Private region server upgrade that adds 10k prims, a question!

Thecla

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 150 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm contemplating upgrading my private region from 20k prims to 30k. Does doing so include any changes that increase performance, or do they simply make a config change for your region that allows 10k more prims? That seems like a bit of a rip off if that is the case, particularly since your sim performance is likely to go down if you up your prims (and likely scripts) by 50%.

Anyone know more details about this option?

Edited by Thecla

1 hour ago, Thecla said:

I'm contemplating upgrading my private region from 20k prims to 30k. Does doing so include any changes that increase performance, or do they simply make a config change for your region that allows 10k more prims? That seems like a bit of a rip off if that is the case, particularly since your sim performance is likely to go down if you up your prims (and likely scripts) by 50%.

Anyone know more details about this option?

it's a land impact upgrade, you won't get a super region. It's no rip off, it is what it is,  and asks wisdom from the user/owner, not to stuff it with bad made high poly mesh or super large texturing.

Ok so it's just a config change. That's too bad. I was hoping you'd get a higher memory allocation since you're paying an ongoing fee. Assuming an efficiently built sim where textures are appropriately sized, running scripts are minimized, prims/mesh are grouped to reduce LI,  etc, it stands to reason that if you charge someone a monthly fee for the ability to add 50% more LI, you give them equivalent performance to a standard sim. Otherwise you're kind of just charging them for the opportunity to &$%@ themselves and their visitors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thecla said:

Ok so it's just a config change. That's too bad. I was hoping you'd get a higher memory allocation since you're paying an ongoing fee. Assuming an efficiently built sim where textures are appropriately sized, running scripts are minimized, prims/mesh are grouped to reduce LI,  etc, it stands to reason that if you charge someone a monthly fee for the ability to add 50% more LI, you give them equivalent performance to a standard sim. Otherwise you're kind of just charging them for the opportunity to &$%@ themselves and their visitors.

The product is just for increased objects, nothing more, nothing less. And it's also always been offered that way, so what you think about it is just opinion because you imagined there would be more, but thats nowhere ever said.

But there's another option for you, just a little more expensive as the 30 dollars you had to spend for just the Land Impact

8 hours ago, Thecla said:

That seems like a bit of a rip off if that is the case, particularly since your sim performance is likely to go down if you up your prims (and likely scripts) by 50%.

Very much depends what you're going to rezz. If it'll be 10k li worth of vendors or even worse, 10k worth of breedables, then yes, it'll go down by a lot. If it'll be mostly landscape, decor, some furniture, then you won't really notice it much.

Besides in 2021 LL have improved their servers quite a lot, I used to have 2 to 4ms spare time in my (30k) region until they did, and after that it's 10-11ms spare time. Ocasionally after restarts my region ends up on the same sim-host with some busy regions (likely events, afk sex, or breedables infected regions) and I see lower spare time numbers, but a manual restart or two so it would change the sim-host is enough to fix this.

• Like 3

It's pretty difficult these days to hurt server-side performance by packing more objects on the region. If it adds a lot of scripts, maybe, or if they're physical for some reason (?), then maybe. Usually the impact of added land impact is purely viewer-side (object download, texture loading, rendering) so there'd be no advantage to increased server performance just to handle 50% more objects.

Might be a good idea if everybody who visited the region upgraded their graphics card, though, to handle all those extra objects. (Joking, kind of, but adding more land impact to a region  will make it feel more like Mainland, where everybody complains about how slow their viewer is handling all the stuff on adjacent regions.) 

Generally, avatars are a region's main performance bottleneck (both server-side and viewer-side, actually, but at least they do affect server-side performance). That's why "event" regions are so expensive.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 150 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.