Two questions about mainland parcel related oddities.

CossetteAlarie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 240 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There seems to be some weirdness with math regarding owned parcels. I've been watching this for a few months and the number never add up right. It's like 20+20+25+25=120. (Example only). Here's an example with simple numbers just to explain what I've noticed in my account. (Maybe it's just me?)

(example only)
tier level: 1000
owned parcel sqm: 950

let's say i sell 400 sqm and with real math the number should go to 550. InSL math it's 775. If I try to buy a 400 to replace the one i sold the message says i need agree to pay the next higher tier. There's a note on the account that says "if the numbers aren't right don't worry just file a ticket if you are overcharged." or something like that. is that legit?

So the "missing 200" never comes out, even with patiently waiting - but let's say i buy 150, (which doesn't take me over to the tier) then it goes to like 875 for example. (Which also doesn't add up.) Actually i can buy another 50 and it goes to like 905. It does not seem to matter if you wait it out to see if it catches up, it magically adjust itself to the correct total. But, I noticed if I split a parcel it recalculates "in the right direction", but not all the way. Total is still off.

Like now my total parcels owned shows as 18,015 but if i add it up with an RL calculator (or copy and paste into an RL spreadsheet) the actual sqm of parcels in my account total is 11,984. From my experience there is no waiting it out, i just have to visit a parcel and split it to get the numbers "closer" to correct. But I couldn't buy like a 4096 right now even though it's in my tier. (well, without agreeing to go the next higher tier fees). It seems to me kind of like they are possibly enticing people to increase the tier level unnecessarily. Like if a user doesn't go add up the numbers and notice it's way off. Weird match. Or it's just a crazy mistake I guess. (they wouldn't be good at a banking job lol).

The other question is: I sold a parcel this morning and have not yet been paid. Is there some scam I haven't heard of going on? Usually the Lindens comes right away. Meanwhile, the buyer has already flipped the parcel to somebody else, it seems. I can be patient but I have not seen this kind of delay before. They buyer was definitely not a bot. I read in one thread somebody claimed a "land bot" stole 1/4 sim from them. Not sure how that is possible. Anyway, Is this a ticket kind of thing or just typical and I should just cool my boots and wait it out? That's fine but just checking! :)

4 hours ago, CossetteAlarie said:

There seems to be some weirdness with math regarding owned parcels. I've been watching this for a few months and the number never add up right. It's like 20+20+25+25=120. (Example only). Here's an example with simple numbers just to explain what I've noticed in my account. (Maybe it's just me?)

(example only)
tier level: 1000
owned parcel sqm: 950

let's say i sell 400 sqm and with real math the number should go to 550. InSL math it's 775. If I try to buy a 400 to replace the one i sold the message says i need agree to pay the next higher tier. There's a note on the account that says "if the numbers aren't right don't worry just file a ticket if you are overcharged." or something like that. is that legit?

So the "missing 200" never comes out, even with patiently waiting - but let's say i buy 150, (which doesn't take me over to the tier) then it goes to like 875 for example. (Which also doesn't add up.) Actually i can buy another 50 and it goes to like 905. It does not seem to matter if you wait it out to see if it catches up, it magically adjust itself to the correct total. But, I noticed if I split a parcel it recalculates "in the right direction", but not all the way. Total is still off.

Like now my total parcels owned shows as 18,015 but if i add it up with an RL calculator (or copy and paste into an RL spreadsheet) the actual sqm of parcels in my account total is 11,984. From my experience there is no waiting it out, i just have to visit a parcel and split it to get the numbers "closer" to correct. But I couldn't buy like a 4096 right now even though it's in my tier. (well, without agreeing to go the next higher tier fees). It seems to me kind of like they are possibly enticing people to increase the tier level unnecessarily. Like if a user doesn't go add up the numbers and notice it's way off. Weird match. Or it's just a crazy mistake I guess. (they wouldn't be good at a banking job lol).

The other question is: I sold a parcel this morning and have not yet been paid. Is there some scam I haven't heard of going on? Usually the Lindens comes right away. Meanwhile, the buyer has already flipped the parcel to somebody else, it seems. I can be patient but I have not seen this kind of delay before. They buyer was definitely not a bot. I read in one thread somebody claimed a "land bot" stole 1/4 sim from them. Not sure how that is possible. Anyway, Is this a ticket kind of thing or just typical and I should just cool my boots and wait it out? That's fine but just checking! :)

one question .. are you working with set and deeded groupland?

received the $L about 16 hours after the transaction. It's fine - I just don't recall that kind of delay in the past but whatever. It settled. All is good inSL. The other issue with the weird accounting math I don't know what to do about yet. But I did notice the number looks correct on the group info panel in the viewer.. And I have seen a "buy for group" option on a parcel that i have not yet tried. So maybe that's the way to purchase new parcels to 'replace' sold ones. I will test it and see what happens!

buyforgroup.png

Well, if you *can* use "buy for group" it means the group retained enough spare donated tier to cover the parcel. The group in the screenshot is retaining a spare 7833 m², for example. Unless you withdraw that extra contribution, you won't be able to buy much land as an individual; in the screenshot example you only have 18432 - 18015 = 417 m² left to use in purchases as an individual.

Sales of group land always pay out to group members (the ones with the correct Ability) overnight. Sales of individually owned land are a direct transaction so those L$s appear immediately. While that payout is pending, the group's "Land/Assets" tab should show a Group L$ balance (at least that's what it's for; I assume it works although I'm not sure I ever watched it in action).

(That "correct Ability" is "Pay group liabilities and receive group dividends" which at least the Owner role has, and by default the Everyone role doesn't.)

• Like 4

On 10/2/2023 at 5:33 PM, CossetteAlarie said:

There seems to be some weirdness with math regarding owned parcels.

Considering only the "max allowed" math, I have always used a spreadsheet to keep track of this and in 14 years, it has always matched the Linden accounting. I (and my alts) contribute all their tier (included and purchased) to a single land group.

The simple equation is

sum(contributed tier) * 1.1 = max allowed

I typically  use the "buy for group" option when purchasing.

thank you! yeah, I learned that 'buy for group' is right on the money. However, I cannot find documentation about buying abandoned land "for a group", I imagine that would have to be a personal purchase deeded back to the group. But maybe it is something that can requested in the ticket?

But the total on the website for the account is incorrectly stated in my opinion. But it's not important so much now that I see the correct numbers on the group profiles. FWIW An accounting record should not show something like 5+5+5=20 (just as a quick simple example) AFAIK. 

26 minutes ago, Khadijah Starchild said:

However, I cannot find documentation about buying abandoned land "for a group", I imagine that would have to be a personal purchase deeded back to the group.

Actually, it's easier than it sounds: if land is set for sale to you (as an individual) you can still choose to buy it for a group. That part just works. (Do be sure you have the right group active first, though. Moving land around between groups isn't always avoidable but it is always a pain.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Actually, it's easier than it sounds: if land is set for sale to you (as an individual) you can still choose to buy it for a group. That part just works. (Do be sure you have the right group active first, though. Moving land around between groups isn't always avoidable but it is always a pain.)

make sure you use "Buy for Group" in the About Land window. R-click - "Buy this Land" will make it a personal purchase that you then have to deed to the group

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 240 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.