im a blue cloud to every one and i dont use phinix and none of the fixes work?

Gracefaith Tempest

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have tha game on mudtilpe comupters and when i trying to put it on the one in my bed room. every time i log on im a clude and none of the fixes work. and have tryed every veiwer and redaonloaded every thing. but nada.  its the same on my lap top as well. the only differnce i can think of between all the computers is that these 2 are on wirless inter net.

4 answers to this question

Good deduction. The cloud is what you look like because your avatar has not fully loaded, that means all the information that makes you look like you hasn't gotten to your computer yet from the servers in Second Life. The wireless will slow this process down. What you can do to help it along is to go to a low lag area like Smith and open your inventory recent tab and wait for it to stop fetching, then you shouldn't be a cloud anymore. If you still are, you may need to clear your cache. Sometimes textures get corrupted if they only partially download. 

• Like 1

If I understand what you discribe correctly you have this problem on one computer located in your bedroom and all other computers are showing your avatar correctly.  You also said that two of your computers connect to the Internet wirelessly.  I have a question:  Is the computer that is showing your avatar as a cloud one of the two computers that connect to the Internet wirelessly?  Wireless connections are substanially slower connections than wired (connection via a Cat 5e Ethernet cable) and because of that they are inherently much slower.........and that makes them much less reliable.  Wirelessly connected computers have this problem way more than wired computer when using Second Life.  The nature of the program requires a fast, stable and reliable connection to the Internet to have satisfactory performance.  If this is one of those wirelessly connected computers try connecting using an Ethernet cable.

There is another potential problem too.  The speed of the computer, it's system RAM, it's graphics capabilities, and it's operating system (along with that operating system's setup....how it's configured).  It could be that the computer having the problem is just not capable of running SL a well as the other computers. 

Clearing the cache usually fixes the problem, however you said you did that already.  It still could be a cache problem (though it's not common if you've cleared the cache a couple times using the clear cache feature in the SL preferences).  A way to clear your cache more completely is to do it manually (manually deleting the caches from your computer).  The way I recommend you do that is to go into your preferences (you can do that at the log in screen) and looking at the cache location that is shown on whatever tab you go to for clearing your cache the usual way........it's shown in the box next to the clear cache button.  Make note of the location.........if you can't see the entire path just right click in the box, choose "select all", right click again in the box and choose "copy".  You can then open a word editor (such as Notepad on a Windows system) and paste...........you can then read the entire path.  It's important to have the entire path so that you don't wind up at the wrong folder and delete files not related to your cache problem and possibly cause more issues (in addition to the cache issue you already have.........you don't want to introduce another problem to have to fix).  Close the SL viewer and navigate to that cache location and manually delete everything in that folder.  You can then restart your computer (I really don't think that's a necessary step but it does no harm).  Try SL again.  And this time log into one of the LL supported sims such as Pooley, Aqua, or Smith (as already suggested).  Open your inventory and look to see if it's started to load........if not then in the search field type A, B, C, etc. until you see the item counter start.  Wait until the counter completes it's count.........it will probably start and stop a few times but wait for it to stop completely (this can take quite some time so be patient).  Don't be moving around too much and do not try to change clothes, appearance, or anything.........just wait (you might want to move off the landing point to the sim to keep from getting other avatars landing on top of you........but not anything more).  Once your inventory has loaded completely you should not be having the problem any more.  If you do, then your problem is very unlikely to be a cache problem and your looking at some other reason for the problem. 

Clearing cache, whether you use the button in Preferences or do it manually, often clears up the fluffy cloud problem. It's a nice short-term fix, but if you have a chronic problem all it's doing is fixing the symptom.  Here's the issue .....

To save time and effort, your viewer uses a cached copy of your inventory that is stored on your own computer.  Among other things, your avatar's appearance is also cached.  If the cache becomes corrupted, clearing it and forcing your viewer to create a new copy can solve the problem.  Your viewer bakes a fresh appearance file onto your av, uploads it to SL's servers, and you're cured. It doesn't deal with whatever corrupted the files in the first place, though.  That wireless connection could easily be the problem, as you and others have already guessed.  Even on a private system, you lose bandwidth to things like cell phones and garage door openers. If you have a weakened signal, it's more easily interrupted and you can have chronic file transfer issues. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.