Looking for a stable phoenix

Renoire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4840 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I recently posted up about phoenix crashing.

I still have the latest version (1.5.2.1102) and it still occasionally just crashes for seemingly no reason.

Someone on SL advised that it was unstable and that some setting needs turning down but i don't know what.

They said to try an older version of the viewer. Verion 1.5.2.908 is apparently the one to go for.

Does anybody know how I can obtain this version or what setting to change on my current one please?

My Pc specs (saves people tellin me to upgrade) are:-

Amd x4

4Gb ram

Geforce GTS 450 1Gb (built in ddr5).

you could try getting an older version from the group

the group name is" phoenix/firestorm viewer support" if you are not in there already..

i have all their versions but i don't think i can upload them here or i would give you the version you are looking for...

you may be able to get it from their blog if the links are still live on there..here is the link to their site..

http://www.phoenixviewer.com/

just scroll down until you see the version you are after =)

ETA:

actually it shows a link on the second page of blog posts.. and the links look live..here is the link for the second blog page..the version you are asking for has links on the bottom of this page..

http://phoenixviewer.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-04-21T09:04:36-08:00&max-results=5

1102 is perfectly stable, its not the viewer. I have been using it since it came out. Has to be something with your computer it doesn't like. I wouldn't suggest 908, there were some known issues with that version.  Why not switch to the new firestorm that got released? You are going to have to switch to a v2 based viewer sooner or later anyway.

Just out of curiousity have you talked to anyone in the phoenix team about this issue yet? Its very possible you have something conflicting with the program, or you have another viewer installed, or remnants of an older viewer still hanging around causing issues.

It is also possible the viewer you downloaded may have got corrupted during down load or something. You could try completely removing all traces of any sl viewer on your computer, re download phoenix and start fresh and see what happens.

Thanks for the help I'll look into firestorm, prefer to wait for the alpha but the reviews seem favorable.

I haven't installed on top of any other previous version's, this is my first phoenix viewer.

Regarding it being possibly my system at fault, is unlikely, I run other graphics/bandwidth sucking games/rpg's that use a lot more of my card than SL does with zero problems so I don't think it could be that.

As it's not happening a lot, only very now and then, it could be just the usual SL probs of connection glitches making the viewer crash. I can live with it for now, it's just a pain when it happens.

Renoire wrote:

Thanks for the help I'll look into firestorm, prefer to wait for the alpha but the reviews seem favorable.

I haven't installed on top of any other previous version's, this is my first phoenix viewer.

Regarding it being possibly my system at fault, is unlikely, I run other graphics/bandwidth sucking games/rpg's that use a lot more of my card than SL does with zero problems so I don't think it could be that.

As it's not happening a lot, only very now and then, it could be just the usual SL probs of connection glitches making the viewer crash. I can live with it for now, it's just a pain when it happens.

The preview viewers were the alpha testing, it is now on public beta testing, which means that has been tested enough to be safely released for public use. The feedback so far indicates that most people find it more stable and faster than Phoenix, so it is definately worth giving it a try if you are having problems with Phoenix.

You said you didn't install on top of any other viewer because this is your first phoenix viewer. What about other viewers? if it is sharing a folder with another viewer this is often one of the symptoms. If you had another viewer on your computer you need to remove all of it. You have to remove all the folders from your Apps folder both in local and roaming. If you run two different viewers you have to make sure they don't share folders. Or if you uninstall one viewer and install another. LIke you switched from the original viewer to a thrid party viewer. It is important that all traces of the first viewer are removed before installing the new one.

I didn't say it was your systems "fault", I said it might be something with your system that it doesn't like. Just because other programs run fine doesn't mean sl will. Its a different program. I myself don't know how to program or code, but I have talked to other programmers that have looked at the SL viewers code and they said it looks it was written by a 3 grader lol.

What I mean is there might be some other program conflicting with the viewer, or a certain driver it doesn't like and its causing it to suddenly close down. If it where connection issues it would not just shut down to the desk top like that. It would hang and log you out but the program would still be running. Something is ending the program suddenly.

Its the only way to explain  how thousands can use it with no troubles and a handful have crashing issues. Either the program didn't install properly or something on your end is conflicting with it. Most likely software based not hardware so it doesn't matter how great your system is. Some service or program could be turning on in the background while you are playing sl and it causes it to suddenly crash.

If all else fails use the original linden viewer and see what happens.

If you look at the viewer directory list:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

They list the major SL viewers in order of least crashes

Phoenix 1102 is always one of the most stable viewers, and over the last few months it's frequently been above LL's recent viewers. If it's crashing for you, chances are that it's something about your configuration, not the viewer itself.

i would expect firestorm to move up on the lsit when it's had some time on that list..it's only been out for about a week or so.

.i'm really suprised that phoenix is so high up on that list with as many crash problems it's had..

unless what the list is showing is best of each version..

they all seem to be separrated by versions..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4840 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.