Totally mystified and at a loss

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Now it's been checked on 2 pieces of suitable land and there was no problem on either. So the problem is either, something on me, something in the parcel, or the sim itself.

Since it doesn't make any difference to me, I won't ask for a sim restart. I'll leave it as it is, but I'll probably search for the cause over time.

I'm narrowing things down. I now feel sure that the problem is one of my security objects here. I've tested with the script at different distances and I've isolated the general area where whatever is doing the ejecting is situated. For instance, if I get far enough away from where I have my security devices (not many meters, perhaps 20) the avatar doesn't get ejected, even though I'm on the same parcel. The test script is attached to the center of my HUD, so I can check from anywhere. I'm certain that the problem is in the area where my objects are.

I found one of my unfinished security objects inside a wall but setting its scripts to not running didn't change anything. Even so, I'm sure that one of the objects is causing it but I've no idea how - yet :)

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I'm narrowing things down. I now feel sure that the problem is one of my security objects here. I've tested with the script at different distances and I've isolated the general area where whatever is doing the ejecting is situated. For instance, if I get far enough away from where I have my security devices (not many meters, perhaps 20) the avatar doesn't get ejected, even though I'm on the same parcel. The test script is attached to the center of my HUD, so I can check from anywhere. I'm certain that the problem is in the area where my objects are.

I found one of my unfinished security objects inside a wall but setting its scripts to not running didn't change anything. Even so, I'm sure that one of the objects is causing it but I've no idea how - yet :)

Once you find it, if the security object is something you purchased, will you be giving it a 5-Star Review?

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 1

On 7/31/2023 at 5:07 PM, Phil Deakins said:

if(llListFindList(lstWhite, [(string)agent])==-1){  // not in the white list
                            warn_and_ban(agent);

I think this is the first place I'd start to look for the error.   On the face of it, it's difficult to see how this could be the problem area, but LSL doesn't always see things in the same way I do, and Occam's Razor suggests that the reason the script is behaving as described is that, for some reason, it can't find agent in lstWhite.

Anyway, I would start my debugging by having it chat out something like

"Index of "+(string)agent+" in "+llList2CSV(lstWhite)+" is "+(string)llListFindList(lWhite),[(string)agent]));

just to be sure that lstWhite contains what you think it does.

11 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

I think this is the first place I'd start to look for the error.   On the face of it, it's difficult to see how this could be the problem area, but LSL doesn't always see things in the same way I do, and Occam's Razor suggests that the reason the script is behaving as described is that, for some reason, it can't find agent in lstWhite.

Anyway, I would start my debugging by having it chat out something like

"Index of "+(string)agent+" in "+llList2CSV(lstWhite)+" is "+(string)llListFindList(lWhite),[(string)agent]));

just to be sure that lstWhite contains what you think it does.

Thank you for the suggestion, Innula, but the script isn't the problem. Even this script does it if the uuid is for an avatar that is on the land.

{
    touch_start(integer num){
        llSay(0, "c804f382-1288-4e07-b3f3-1d8aab045dfc");   // Lettuce
    }
}

I've done some testing and discovered that there's an object here that picks up the llSay() and ejects avatars with the uuids. I've reduced the area where the object must be to the area where all my security objects, finished and unfinished, are. Then I went to bed. Now I'll find which pesky object is doing it. I already discovered one inside a wall, but that's not the culprit. I'll have it sorted shortly.

• Thanks 1

Cracked it :D

The culprit was a relay object that is automatically rezzed when the security device is rezzed, if the owner of the security device is not the landowner. The relay is then the object that removes avatars, so that ownership of the device itself doesn't need to be transfered.

When the relay is rezzed by the device, it is given a channel to listen on. If it is rezzed but not by the device, then the channel defaults to 0. This particular relay was somehow an orphan without a supplied channel, so it was listening on channel 0.

I'd set all the scripts in all the rezzed objects to not running, but I somehow managed to miss this relay.

So problem solved :D

The silver lining:
During the course of this thread, I made a new friend, and a participant in the thread bought one of my security devices from my inworld store :D

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Sorry, you did not spell it out: was the culprit relay object something you yourself had created? I read your post 3 times and I didn't see that.

Yes. I don't buy things in SL. I've been making security devices for years. Three varieties are on sale, and there are others that I started but didn't finish. I'm currently creating an improved version of one of them. Maybe it'll get finished :)

There are all sorts of them on my walls, all created by me, and it was a relay associated with one of them that was causing the problem.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Phil Deakins said:

Yes. I don't buy things in SL. I've been making security devices for years. Three varieties are on sale, and there are others that I started but didn't finish. I'm currently creating an improved version of one of them. Maybe it'll get finished :)

There are all sorts of them on my walls, all created by me, and it was a relay associated with one of them that was causing the problem.

Then, I find it amusing that it took so long to figure out it was one of your own scripts! 

I suppose it is lol. But I'd never written anything that should have caused it, and I'd set the scripts in all the objects to be not running. Or I thought I had. It turned out that I'd missed the very object that was causing it. Of all the objects to miss, it had to be that one lol.

Just now, Fionalein said:

It always is that one.

Yep lol.

I managed to do something else today too. While testing the new device I inadvertantly managed to eject someone who was in my store below. I spotted it when I opened the land's ban list to remove the the alt that I'd ejected, and he was in the list. I IMed him, and he's been back, so it's ok now :)

I'm very good at doing stuff like that. I now have an alt in the store so I can see if anyone is there before each test.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As this thread is finishing, I want to thank @Qie Niangao publically for not only allowing me to use a piece of his land to test the problem on, but he also set it for sale to me for 0L, so that it would replicate the conditions I'd had at my place, and I'd be testing on land that I owned. Absolutely brilliant! I sold it back to him for 0L of course.

Thank you Qie. What a fantastic thing to do! :)

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.