Does SL have a policy on invisible avatars? invisible except for the nametag

metagalaxy24

Question

8 answers to this question

1 minute ago, metagalaxy24 said:

If you are in a busy place where it makes sense turn nametags off, then they are invisible, with the excpetion of radar.

They are only invisible to YOU.  Everyone else can see your nametag.  So, not invisible. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, metagalaxy24 said:

Does SL have a policy on invisible avatars? There are situations where an invisible avatar can gain an unfair advantage.

How does an invisible avatar -- with nametag still showing -- have an unfair advantage over anything (well, other than performance, which is the whole reason I use an invisible avatar at crowded locations)?

• Like 3

I'm not really sure what 'advantage' an invisible avatar would have these days. Back in the day when I did Monthly Midnight Madness, that was definitely a thing that was encouraged, but these days we can make Graphics Presets in the viewer to jelly-doll other's avatars when at shopping events. And as others have mentioned above, you can still see their name tag and locate them in the Nearby Avatars window, so if they were up to mischief they'd be easy to find and deal with. 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, Spiffy Voxel said:

these days we can make Graphics Presets in the viewer to jelly-doll other's avatars when at shopping events

True - not to mention the option of only rendering friends.  

I guess the whole "me being invisible" thing is more so that I don't render in pieces to others that haven't enabled some of those options.

• Like 1

I believe there used to be a way to hide the nametag, as well as the whole avatar, but the green dot on the map would still show up.  I used to have an attack HUD that had that feature on it.  The attack HUD was open to the small community of users, so users of it used to figure out easter eggs and LSL tricks from it all the time.  I think I figured out how the name tag was hidden once, but I've long since forgotten that bit of trivia.  Might have been a bug that has since been patched.

I never heard of anybody getting in trouble for simply being invisible.  Maybe for doing other things while invisible... you shouldn't orbit people while invisible!  But I think being invisible, in and of itself, is not a violation of TOS.

• Like 1