PBR WOW!

Luna Bliss

27 minutes ago, Modulated said:

That may change in the future...at the dev meetings a Linden discussed something called the Avatar Control System, which would be their version of rlv. Just talk but it's on the radar.

Yeah they tried "an LL alternative to RLVa" before, it's called Experience Code.

The new thing will be as lack-luster as before, and will mainly appeal to the "Art Griefers", who proclaim themselves to be "artistes" and demand the right to fubar everyone else's graphics settings in the name of their failed attempts at making "art".

Another BAD idea from LL.

Instead of using "industry standard" RLVa, they are going to try and clone it, badly, leaving out most of it's critical functionality, and producing a bug ridden mess that's not fit for purpose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Modulated said:

That may change in the future...at the dev meetings a Linden discussed something called the Avatar Control System, which would be their version of rlv. Just talk but it's on the radar.

The other major thing is the way the chat windows are setup. I MUCH prefer the way FS has it. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Yeah they tried "an LL alternative to RLVa" before, it's called Experience Code.

The new thing will be as lack-luster as before, and will mainly appeal to the "Art Griefers", who proclaim themselves to be "artistes" and demand the right to fubar everyone else's graphics settings in the name of their failed attempts at making "art".

Another BAD idea from LL.

Instead of using "industry standard" RLVa, they are going to try and clone it, badly, leaving out most of it's critical functionality, and producing a bug ridden mess that's not fit for purpose.

Possibly. Absolutely maybe. But the chat window structure in FS is far superior to any other in my opinion, and that also makes the official viewer, and other viewers with that type of structure useless to me.

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 1

i think my biggest issue is i don't care about having materials turned on all the time, if i could turn them off like before im sure my fps would shoot up again, but with the fact we're forced to have them on all the time its bugging things out. I went back to the old viewer and in the place i was getting 6fps on pbr shot straight up to 20 on the before pbr firestorm and got better the more i stood and waited. 

Edited by Omegaslayer

On 6/23/2024 at 4:06 PM, Bagnu said:

The downside of the official viewer is that it doesn't support RLVa. To some of us, that makes it totally useless, no matter how stable it is. And honestly, I rarely crash with FS if I am using an official release, and not a beta. I have been down to 2 FPS with no crash even on my older PC's. I have zero experience with MAC though.

i don't use rlv but with pbr on sims i was getting 20fps and climbing im now getting 6, i can't continue using second life at this rate when the old firestorm viewers close. Not all of us can afford high end pc's and to me it just feels like the inclusiveness we had before where even with lower end computers it was laggy but we got by nicely is gone, it's now become a place where if you don't have an amazing computer then tough luck.

Edited by Omegaslayer
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Omegaslayer said:

i don't use rlv but with pbr on sims i was getting 20fps and climbing im now getting 6, i can't continue using second life at this rate when the old firestorm viewers close. Not all of us can afford high end pc's and to me it just feels like the inclusiveness we had before where even with lower end computers it was laggy but we got by nicely is gone, it's now become a place where if you don't have an amazing computer then tough luck.

I really DO agree with you. There should be multiple versions, so everyone can be in SL. I don't want any of my friends to not be able to login because their PC isn't capable. I would be pissed as hell if that happened!!! Not to mention actually hurt!!!

Edited by Bagnu

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

I really DO agree with you. There should be multiple versions, so everyone can be in SL. I don't want any of my friends to not be able to login because their PC isn't capable. I would be pissed as hell if that happened!!! Not to mention actually hurt!!!

exactly there should be, i know theres people i adore talking to on second life and rping with and i would hate for them to have to leave and well i'd be forced along with them. I would adore a high end pc, i'd love to be in a situation i can afford that but i simply can't and my situation isn't going to change anytime soon. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bagnu said:

There are. There are older viewers, and a viewer written with by someone with a... let's say "strong preference"... for the old forward rendering system.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
Apparently I had a small stroke when typing the word "preference."
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2024 at 6:52 PM, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Yikes, that's bad! I got similar performance on my old HP desktop with a GeForce 6600 GT. Granted, I knew better than to run around on Ultra with shadows on with that thing, but I kept it fairly decent, shadows off, ALM on, and a much higher draw distance. 

I wonder how that laptop performs now with PBR. Definitely would need to turn down some of those settings.

I did the referenced post about the M3 Max Macbook SL performance.  For what its worth, PBR hasn't hurt performance, in fact it looks like I'm getting more frames now.  I haven't tested it in any thorough way or anything, just notice I'm often at noticeably higher FPS than I used to be, and this is with every setting literally maxed.

Edited by halleyyyy