Chat logs unreadable?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 109 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Benson Gravois said:

So when I look at my chat logs on my computer, I found the spot from the directory in firestorm, the chat is all in strange symbols and not letters? How are we supposed to read this???

Are you opening the file specific to the person you were chatting with?  It's not the Conversation file but the file with an avatars name.  If I had talked with you in IM, I'd open the file that said Benson Gravois and all our chat would be there and readable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Benson Gravois said:

So when I look at my chat logs on my computer, I found the spot from the directory in firestorm, the chat is all in strange symbols and not letters? How are we supposed to read this???

In addition to the IM files, there may be files for Groups (if you have the Group Chat enabled), and one or more general chat logs (a single chat.txt or multiples with dates on them) if you've enabled saving general chat.  Ignore the conversation file entirely.

Could it be that FS saved the chat in an UTF (8 or 16) format and you are trying to read it with an ISO editor nor recognizing UTF character sets ?...

I did not yet have a look at the emoji-viewer(s), but while chat and IM logs have so far used the ISO character set, they might now use UTF-8 (likely) or even UTF-16, so to be able to store the emoji's...

The worst case scenario would be a viewer with emoji support that would append UTF-16 text to and existing ISO chat log: the editor you are using could then get mislead into considering the whole file is ISO, and display it as such, and you'd get a nul (0) character interleaved with each ASCII character at the end of your log...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 109 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.