How to make thin mesh

JenniferLimana

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

One of the things i'm struggling with, and if this has been posted before, please link it; is trying to export thin mesh, ie a piece of 2 sided paper or a thin craft stick. SL defaults things to a certain thickness but others have created paper that's thin, and I'm trying to figure out how. I've tried various keywords, watched countless yt videos - and still no luck. How can i import mesh that's thin? If it matters, I use maya 2022. I've tried creating 2 planes and placing them back to back but then i have the issue of the sides. Any advice is appreciated. 

Edited by JenniferLimana

If you simply have two planes that are at the same location but facing different directions, there shouldn't be anything special you need to do, besides making sure the planes are joined as one object before you export the DAE from your program.

A more general answer for how to upload very thin mesh into Second Life is to expand the model with extra geometry.

Objects in Second Life must be at least 0.01 meters per side. To make a smaller object fit this requirement is to add a thin triangle to the model, to artificially make the bounding box bigger. Like this:

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JenniferLimana said:

One of the things i'm struggling with, and if this has been posted before, please link it; is trying to export thin mesh, ie a piece of 2 sided paper or a thin craft stick. SL defaults things to a certain thickness but others have created paper that's thin, and I'm trying to figure out how. I've tried various keywords, watched countless yt videos - and still no luck. How can i import mesh that's thin? If it matters, I use maya 2022. I've tried creating 2 planes and placing them back to back but then i have the issue of the sides. Any advice is appreciated. 

Have you tried using the "solidifify" modifier (in Blender anyway) and keeping the  depth very thin.  There is a minimum size in any direction as well as a maximum.  You can get around that by adding invisible cubes, triangles or vertices around what you are uploading.  If your piece of paper doesn't need to be exactly flat you can also (maybe I don't think I have tried this) pull a few vertices off the plan thus making it "fatter". 

Here is the LIMITS wiki

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits

And I see Wulfie was typing at the same time so likely ideas there too. 

EDIT:  And if you can add items together like three pieces of paper and JOIN THEM that would likely solve your problem also. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 2

Another workaround for the SL minimum Bounding Box dimensions ( 10 x 10 x 10mm) for something like a piece of paper is, instead of adding extra geometry to increase the BB dimensions, simply rotate the model a little before exporting, then when rezzed in-world rotate it back to how it should have been.

In the example below the paper is 0.2mm thick (Z axis), after rotating it 10° the BB Z dimension becomes 70mm :

385587171_IncreaseBB.thumb.gif.584096a91722939ce1df21f931e89897.gif

Rezzed in-world :

rezzed-min.thumb.png.460cac5ca81926a9eae73729b1fd4e59.png

But for something so thin it would be better to do as Wulfie suggested, duplicate the top face of the paper and flip the duplicates normals for the back face.

Edited by Aquila Kytori
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.