Problems after testing DEMO Skin

Freyja Vanlager

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 326 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I need your help with this dramatic matter right now. This afternoon I've been trying to do some test for new skins. My problem comes when I try to take off the demo skin and it is impossible. I mean, when I take off the skin it doesnt works. It doesnt appear in "wearing" but the skin and the demo label are on my body. I even delete all the folders of the manufacturer but it is still impossible. Please, can anybody give me some advice on how to solve it?

Thanks in advance

It may have been an applier skin. You may be able to remove it by going into the layers tab of your body HUD.

Edited to add: And if it's on your lowest layer ("skin" rather than "tattoo"), you'll probably need to replace it with something else instead of just removing it.

Edited by BookishMelinoe
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, BookishMelinoe said:

It may have been an applier skin. You may be able to remove it by going into the layers tab of your body HUD.

Edited to add: And if it's on your lowest layer ("skin" rather than "tattoo"), you'll probably need to replace it with something else instead of just removing it.

I think the problem is that my OLD skin was not the same system than the demo one. I'm not so proficient on the avatar building, but I think you are right. My problem is that I cant just remove the demo layer but to substitute with another one. Thanks a lot.

• Like 1

So you know, you'll be unable to delete the folder of an item you are currently wearing. I've tried dozens of times by accident with demo products forgetting I actually have something like an earring, or anything in fact, still worn. It's a good feature to have for your real stuff, and annoying sometimes when demoing things.

One future suggestion when you do get this solved ... get to a private spot, get your avatar naked wearing nothing but the BoM skin for body and face, and hair, and save that as an Outfit and call it "Base Naked" or whatever. Then any time this happens, you simply right click on that outfit and choose "Replace current outfit" and voila ... back to base naked avatar.

You can even go so far as to not have hair on, and simply right click and add/remove hair styles quickly. My base avatar is bald, and I have my two favourite hairs in my Favorites folder (Firestorm) and simply Add the one I want (usually down and long, but I have this amazing updo as well).

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
spelling, as usual
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Freyja Vanlager said:

Hi, I need your help with this dramatic matter right now. This afternoon I've been trying to do some test for new skins. My problem comes when I try to take off the demo skin and it is impossible. I mean, when I take off the skin it doesnt works. It doesnt appear in "wearing" but the skin and the demo label are on my body. I even delete all the folders of the manufacturer but it is still impossible. Please, can anybody give me some advice on how to solve it?

Thanks in advance

The skin would appear in wearing if your were actually wearing a skin and not an applier.  Question...which mesh body are you using?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

So you know, you'll be unable to delete the folder of an item you are currently wearing. I've tried dozens of times by accident with demo products forgetting I actually have something like an earring, or anything in fact, still worn. It's a good feature to have for your real stuff, and annoying sometimes when demoing things.

One future suggestion when you do get this solved ... get to a private spot, get your avatar naked wearing nothing but the BoM skin for body and face, and hair, and save that as an Outfit and call it "Base Naked" or whatever. Then any time this happens, you simply right click on that outfit and choose "Replace current outfit" and voila ... back to base naked avatar.

You can even go so far as to not have hair on, and simply right click and add/remove hair styles quickly. My base avatar is bald, and I have my two favourite hairs in my Favorites folder (Firestorm) and simply Add the one I want (usually down and long, but I have this amazing updo as well).

Of course I have an outfit called "base nude". I learnt it making mistakes 😉 The problem is that now, with ALL my outfits including the "base nude" is the new demo skin. No matter the saved outfit I choose, the skin is always the DEMO one. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The skin would appear in wearing if your were actually wearing a skin and not an applier.  Question...which mesh body are you using?

Yes, I should tell which is the body I use. Thanks. It's Maitreya Lara.

I have to tell that I'm able now to eliminate the DEMO skin by choosing a color from the Maitreya HUD. Ok, its better to have a standard skin than a DEMO one, but I'm still unable to use my previous one.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Freyja Vanlager said:

I have to tell that I'm able now to eliminate the DEMO skin by choosing a color from the Maitreya HUD. Ok, its better to have a standard skin than a DEMO one, but I'm still unable to use my previous one.

If you were able to remove it using a skin from the Maitreya HUD than you had used an applier and APPLIED a skin to the mesh.  This is different than WEARING a skin.  The Maitreya body has the option of using appliers or BOM (think old system skins).  BOM skins appear in inventory as an asset.  Either a tattoo layer or the traditional body skin.  Applier skins show as an object that you add and usually touch to APPLY the skin to the body.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freyja Vanlager said:

Can you take a screenshot of your  "Now Wearing" window and post it in the thread? That would help things go much smoother..

If you are in the SL viewer, Go to the top menu and choose avatar and then scroll down to Now Wearing.. It should be the first option in that menu.

If you are on firestorm it's the same  way there... Go to avatar then scroll down to Now Wearing..

Then take a screen shot, which will show the base skin at the very bottom of the list..Then will also show everything else you are wearing all the way to the top of the list..

This way we can have a much clearer picture of what's going on visually..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

Well, It seems like everything has been solved. Thanks to everyone of you I have been able to test and learn more about my avatar, specially that "old" things does not work very well with new ones 😉 But learning is at the end an important part of what we do here.

My old skin was not working really. I thought it was working because it was in my "wearing" suit of things but it was no more than a silly object with this body and the skin I was using really was one of the "colours" of the Maitreya HUD.

I dont know if this topic can be closed, but from my side I have no more to comment. Once again, thanks a lot for you support.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freyja Vanlager said:

Well, It seems like everything has been solved. Thanks to everyone of you I have been able to test and learn more about my avatar, specially that "old" things does not work very well with new ones 😉 But learning is at the end an important part of what we do here.

My old skin was not working really. I thought it was working because it was in my "wearing" suit of things but it was no more than a silly object with this body and the skin I was using really was one of the "colours" of the Maitreya HUD.

I dont know if this topic can be closed, but from my side I have no more to comment. Once again, thanks a lot for you support.

Your old skin (you always have to wear some sort of skin) would actually work on Maitreya if you turned BOM on for the body but that's a whole other can of worms.   

Glad you got it sorted out.

Since it's been less than 24 hours since you started the thread, you can EDIT the title to include SOLVED.  

• Like 1

I'm just reminded of what an absolute mess appliers were and how much trouble they caused.
Astonishingly a lot of applier layers couldn't even be cleared using supplied HUD's back in those days, I remember having to hunt down a makeup layer clearing HUD for a head I once owned.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 326 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.