Why did my string become a ribbon?

Orwar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 168 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Could someone please explain how this:

7951e4e5b8dad37f51e649abb32710cb.png?ex=

When uploaded into SL becomes this:

3b67cb4a749d591d61d2a391300a2df0.png

I know complicated philosophical questions such as 'what is the difference between a string and a ribbon' may be heavy stuff, but .. Yeah, I don't even know. That's not what I modelled, why is it there? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Could someone please explain how this:

7951e4e5b8dad37f51e649abb32710cb.png?ex=

When uploaded into SL becomes this:

3b67cb4a749d591d61d2a391300a2df0.png

I know complicated philosophical questions such as 'what is the difference between a string and a ribbon' may be heavy stuff, but .. Yeah, I don't even know. That's not what I modelled, why is it there? 

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy.

The loop of string object is over 10mm wide, but less than 10mm thick, minimum size for any object in SL is 10mm x 10mm x 10mm.

"Nano-mesh" get's past this by having some lonely verts at least 10mm apart, that are NOT connected together to make triangles in the main part of the object.

For your string, 2 verts, one 5 mm either side of the thing would make it count as 10mm thick.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

"Nano-mesh" get's past this by having some lonely verts at least 10mm apart, that are NOT connected together to make triangles in the main part of the object.

Ooh .. Well I'll try throwing a few stray vertices in and see if that fixes it. Thanks!

As already mentioned, the minimum Bounding Box dimensions of a mesh object is 10 x 10 x 10mm. Some of the usual work-arounds are :

• Before exporting, simply increase the Bounding Box dimensions by rotating the object, see post in this earlier thread :

• Use a collapsed triangle to increase BB size, see Wulfie's post in the same thread :

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/492125-how-to-make-thin-mesh/#comment-2520237

•  Use a single vertex to increase BB dimension :

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/443860-how-to-level-small-objects/#comment-1985929

• Before exporting, increase the size of the BB by joining the very thin object to a second object.

Edited by Aquila Kytori
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 168 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.