How Does One "Release Land" ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 109 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

assuming you own the land in your own name

stand on your land. Then (in Linden viewer) menu: World \ About Land \ General \ Abandon Land button

before you do this tho, best to take all your stuff back into your Inventory

Edited by elleevelyn
  • Like 2

If you're downgrading (reducing) the amount of land you own so that you'll pay less tier, you must not forget to change the amount you want to pay tier on in your account. Just abandoning land to go down a tier level doesn't reduce the tier you'll continue paying. That has to be done manually in your account.

That's not necessary if you're downgrading your account to Basic, but it is necessary of you're downgrading your account to one that can still own land; i.e. Premium or Plus.

Edited by Phil Deakins

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

If you're downgrading (reducing) the amount of land you own so that you'll pay less tier, you must not forget to change the amount you want to pay tier on in your account. Just abandoning land to go down a tier level doesn't reduce the tier you'll continue paying. That has to be done manually in your account.

That's not necessary if you're downgrading your account to Basic, but it is necessary of you're downgrading your account to one that can still own land; i.e. Premium or Plus.

no, you are wrong, you could set your tier level to a full sim if you wanted to, but you are only charged for the maximum tier level you use. lowering the tier level on your dashboard is done so you will be notified if you are about to go to a higher tier level

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

That may have been true in the past but no longer.  From the land use fee page.of your account...

If you release land holdings or donations and want to receive tier warnings at a new, lower level, you must tier-down using the radio buttons below. (You may remain at the higher tier level without penalty; tier fees are only charged for the total amount of land actually held within your billing cycle.) If you don't lower your tier and purchase more land, no warnings are sent, as you are still within the tier you allotted.

Oh, ok. I stand corrected :)

I don't remember the full details but do remember making a mistake in the past and ending up paying for more tier than I had land for. I do know that the tier level in my account was higher than the land I had after I'd got rid of some that took me to the next lower tier level, and that I was still paying the higher tier level until I noticed and changed it down in my account.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2024 at 5:15 AM, Phil Deakins said:

Oh, ok. I stand corrected :)

I don't remember the full details but do remember making a mistake in the past and ending up paying for more tier than I had land for. I do know that the tier level in my account was higher than the land I had after I'd got rid of some that took me to the next lower tier level, and that I was still paying the higher tier level until I noticed and changed it down in my account.

yea that happened to me in the past too, but it was many years ago, before the first price reduction of tier.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 109 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.