Help! I Want to Make an Avatar of a Prebuscent or Early Adolescent Boy!

Scylla Rhiadra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 354 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Thanks everyone! With your help I got the first step done, I think: Viola. I've posted a pic below.

I used Belleza Jake, Lelutka Zo, and Avarasso Eloy for the look. I think he might look about 16 or 17?

The next step, which involves cross-dressing (for Olivia) is going to be harder, and I'm going to be coming back here again to look at the advice especially from Arwyn and Pheeby.

Thanks again!

Oooo that came out so good. You look fantastic! What a fun idea for a series, too!

I once considered making a series of Shakespearian characters for myself, as well. Still might someday, but woo, I dunno if I'm ready for the shopping involved in THAT. Ophelia was to be my first. I'd love an Othello, too. Unless...

A modern-day or even futuristic reimagining of them...now THAT I could do. A similar idea to John Leguizamo's Tybalt or Harold Perrineau's Mercutio. Oh dang...off to plan...

RecklessUnitedHorsefly-size_restricted.g

• Like 2

You are already past this stage, but I would have recommended checking out Rebirth.  They have mesh bodies & heads. And style cards to help you make a particular look (skin to buy/hair).  I've never tried being anything other than a woman or an old woman using Rebirth (I think I posted 'old woman' in one of the photo threads), but I 'know' you can be a kid, teen, adult, and/or elderly with Rebirth. Male/female.  

Here's a boy who could probably have played Juliet - https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Rebirth-RoX-Avatar-Stylecard-Rogue-Mathias/24900873 (that's a Rebirth Stylecard, but it also directs you to use Rebirth body & Rebirth head. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PJBear Bitey said:

You are already past this stage, but I would have recommended checking out Rebirth.  They have mesh bodies & heads. And style cards to help you make a particular look (skin to buy/hair).  I've never tried being anything other than a woman or an old woman using Rebirth (I think I posted 'old woman' in one of the photo threads), but I 'know' you can be a kid, teen, adult, and/or elderly with Rebirth. Male/female.  

Here's a boy who could probably have played Juliet - https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Rebirth-RoX-Avatar-Stylecard-Rogue-Mathias/24900873 (that's a Rebirth Stylecard, but it also directs you to use Rebirth body & Rebirth head. 

I'm also fond of the Rebirth. I use it for a roughly 9-year-old girl avi. Clothes are limited, but you can wear anything BOM (tights anyone?), and I like the look of it better than Tweeneedoo, which always kind of looked like a scaled-up toddler to me no matter what I did to the sliders.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PJBear Bitey said:

You are already past this stage, but I would have recommended checking out Rebirth. 

Well, I've only completed half of this little project: I still need an Olivia, who (in historical terms, on the Elizabethan stage) would have been a teen boy costumed as a young woman. It made sense using Jake for Viola, as she's wearing men's clothing, but I likely will use a dedicated female body for Olivia -- so Rebirth, which I've been meaning to demo anyway, is a good idea!

Thank you!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Oooo that came out so good. You look fantastic! What a fun idea for a series, too!

I once considered making a series of Shakespearian characters for myself, as well. Still might someday, but woo, I dunno if I'm ready for the shopping involved in THAT. Ophelia was to be my first. I'd love an Othello, too. Unless...

A modern-day or even futuristic reimagining of them...now THAT I could do. A similar idea to John Leguizamo's Tybalt or Harold Perrineau's Mercutio. Oh dang...off to plan...

RecklessUnitedHorsefly-size_restricted.g

Thank you, Ayashe!

Yeah, I have to do Ophelia myself -- I haven't yet figured out how I want to manage it. I'm doing some of these in conventional "costume" -- Lady Macbeth in early medieval garb, for instance --  a few in Tudor (this one anyway, but also Juliet), and others I'm just going with my ideas .So Beatrice from Much Ado is in Regency, and Katherine from The Taming of the Shrew is in 1950s vintage clothing.

I haven't really done Othello -- this series is Shakespeare's women -- but I have done one for Desdemona.

You WILL show off the results of your own projects here, right?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You WILL show off the results of your own projects here, right?

Absolutely! We might need a whole photo thread for it, perhaps. Recreations of characters from literature/film/TV/games/history/memes/cartoons, maybe? I do have William Lee and Joan from Cronenberg's Naked Lunch I could toss in there, and a modern-day Queen of Hearts. Don't ask. My brain goes places and drags me along for the ride.😏

Btw, good on you for sticking with their traditional costuming. That's so difficult to do in SL. Putting a twist on it allows for a lot more flexibility!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

good on you for sticking with their traditional costuming

Well, sometimes. Sorta.

Here's my actual take on Titania and Bottom, which I've already posted somewhere.

Methought-I-Was-Enamoured-(Titania)-(SM)-Blank.thumb.png.c16e8c9c70ed5c4ceedc8040948d7138.png

Go with the flow, says I!

Yeah, a thread on versions of literary/movie/game characters might be fun!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, sometimes. Sorta.

Here's my actual take on Titania and Bottom, which I've already posted somewhere.

Methought-I-Was-Enamoured-(Titania)-(SM)-Blank.thumb.png.c16e8c9c70ed5c4ceedc8040948d7138.png

Go with the flow, says I!

Yeah, a thread on versions of literary/movie/game characters might be fun!

Your photos are always so...photographic! Lol, not at all like screenshots I mean. I adore your style.

Start a character thread up when you've got Olivia made! I might start working on something in the meantime. Mayyyybe a much different interpretation of Lady Macbeth or Ophelia? *thinks*

I was supposed to be working on an android, buuuut, this sounds more fun!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, I've only completed half of this little project: I still need an Olivia, who (in historical terms, on the Elizabethan stage) would have been a teen boy costumed as a young woman. It made sense using Jake for Viola, as she's wearing men's clothing, but I likely will use a dedicated female body for Olivia -- so Rebirth, which I've been meaning to demo anyway, is a good idea!

Thank you!

Just make sure you can find what you need in clothes! Like I said, pickings are limited, but I kludge together what I can from (a) official stuff from the Rebirth store, (b) things from MP, (c) buying full perm mesh rigged for it and using it to make my own, and (d) some old standard size stuff. (Before the Toddleedoos really took off, there were standard sizes for kids too! Some of it fits with alpha layers. Demo, demo.) Shoes are usually unrigged unless they're from the Rebirth store.

But it's a handy body because it can be kid, teen, or adult, and if you get the full version it can switch gender too.

If you're totally covered up, clothes would be easier to come by if you just use Maitreya and shrink the boobs down a lot. Naked, they'll look weird below about 30, but under clothes they look fine. (And there's way more historical clothing for regular Maitreya than for Petite.)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BookishMelinoe said:

If you're totally covered up, clothes would be easier to come by if you just use Maitreya and shrink the boobs down a lot. Naked, they'll look weird below about 30, but under clothes they look fine. (And there's way more historical clothing for regular Maitreya than for Petite.)

Yeah. I suspect, at least initially, that this is the route I'll go, either using Maitreya or, if whatever I find is rigged for it, Petite or Legacy Perky. This one particular character, Olivia, will be pretty well covered up in Tudor era dress, so I'm not immediately all that concerned about distorting the boobs a bit.

On the other hand, although we actually do not know much detail about Elizabethan theatrical costume, I'd assume that there was a bit of "stuffing" going on when boys were playing women, so I probably don't need an entirely flat chest.

I want to try Reborn anyway, as it happens. And if I *do* use these teens in more modern contexts in the future -- possible, if not probable -- it would be a useful thing to have.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Spelling!
  • Like 1

I'm happy to help out any way I can, I've played a ten-year-old in SL for nearly 8 years now, so do feel free to ask me any time about any of it, I can help with sources for clothes and shoes, hairstyles that don't distort on short people too much, etc.

I currently reside in a Rebirth body myself, and even have the devkit so I can make clothes and stuff. Before that I had the Tweenster avi for a few years, and it was more than sufficient (I have the devkit for it, also). I really like the Rebirth avi because it scales well for making a grownup avi that's like my kid avi as an adult (and can wear the same clothes), and it isn't as straight-lines boyish as the Tweenster, but for costuming purposes on a budget, it's a bit spendy. I bought the body before the head was included, and had to buy the head separately, because they didn't just update the original. I've also spent tens of thousands on outfits for it, because fatpacks. I got my Rebirth avi when I was SL rich, and it's partly responsible for me not being as SL rich now, lol.

Worth every Linden penny, and no regerts, but unless you're looking to make it your everyday, like I have, the Tweenster body and Normie head are probably fine. Especially if you're not made of money.

Besides, it's what you do with it that makes it art, anyway.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

I'm happy to help out any way I can, I've played a ten-year-old in SL for nearly 8 years now, so do feel free to ask me any time about any of it, I can help with sources for clothes and shoes, hairstyles that don't distort on short people too much, etc.

I currently reside in a Rebirth body myself, and even have the devkit so I can make clothes and stuff. Before that I had the Tweenster avi for a few years, and it was more than sufficient (I have the devkit for it, also). I really like the Rebirth avi because it scales well for making a grownup avi that's like my kid avi as an adult (and can wear the same clothes), and it isn't as straight-lines boyish as the Tweenster, but for costuming purposes on a budget, it's a bit spendy. I bought the body before the head was included, and had to buy the head separately, because they didn't just update the original. I've also spent tens of thousands on outfits for it, because fatpacks. I got my Rebirth avi when I was SL rich, and it's partly responsible for me not being as SL rich now, lol.

Worth every Linden penny, and no regerts, but unless you're looking to make it your everyday, like I have, the Tweenster body and Normie head are probably fine. Especially if you're not made of money.

Besides, it's what you do with it that makes it art, anyway.

Thanks!

I think my next step -- not an immediate one, but down the road -- may be to make one or more teenage girls. I'll be hitting you up for ideas, definitely!

On 6/27/2023 at 5:40 AM, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Zo (unisex):

LeLutka Zo Head

^^^ This Zo image is absolutely gorgeous. What a delicious look!

Sometimes I wish I hadn't seen images with possibilities such as this as. I feel another account with another $50+ looming.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, CandyCole said:

^^^ This Zo image is absolutely gorgeous. What a delicious look!

Sometimes I wish I hadn't seen images with possibilities such as this as. I feel another account with another $50+ looming.

Well, after going to try the demo at the main store a short while ago I saw the Zo head was on offer with a 25% discount until the end of this month (June).

Oooh, that was lucky timing. So I bought it! (L$2,992)

One of my alts with only the free Kaya and Lilly heads was the recipient. I couldn't face starting a whole new alt avatar. 6 is enough.

Edited by CandyCole
  • Like 2

On 6/28/2023 at 1:24 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Thanks!

I think my next step -- not an immediate one, but down the road -- may be to make one or more teenage girls. I'll be hitting you up for ideas, definitely!

Hey Scylla, have you hit up the We Love Roleplay event yet? This round's got some pretty nice gowns and dresses, if you're still costumes & clothes shoppin'.

Had to talk myself out of a LOT already.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Hey Scylla, have you hit up the We Love Roleplay event yet? This round's got some pretty nice gowns and dresses, if you're still costumes & clothes shoppin'.

Had to talk myself out of a LOT already.

Yes, I was just looking at the gallery actually. I see a few things -- two or three or maybe four dresses, a kind of adorable herbalist cottage, the veil, a few props . . . and of course the whip and elven nipple piercings. (You just know Galadriel had both, right?)

Some  of the furnishings and props I find rather funny. Beautifully laid out medieval sausages on trenchers (presentation is everything!) and furnishing for a medieval solar re-imagined as 80s suburban.

But definitely some stuff I need to check out!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes, I was just looking at the gallery actually. I see a few things -- two or three or maybe four dresses, a kind of adorable herbalist cottage, the veil, a few props . . . and of course the whip and elven nipple piercings. (You just know Galadriel had both, right?)

Some  of the furnishings and props I find rather funny. Beautifully laid out medieval sausages on trenchers (presentation is everything!) and furnishing for a medieval solar re-imagined as 80s suburban.

But definitely some stuff I need to check out!

I think there was more at the event than in the gallery, so go forth and peek! I know The Annex was there, and I didn't see anything new from them I don't think, but even their existing outfits are so dang cute!

AK released a brand new cyclops head (as well as a third eye head), and there's a skin for it there. TEMPTED, but I don't need that for anything in particular. I told myself I'd STOP buying heads after my dragon, and...then I went and bought a dang android head that I'm still working on, so NOW I'm behaving. BEHAVING I SAY! 😄

I honestly skipped over much of the furniture and decor, so I missed these sausages you speak of, lol. If you're in need of elven and fantasy-style decor, though, I'd highly recommend Raindale and Roawenwood (both are at the event, but check the main stores, too).

Speaking of main stores and decor/props - also try Love Superstore for all things nature outdoorsy. Lovely flowers, trees, grasses, trellises, fountains, etc. There's also anc Ltd., Konoha, and HPMD for that as well. Evhah has lovely outdoor decor and this gorgeous well covered in flowers that I absolutely DO NOT NEED (it's like 15 Li) but want (it was 75L or so, last I saw) off in their Mexican decor department. Simply Shelby is nice for some finishing touches (the elven lamps are super cute), and if you ever need anything on the witchy side of the equation, Candle & Cauldron is my absolute favorite place to shop for that. Their kitchen hearth is so lovely, the cauldrons serve TEA (and coffee and soup), and I adoooore my magic mirror.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 354 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.