[help] Viewer slow response

yuyuxin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi

Yesterday, when I was using Firestorm normally, the entire computer suddenly froze.  About five seconds later the computer returns to normal, but Firestorm automatically closes.

When I opened Firestorm again, it became very slow. When I click on a menu, it takes a long time for it to be clicked. The screen in the game seems to be static and refreshes every two to three seconds.

But, strangely, if the software is running in the background, it becomes very smooth.

I tried the official Viewer and it had the same problem. But only in SL. My other software and games all run smoothly.

Does anyone know the reason and solution?

I'm guessing this is with the PBR version? Do let us know how you fixed the problem. Some users have reported slow loading and rezzing times with crowds in different PBR viewers... I've put up with it too, even with my fast connection. Doesn't matter if I'm in Windows 11 or Linux.

As mentioned elsewhere, for me rez times of avatars and objects is slower with the PBR viewer - much, much slower in busier places. In fact as far as I can tell, in some busy places some of the textures never download.

The performance monitor showed 3 green lights - for server, internet and client while I was at a busy place waiting ages for things to rez.

I did a broadband speed test which showed a download speed of 578 Mb/s, upload speed of 53 Mb/s ad a ping time of 21 ms. I reckon that's pretty fast!

Assuming the new PBR viewer is the one that new residents now download, their first impressions of Second Life aren't going to be very positive.

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 1

The slow mesh loading and avatars stuck as clouds are two bugs introduced by Linden Lab in v7. Alchemy has a couple of bandaids in place for these so far, but LL really need to fix these ASAP, as I have been getting new residents at the Welcome Hub asking why all avatars are still clouds.

• Like 2

Since the the PBR viewer is almost unusable unless you're on your own in a quiet place, due to slow very rezzing, I thought I'd try the Cool viewer. I downloaded it and it worked fine, even in busy places with high graphics. I did have to stop using it though as the fan on my computer was humming louder than I've ever heard it before!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Conifer Dada said:

I did have to stop using it though as the fan on my computer was humming louder than I've ever heard it before!

”Preferences” floater -> ”Cool features” tab -> ”Misc.” sub-tab -> ”Frame rate limit” spinner. Do read the tool tip and enjoy a quiet, cool and fast SLing (frame rate limiting will even lower rezzing time with the Cool VL Viewer, thanks to its smart ”free time” per frame utilization algorithm).

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Thanks 2

On 12/7/2023 at 1:24 PM, Henri Beauchamp said:

”Preferences” floater -> ”Cool features” tab -> ”Misc.” sub-tab -> ”Frame rate limit” spinner. Do read the tool tip and enjoy a quiet, cool and fast SLing (frame rate limiting will even lower rezzing time with the Cool VL Viewer, thanks to its smart ”free time” per frame utilization algorithm).

I set the frame rate to 30 and the fan has calmed down a bit. Movement is smooth and things rez reasonably fast. Thanks. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.