Anyone else missing parts of their build?

Lewis Nerd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In the last 24 hours random chunks of my build have just vanished.  I don't believe my account has been compromised (nobody else has access rights to build/delete stuff) but surely things can't just ... disappear?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Try relogging or even TPing round a few different regions and then back again. They probably are still there, but your viewer can't see them for some reason. I've noticed a few bits and pieces missing at some of my locations, but I can TP an alt in and they will be there in his viewer, and if I TP about and try again later, they are still there.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, K9Mark said:

Try relogging or even TPing round a few different regions and then back again. They probably are still there, but your viewer can't see them for some reason. I've noticed a few bits and pieces missing at some of my locations, but I can TP an alt in and they will be there in his viewer, and if I TP about and try again later, they are still there.

I've relogged several times.  I've tp'd to various regions, and used several alts - same problem.  The "about land" tab shows about 200 prims "missing"; I had about 400 to go and now there's about 600 free.  Large chunks of my railway are missing, and normally the train follows the track but the track parts have simply disappeared so the trains wander off aimlessly until they pick up another piece and go the wrong way, so I've had to disable them in case they disappear never to be seen again.

I have submitted a support ticket for this as it is clearly something very wierd going on.  The random nature of the disappeared parts I think I'm fairly sure weren't anything I might have done accidently.

1 hour ago, Lewis Nerd said:

I've relogged several times.  I've tp'd to various regions, and used several alts - same problem.  The "about land" tab shows about 200 prims "missing"; I had about 400 to go and now there's about 600 free.  Large chunks of my railway are missing, and normally the train follows the track but the track parts have simply disappeared so the trains wander off aimlessly until they pick up another piece and go the wrong way, so I've had to disable them in case they disappear never to be seen again.

I have submitted a support ticket for this as it is clearly something very wierd going on.  The random nature of the disappeared parts I think I'm fairly sure weren't anything I might have done accidently.

If you have checked everything mentioned here AND tried an alternate viewer -- then the answer is "yes" they can just disappear.  :D

I had a build rezzed on my half sim plot last May so that the folks at SL20B could see my vintage build to be put on a large plot as part of the look back.  The build was OKed but when I went to pick it up the main part of the build was gone   and none of the build (all by ME) was in my inventory.  So I wrote and explained the issue and opted out of course. 

The database is extremely fickle at least with my account with its inventory laid out in subfolders according to dev advice and is only 72K after 16 years and lots of building and backups.   

I will say that it is VERY RARE for things to disappear after being rezzed. It is however not a foolproof solution. This is of course anecdotal evidence and just my experience.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, strange things happen every now and then.
A few weeks ago I was in a Belli boathouse sim, where all windows were gone. Last week I landed in a sim where the water was gone.  Relog fixed it.

But sometimes things do mysteriously disappear with a glitch. (Don't forget to look in the Lost And Found Folder every now and then)
2 recommendations: 
A) When one builds: back up, back up and back up while building.
B) Avoid no copy items as the plague or calculate the risk of loosing something every now and then.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

The first place to check is the Lost & Found folder and when the items aren't there, the most hopeful is to use Build / Pathfinding / Region Objects to see if they may have gone astray while you were building and are hanging out on somebody else's no-Auto-Return land (now that they're not in the parcel's land impact anymore). If there are adjacent regions, may want to check those, too. (Don't settle for a certain viewer's "Area Search" which is convenient for filtering out stuff but not complete at finding everything.)

Objects have three very dangerous properties, two of which can be set and seen in the Build Tool. First, with "Anyone:  Move" somebody else can just drag the object off where you wouldn't think to look for it. (If you ever do find an object somewhere weird, make sure that box isn't checked.)  And Second, "Share" which lets anybody else in the group do weird stuff with the object (in some circumstances even Take it from the region without a trace, as I recall).

I said three properties, and the other is set by script. It's the use of llSetStatus values intended only for very specific purposes, specifically STATUS_DIE_AT_EDGE, STATUS_RETURN_AT_EDGE, and STATUS_DIE_AT_NO_ENTRY. These are rarely used, can only be read by script (with llGetStatus) and have mysterious and insidious inheritance properties in linksets. They're not likely to happen by accident, but I wanted to include them because the "_DIE_" options can poof stuff without returning it to your Lost & Found. (I think "Share" can sometimes have that result, too.)

Otherwise… I dunno, I used to build a lot and stuff just never really disappeared for me except on rolling restart days (or other region restarts) when the region's saved state wasn't current at restart, so came back "forgetting" stuff I'd placed since state was saved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I guess I'll chalk it down to 'potentially user error' somehow, I can understand something disappearing but as many of the pieces were not linked and scattered over potentially 100 metres across my parcel it'll be a mystery.

Guess I'll be replacing those bits now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.