How to level small objects

Adryana Schintauer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone!
I'm learning how to create objects in Blender and have researched and read all the help tutorials, but I can't find my doubt.
I need to level up small objects, like a button, and even if you set the scale to a minimum, the object is still big.
Can someone help me and tell me how should I do?
I leave the object very small in blender and scale to a minimum and yet it is still large when in SL.

https://gyazo.com/e0cc8d2c0c81f073ec934c41936cc597

:(

Dryca

1 hour ago, Adryana Schintauer said:

Hello everyone!
I'm learning how to create objects in Blender and have researched and read all the help tutorials, but I can't find my doubt.
I need to level up small objects, like a button, and even if you set the scale to a minimum, the object is still big.
I leave the object very small in blender and scale to a minimum and yet it is still large when in SL.

https://gyazo.com/e0cc8d2c0c81f073ec934c41936cc597

:(

Dryca

There is a MINIMUM size for mesh imports just as there is a minimum size for prims -- so the uploader will ENLARGE an object to fit those minimums. You would not normally upload a button by itself. Typically you make your item -- sometimes composed of various parts -- and then JOIN them to be a single mesh object. This solves the "small button" problem. Even if you wanted a "clutter of buttons" you would make copies of the button in Blender (or other 3D program) and then join them and upload the whole "clutter set" as one object.    Hope that helps. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the SL forums :)

As Chic has already mentioned the smallest a mesh object can be is  10 x 10 x 10mm  (0.01 x 0.01 x 0.01 m).

That's the X Y Z Bounding box dimensions of the object.

Your little button"s bounding box  is less than 10mm along the Z axis so it is being stretched by the SL mesh uploader to the minimum dimensions.

4 hours ago, Adryana Schintauer said:

There are different work-a-rounds to overcome this stretching, and as you have already guessed they  involve different ways of  increasing the bounding box size to be at least 10 x 10 x 10mm.

In Blender the neatest way of doing this is to add a single "extra" vertex.

Normally a single vertex (loose vertices) would be automatically deleted from the Collada file,  but if we make that vertex the first in the list It will not be deleted.  😉

1: Starting with our simple button with dimensions 16 x 16 x 2 mm :

1a.thumb.png.49c42230db067cd7b7e194d8d253aa7d.png

2: We position a single vertex below the button so that the bounding box size of the button will be increased to at least 10mm along the Z axis:

2.thumb.png.359cf7d3b6414c2eb8335def46a4a812.png

3: In Edit mode, with only the new vertex selected open the Mesh menu, find the Sort Elements and choose the Selected option.

3.thumb.png.1f6202ff2adf031b90dfd86dd7be1fa5.png

That's it.

Now you can export and import into SL.

When rezzed  inworld you will not see the extra vertex but it will be there to increase the bounding box size and so prevent the button from being stretched.

4.thumb.png.cc5668b898b8c377b1a27ae0555655bb.png

and as Chic mentioned you would not normally upload a single button by itself :) but now you know that if  necessary you can.

Edited : Bonus screenshot :)

5.thumb.png.cf93d2f76448d528e45041effc9b0417.png

Edited by Aquila Kytori
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.