What are the ideal settings to run this program smoothly in 2024?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 69 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I consistently get over 100 fps except in very crowded place. MUCH however depends on your settings.

image.png.175e8c3e46396348d403c999b6a9650d.png

And your hardware (and to some extent IMV the OS used)... I'm still running a i7/1050 GPU based laptop from 2018. Manage to eke out a few extra fps in Linux vs Win11, due to slightly fewer OS resources needed to run things.

Even with the latest hardware, you may experience lag in crowded places, and/or densely graphical sims. Switching shadows off speeds up things for most residents, which allows the hardware to run a bit cooler.

My typical fps range is 15-60. Yup! I don't go past 60 fps, thanks to my 60 Hz screen @ 1080. Also keeps my laptop from exploding.

32 GB of DDR4 RAM @ 2666 MHz

2TB M.2 SSD... Can't imagine running SL with a spinny platter, forget that!

Edited by JeromFranzic
Nearly forgot to mention fps range... Almost forgot RAM too I need moar java!!!
  • Like 1

Keep your draw distance low-ish, around 64 or maybe slightly higher. Also max. complexity, it's not what most want to hear but the less avatars you render on screen the better your experience is going to be. Trying to render everyone and their stuff is what gives you a big hit on performance. You have to decide what what you can live with , or without in this case. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I consistently get over 100 fps except in very crowded place. MUCH however depends on your settings.

image.png.175e8c3e46396348d403c999b6a9650d.png

I am also NOT on wifi.   Learned that long ago.  My notebook (less hefty ) has plenty of issues but it is only used in emergencies.   

60fps in a busy scene (lots of avatars) is quite hard to achieve in SL. It's possible but clubs for example will often bring absurdly powerful hardware to their knees, it's just not built to cope and has little to do with the hardware but you can throw horsepower at the problem and see results... just not quite what you'd expect from a normal game.

That said if you were looking to achieve this in as many scenarios as possible I would suggest:

CPU: Ryzen 7800X3D for it's very high single core performance, there's faster more expensive Ryzen's but this is the gamers favorite for a reason. I'm not sure what the Intel competition is to this chip but any reasonably modern gaming/workstation tier CPU should do fine in SL, it's just some are obviously better than others.

GPU: Nvidia only, RTX 3080+. 3060 and 3070 also do very well and SL does not scale with GPU power at all but the 3080 series is a great SL card in 2024. If you can afford a 4070, 4080 or 4090 then sure but a 12GB 3080 is a very solid choice for maximising your chance of obtaining 60+fps even in busy scenes. Budget choice is definitely the 3060 12GB since... 12GB VRAM, VRAM is important in SL and you want 8GB or more ideally. Of course the 2080, 2080 Super and 2080Ti are also good options since they perform similarly to 3060, 3060Ti and 3070 respectively.

RAM: As much and as fast as you can afford. DDR4 is fine, DDR5 is of course preferred and would be a given with an AM5 CPU like the 7800X3D. 16GB minimum, 32GB+ preferred since SL will happily consume over 16GB on its own if it can.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Modulated said:

Keep your draw distance low-ish, around 64 or maybe slightly higher

Are you kidding ?... 🤪

It has been many years (over 10, for sure) I have been using 256m as the minimum draw distance in SL, with 512m in islands (sims without any neighbouring sim), or when sailing or flying along/over main land...

64m is ridiculously low: if you cannot do better with your hardware, it is time to upgrade (or opt for a faster viewer)...

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Are you kidding ?... 🤪

It has been many years (over 10, for sure) I have been using 256m as the minimum draw distance in SL, with 512m in islands (sims without any neighbouring sim), or when sailing or flying along/over main land...

64m is ridiculously low: if you cannot do better with your hardware, it is time to upgrade (or opt for a faster viewer)...

giphy.gif

How about helping someone have a better experience on the hardware THEY HAVE instead of telling them to buy this or that or throwing a ridiculously priced shopping list at them?

Edited by Modulated
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Idea: SL needs to add a "dense fog" option, where you can only see things a couple feet away. This would both be a great atmospheric effect, and also be a boon to those with older hardware!

I laugh, but honestly IDK why this isn't an option. It would work perfectly for spookier areas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I am also NOT on wifi.   Learned that long ago.  My notebook (less hefty ) has plenty of issues but it is only used in emergencies.   

I've had very few issues using WiFi for SL. The only time I get into any trouble is if I'm more than 100 feet from the router at home, and the microwave in the kitchen happens to be running. Nothing else interferes with my WiFi at home.

Never restarted mine for SL, either. If I do need to restart the router, it's for a hard reset after dealing with a bad firmware update.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JeromFranzic said:

I laugh, but honestly IDK why this isn't an option. It would work perfectly for spookier areas.

Most of my ideas are like that, sounds like a joke / is half joke, but also has some basis in "maybe it could work"!

39 minutes ago, JeromFranzic said:

I've had very few issues using WiFi for SL. The only time I get into any trouble is if I'm more than 100 feet from the router at home, and the microwave in the kitchen happens to be running. Nothing else interferes with my WiFi at home.

Never restarted mine for SL, either. If I do need to restart the router, it's for a hard reset after dealing with a bad firmware update.

Yeah zero issues on WiFi. I can understand how connection quality makes a big difference in SL because of course it does but these days... everyone has pretty good WiFi, the tech is very mature and even most of the ISP supplied router/AP combos are surprisingly good.

I remember back in the old days that sometimes wasn't always true but... we're talking a long time now and even then fixing it was still a case of deploying multiple AP's if necessary in certain houses.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

64m is ridiculously low: if you cannot do better with your hardware, it is time to upgrade

It is not so outlandish for iGPUs like non-gaming notebooks. I frequently use 64m on my lowly Lenovo T14 with AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650U with Radeon Graphics with an attached 2560x1200 screen (and VRAM overriden to be 4GB of the 32 GB installed). Thats still pretty much crap, but better than nothing. With 256m it becomes a full bad slideshow.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Kathrine Jansma said:

It is not so outlandish for iGPUs like non-gaming notebooks.

That's why you cannot recommend such a poor hardware for SLing... iGPUs or APUs = no go.

3 hours ago, Modulated said:

How about helping someone have a better experience on the hardware THEY HAVE instead of telling them to buy this or that or throwing a ridiculously priced shopping list at them?

Any discrete GPU equal or better to a GTX 1070 and any 6-core (+SMT) CPU with 16GB RAM will render SL at 30+ fps (and 60+ in most cases), even with a 256m draw distance...

If you cannot do that with this (relatively) old hardware, then your viewer is poorly optimized: try another. I think I am helping people with ”weak” hardware a lot already, via the Cool VL Viewer development (the latter can even run at 20+fps and 256m DD on my old potato (4th) computer equipped with a GTX 460 and a Quad Core2 Q6600 @ 3.4GHz, with 8GB RAM, but of course, in forward rendering mode only, not in ALM or PBR)...

As for modern SLing, any system with a 4+ GHz octo-core (+SMT) CPU with any modern discrete GPU equipped with 8GB of VRAM or more and 32GB of RAM will do very nicely, and you will not need to spend a fortune for such a system either...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp

If you want faster fps 

You need to turn of vsync in manage 3d settings and in also be running firestorm viewer and turn off  freesync and G-sync With those enabled you fps will be that of the monitors refresh rate.

Assuming you have a 200 htz monitor 3600 ram or faster and a 3800X3D along with a rtx 3060 3070 4060 4070 U can expect 200 fps in busy sims and 380 in not busy sims with the viewer at half settings with atmospheric shaders and advanced lighting off in game menu.

In busy sims u can expect the following fps on these processors presuming you did the following advice.

On a ryzen 3800x its 110Fps  in busy sim

On a ryzen 5600x its 130fps in busy sim

On a ryzen 5500 its 109 fps in busy sim

On a ryzen 5800x3d its 200 Fps to 380

Definition of vsync bellow

VSync, short for vertical synchronization, is a graphics technology designed to sync a game’s frame rate with the refresh rate of a gaming monitor. 

Second life.png

Edited by rottweiler Lednev
add pic
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JeromFranzic said:

Have you checked your FPS with and without wifi?   That was part of the OP and mine are about 25 percent different.   

On 3/14/2024 at 12:12 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Have you checked your FPS with and without wifi?   That was part of the OP and mine are about 25 percent different.   

It's fairly consistent for me, as long as I'm within 100 feet of my router. Within 100 feet, no difference between the wireless or Ethernet. If it's a bit further out than 100 feet, sure, there's some FPS drop but it's not too bad for me. I'm in an apartment ATM so I'm not more than 20-25 feet away from the router, no need for me to use a repeater.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 69 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.