No Animation Overrider AO in SL Viewer

Scout Schwager

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I started using the SL viewer finally, to benefit from the "physics" and the good handling of Outfits.

I got so used to integrated animation overriders AO (in Emerald and Imprudence) its only after a week I realize there is no integrated AO with the sl viiewer.. is there?

Crud. So I will have to drag my animation sets and and cards BACK out of inventory and into one of those old-fashioned HUDS.. rats pita

Here's something I don't think many people ever think about when they want LL to provide features built into the SL viewers.  LL provides a platform that allows individual residents the ability to make such things as animation overrides and, most importantly, the platform gives those amination override creators a way to sell those AO's to other residents (one of the unique qualities of SL).  Now comes the part I think no one (or, at least, very few) ever thinks about.  Say LL provided such things as animation overrides........incorporates them into their official viewers.  Does that not effectively put those AO creators at a huge disadvantage......can they compete on anywhere near equal footing with the provider of the platform (especially when the provider is giving the AO away free)?  That would be akin to the distributor for your local gasoline station selling to the public the same gasoline at a lower price than the distributor sells to the gasoline station.......how would the gasoline station compete?

We had a similar situation a couple years ago (probably longer but in the not too distant past anyway) where LL was releasing Mainland sims, building Continents.  At the same time they were selling Private Estates encouraging the buyers to provide land for other residents.  That produced all that Land Baron (some dishonest, most honest trying to mimick Anshe Chung's accomplishments at huge real life income.  There was a huge outcry from (and many heated discussions on the old Resident Answers forum) claiming unfair competion on LL's part............and that is exactly what was happening.  The only good thing that came out of that relatively short period of time was it put most of the dishonest land barons out of business...........at the expense of the honest people.  The land business is still suffering from that fiasco today.  That's part of the reason there is so much unoccupied land on the Mainland Continents.

At least with TPV's the competition is not coming from the provider of the platform that encourages resident creation for such features.  We (us residents) are often our own worse enemy when it comes to features that LL provides for us to use free.

I’m not sure it’s the same as the land debacle… someone still has to make wonderful animations to fill the AO that you’re going to wear or the Viewer AO you’re going to load.  Honestly I think the majority of people who purchase AO’s will still appreciate the simplicity of ‘wear me’ and you’re off and AOing without any drama rather than the flexibility of building the AO of their dreams from their inventory with a viewer feature.  Folks like Scout are in the clever minority in my experience who enjoy poking about in all their viewers to find customization features and tricks.

If someone purchases my AOs or HUDs and pulls out the anims to stuff into their viewer AO feature they’ve still thankfully purchased my animations and they’re welcome to whatever magic works for them.  Hopefully I’m not naïve or misguided in that thinking.

Enjoy yourselves…

Lanas

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

[...] can they compete on anywhere near equal footing with the provider of the platform (especially when the provider is giving the AO away free)? ]...]

considering that 90% of AO's are already free? or tweaked versions of the free code originally offered up by Francis Chung?

Yes.

and the reason why is simple, while the base functions of an AO can be moved more efficiently to the viewer, they cannot be easily modified to do extended tasks.

sor instance, I rebuilt my own so that it also reports to other attachments the current animation state, and takes commands from them to change AO sets automatically when I change avs, built originally on the old 1.4 framination code. 1 ao, multiple sets, and attachment integration.

now granted, I am a scripter, and I've never released the code, but others could do it... and sell it even.... basic AO's are free everywhere already, so putting one in the viewer doesn't hurt anyones business model.... there are only two or three non-free AO's and all of them offer extended features (the akeyo one lets you buy new anims rigth from the ao hud, for example, although I find it to be overscripted)

Thanks for the tips, I loaded Firestorm, and its pretty good. Kind of a best of V2 and V1 haha.

And consider that the coolness of using an integrated AO is I can switch them quickly. So a guy like me could, and does purchase several to try and use. The best stands I combine into a Best-Of AO set.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.