Stylized mesh in Second Life?

Kelley Amiot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 158 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been using Second Life for about 16 years now but I have rarely seen hand painted, stylized mesh in Second Life - let alone an entire sim in this style.

When I think of a stylized sim I think of games such as Dishonored.

Clearly it is possible because mesh is mesh and textures are textures.

One thing that comes to mind is the lighting in Second Life. When one is creating such things for a games engine then one can control the lighting and environment ambience to compliment the style. However in Second Life such things are so easily changed. One can literally change the environment lighting with a hotkey and make the entire thing look bland and flat.

Is such an endeavour pointless to embark upon?

I have a sim and, originally I was going for realism but I'm also an artist and I hand paint my own textures. I have since started to consider creating my sim in a stylized aesthetic but I'm not sure how well such an aesthetic would hold up on this engine.

What are your thoughts?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Kelley Amiot said:

I've been using Second Life for about 16 years now but I have rarely seen hand painted, stylized mesh in Second Life - let alone an entire sim in this style.

When I think of a stylized sim I think of games such as Dishonored.

Clearly it is possible because mesh is mesh and textures are textures.

One thing that comes to mind is the lighting in Second Life. When one is creating such things for a games engine then one can control the lighting and environment ambience to compliment the style. However in Second Life such things are so easily changed. One can literally change the environment lighting with a hotkey and make the entire thing look bland and flat.

Is such an endeavour pointless to embark upon?

I have a sim and, originally I was going for realism but I'm also an artist and I hand paint my own textures. I have since started to consider creating my sim in a stylized aesthetic but I'm not sure how well such an aesthetic would hold up on this engine.

What are your thoughts?

I would LOVE to visit a sim like these. Please do it and post the lm here 😍

7 hours ago, Kelley Amiot said:

What are your thoughts?

My little poem about an artist we discussed @ The Writer's Table in SL yesterday comes to mind. We learn about various artists in this class and then write a poem about them/their art. Here was mine, and I think it applies to you and all artists:

we can all learn from Sam Barsky how to be at home in this world
love what you do
reflect the beauty you see
a true artist

• 2 weeks later...

Well you can set up an experience on your parcel which will switch visitors to the EEP of your choice (provided they accept the experience invite) and perhaps you can put a sign saying "best viewed with advanced lighting and shared lighting". Several sims where environment is important route visitors to a landing point in a skybox and include an "automatic" teleporter to the main content that can only be accessed by accepting the experience.

I'm gonna bet that if you search on places for "manga" you'll likely find a few stylized sims.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 158 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.