Why does my 2l look like this?

Ron Onyett

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a new and very powerful computer however, when ever I would turn on my computer Second Life would look like this:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z415/elmo033057/Untitled-2.jpg

recently I had a Windows update and now I can't even change it from this matter what I do. I have a very expensive new computer and it has the latest graphics card and all of the bells and whistles. I am running on a 6 GB modem and I even tried plugging my computer directly into the bottom without a wireless or a router and it still did not work.

I used to be able to restart the computer and the router and modem and it would work fine for a while but since the update of Windows nothing is working.Hellllp!!!

My first guess is something you might be wearing, try detaching you AO, rebake your avatar, visit a Region named Smith and see if your Avatar shows (if not, search inventory for Worn items and start removing items.

Check your Graphics Settings in Preferences, a Draw distance of around 120 is a workable draw, I have many setting on mid or low even though I can run on high.

A link to a previous question with quality answers.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Your-Avatar/My-avatar-is-SMOKE/m-p/883577#M5131

Here's my guess.  You said you got a Windows Update and then this problem occurred.  The very first thing to look at is that Windows Update.......it was the event that appears to have purpetuated this problem.  WIndows has a habit of presenting updates in two catagories......."Important" and "Optional".  You, of course should always consider accepting all the "Important" updates.  Those "Optional" are a different story.  If Windows, for whatever reason, sees an update for your computer's hardware is available it will present it as an option for you to update.......that encludes graphics card drivers.  Here's the big issue there.............the driver Windows thinks you need is very often not current (that driver Windows has in it's driver data base can be 6 months or older...it's not current at all).  You can go and check the recent updates at the Windows Update site.  I bet you'll find it was a driver for your video card that was one of those updates you accepted for that last update.

Go to your video card manufacturer's driver website and search for the most recent driver for your card.  Download it to your hard drive (save.........don't run).  Close your web browser and uninstall the present driver you are using from your computer.  You'll have to restart for the uninstall to complete.....do it.  On the restart Windows will advise you that it found new hardware (that's your video card without a driver)........don't let Windows search for or install anything.  Close the dialog.  Then go to the downloaded driver you just downloaded from your video card's website and install it.  You'll have to restart again for the installation to complete.  This time when your restart completes you will using your new driver.  Try SL again.

thank you so much for the great responses that all of you nice folks have given me.

First of all, I've been having this problem off on for the last month or so.  I finally gave up on using Second Life because I have this problem all the time. However, I turned off the power couple weeks ago to work on a project at the house and when I turn on the power everything restarted and I was able to get on to Second Life for the first time in quite some time.

however, about a week or so ago when Windows wanted to do an update and was going to automatically loaded into my computer anyway and it did a restart and when it did that Second Life viewer itself will not work anymore. Second Life viewer always says that it has crashed and even if I reloaded it doesn't work.  So, that has been a new development. 

but off and on I have always had this problem with these textures not coming on at all and I thought maybe it was a bottom problem but then I plugged the Internet directly into the computer from the bottom by wire rather than wireless and it still is producing the same results. So, I am not exactly sure what this is all about, it is frustrating because this is a computer that my son told me he is a professional in the Air Force and he works with computers all the time. He wanted to make sure I had the latest and greatest computer so I can do all the school graphic stuff and now Second Life won't work.

Well, I really don't understand why that is so.tonight I rebate my avatar but as per some of the instructions of some of the people on here they said to take off all of the stuff I have on, but the viewer (Phoenix viewer is the only one that works now) moves so slow and at the same time it will not let me remove everything that is on my character. I have been using a character skin that I bought but it is not coming off.

Anyway, thank you all so much for the help you have been very nice to me.

Elmo

The items shown in your screenshot are things that can't be removed from your avatar. Shapes, hair bases and skins can't be removed. They can only be replaced by other similar items. You can change them a different item, but you always have to be wearing at a minimum a shape and a skin of some sort. Otherwise you'd be... well invisible. :smileyhappy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.