Advice needed on mesh texture becoming blurry when zooming

WilliamDfoe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 78 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone

I am hoping someone will be able to help me with an issue I am facing. My texture on mesh goes blurry as soon as I zoom out at pretty much any range, even when relatively close.

Here is how I'd expect the mesh texture to look (looks right when zoomed right in)

https://prnt.sc/GldyEHWNk4CW

But whenever I zoom out it goes blurry like below, and it's not even zoomed out far.

https://prnt.sc/WY2hYkVtkcxA

The texture is at 1024x1024

Or is it normal given how small the can is?

Any help is appreciated

Edited by WilliamDfoe

5 hours ago, WilliamDfoe said:

Here is how I'd expect the mesh texture to look (looks right when zoomed right in)

Zoomin-min(1).thumb.png.76ad33a4bf14f6abdd8899dd00806ede.png

But whenever I zoom out it goes blurry like below, and it's not even zoomed out far.

Zoomout-min.png.a6c53e2604ee802fe81f1581f68b3c65.png

Or is it normal given how small the can is?

My guess is as long as the label of the tin is using as much of the UV space as possible then there is not alot that you can do about it.

(Maybe you could try sharpening the image texturea little before uploading but unfortunately I don't think it is going to make alot of difference).

For comparrison here is a similar tin :

2-min.thumb.png.dbc09cc2c1338ef748e1a70ff35bb78b.png

ScreenshotSL-min.thumb.PNG.090562e76937747783e26e67494269f3.PNG

Only suggestion I will give is, if like mine the top and bottom of the tin is only using a blank colour then you could get away with using a smaller image texure,  1024 x 512  and still have the same pixel resolution. :)

3-min(1).thumb.png.d9672cb39cd826c81c8dd3db6810f089.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jenny Ashland said:

Also make sure you use a .jpeg (png, tga tend to be blurry) and use more dpi. I use 300 dpi, that seems to actually help a lot, since you are actually stretching the texture on an object. 

DPI is used for physical printing, it doesn't do anything for digital images.

PNG and TGA are lossless formats, JPEG is lossy. If you save your work as JPEG, the quality degrades before you even upload it.

• Like 2

Keep in mind I am not talking about baking a texture into the mesh. I am talking for what she is doing and that is putting an image on an already created mesh. Also jpeg are better for complex images like 3d. They take less time to load. PNG are good when you are dealing with a transparency like windows, but they take longer to load. Wulfie is right, PNG would be ideal if we were dealing with real 3d platforms like unreal engine and unity... but this is SL... it is dated. They are building on an obsolete system. (It is why you have to "dumb" down your mesh so much to upload it.) 

• Haha 1

On 2/13/2024 at 4:33 AM, Jenny Ashland said:

Yes but it is not blurry... trust me, I have tried every combo over the years. 2048x2048 jpeg at 100% at 300dpi look the best.

SL shrinks all images to a maximum of 1024x1024 internally. Your jpeg uploads are getting resampled and interpolated, which is why you're not seeing so much jpeg artifacting. If it looks good, then it looks good, but your results are unusual.

And dpi (ppi) DOES matter when you are wrapping something around a 3d object.

Pixel resolution absolutely matters, and it's maximized by using larger textures and by intelligently unwrapping your UVs to use as much texture space as possible. But the dpi stat is meaningless in this process and ignored by SL. It's optional hint data meant to indicate how big the image is intended to be when printed on paper. A 1024x1024 texture wrapped around a can in SL will look the same no matter what dpi you say it is (unless your paint program does something odd like add extra, dpi-dependent post-processing steps during export, I guess).

Also jpeg are better for complex images like 3d. They take less time to load.

They might take less time to upload to SL but that only happens once. SL shrinks all uploaded images to 1024x1024, max, then compresses them with its own algorithm (unless you pick the "lossless" option, which is only available for smallish images, say, 64x64). That processed image is the only one SL stores, and it's what's sent to other residents when they look at your object in-world and their client renders it. You can't make that file smaller by uploading a compressed image initially.

Unless you mean jpegs are faster for your Photoshop/Blender/etc. programs to load, in which case, sure, but you're still trading quality for negligible speed increases in a non-speed-critical step.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/13/2024 at 11:58 AM, Jenny Ashland said:

Also make sure you use a .jpeg (png, tga tend to be blurry) and use more dpi. I use 300 dpi, that seems to actually help a lot, since you are actually stretching the texture on an object. 

Completely and utterly wrong on all counts.

JPG/JEPG is a LOSSSSY compression format, it ADDS blur.

PNG is a LOSSLESS compression format, no added blur.

"DPI" is  ONLY relevant when printing HARDCOPY, on paper, it has exactly SSOD ALL effect when texturing 3D objects in a digital world. NONE.

oh-no-emoji.gif.b224468c6390c0b4b2f06c31bd84979d.gif

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 12:59 PM, Jenny Ashland said:

Keep in mind I am not talking about baking a texture into the mesh. I am talking for what she is doing and that is putting an image on an already created mesh. Also jpeg are better for complex images like 3d. They take less time to load. PNG are good when you are dealing with a transparency like windows, but they take longer to load

WRONG again.

Pay attention.

You should make your textures in a LOSSLESS format, then upload, as SL uses JPEG2000 internally for all textures, regardless of what they will be used for.

Uploading JPG's to SL which then converts them to JPEG2000, means you get TWO applications of LOSSY Compression blur. Double the image quality degredation.

Uploading PNG means you only get one level of degredation.

Further, uploading at 2k resolution means every image gets resized to 1024 resolution by SL, which uses a bloody awful image resizing method.

Literally every piece of advice you've given is wrong.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 78 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.