Help! Mesh Object Breaking

wantedfelon

Hi, when uploading my mesh I'm running into an issue I've never seen before.

The mesh looks fine in the upload preview [I lowered the settings then imported it without touching anything because I figured that may have caused the problems] but whenever I rez it inworld, it shows a bunch of floating triangles.

Inworld Look

At one point, when zooming out pretty far, the mesh showed regularly but it broke again when zooming in.

I have tried decimating it in Blender, which got it to appear a bit more (more triangles) but if I decimate it too much the actual mesh starts to ruin of course.

Blender Look

Mesh Statistics

Inworld Settings

Can someone please help me fix this?

15 hours ago, wantedfelon said:

Can someone please help me fix this?

31,676 vertices and 62,672 tris - I think that explains it. You can't expect the viewer to handle high poly meshes reliably.

So it's time to clean up your mesh. There are tons of superfluous vertices there so you can easily cut it down to a four digit number of vertices and tris with no notcieable difference in the shape. And if you do the ridges along the sides and the headboard as textures/normal maps, it shouldn't be difficult to get the counts down below 1,000 even.

• Like 2

Hi! Thank you for this feedback, I separated the mesh and brought it in piece by piece with this info which dramatically decreased vertices and tris. The screenshot showed the overall mesh statistics. It still broke inworld, however, I figured it out.

For others having this problem in the future, you can also change the "High" option from "File" to "Generate Precise" when uploading then hit the drop-down from "Triangle Limit" to "Error Threshold". This will show you where it's messing up then change it from 100.00 to 0 and it will stop the breaking of the mesh inworld.

8 hours ago, ChinRey said:

31,676 vertices and 62,672 tris - I think that explains it. You can't expect the viewer to handle high poly meshes reliably.

So it's time to clean up your mesh. There are tons of superfluous vertices there so you can easily cut it down to a four digit number of vertices and tris with no notcieable difference in the shape. And if you do the ridges along the sides and the headboard as textures/normal maps, it shouldn't be difficult to get the counts down below 1,000 even.

WAY too heavy a mesh.  It looks like you either followed a "bad" (meant for a rendered picture and not game use) tutorial  or you imported someone else's (legal now :D) mesh which was also meant for photography.  Oh so many of the edge loops could disappear. 

Decimate is your friend but only up to a point and then things break apart badly. Better to THINK SIMPLY. Textures will help with the overall look inworld.

Nothing that your bed was 223 land impact pretty much tells you that this isn't usable in SL and hopefully you were using the beta grid to test on as I am guessing the cost wasn't my typical 11 lindens per piece of furniture LOL.  

If you don't know how I suggest looking up how to "remove edge loops".  Not hard, just a little time consuming.  Also figure out how the LOD settings in the view can work for or against you and TEST what happens when you change them and view from a distance --- again on the beta grid where it won't cost you.  And watch the physics cost as well as the triangles. 

Don't feel badly. We all had to learn and I don't know anyone who didn't do things "incorrectly" while they were learning :D.  

That bed even with all the wrinkles (decimated there would likely work OK if done carefully) should come in around 10 land impact or so with good LODs for most folks.  

Hopefully it will all work out well for you and think of you will have learned along the way!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2024 at 4:46 PM, wantedfelon said:

Hi! Thank you for this feedback, I separated the mesh and brought it in piece by piece with this info which dramatically decreased vertices and tris. The screenshot showed the overall mesh statistics. It still broke inworld, however, I figured it out.

For others having this problem in the future, you can also change the "High" option from "File" to "Generate Precise" when uploading then hit the drop-down from "Triangle Limit" to "Error Threshold". This will show you where it's messing up then change it from 100.00 to 0 and it will stop the breaking of the mesh inworld.

Please don't load this into SL, high poly models are not suitable for SL in any manner -  will be a nightmare for anybody.

Start with learning the basics if this is your first model

You need to create a low poly model version, for that bed I could make it for around 6 land impact all in using LODS I create and only using the high poly to bake out the normals.

Recreate the model first as a decent low poly model.

I would target for the highest LOD - no more than 3900-4200 polys, Mid to 1800-2000 polys and get your Low (not lowest) to 30 polys. Generate Precise etc (Chic and I may have different opinions on some of this!) does help reduce the heaviness but I suspect based on the original model it's probably a bit of  mess to look at on lower settings from the other side of a room it is in.

Use those parameters above to guide you one what this model should have for uploading and please ensure your unmaps are clean and you don't put on 50 x 1024 textures - pack the UVs and ensure you are using texture space very carefully to reduce the number of textures/size.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1