Everyone happy with the new indexing? Is there any creator pissed off like me?

Namuri

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Ardy Lay said:

A search engine will not know what is relevant to your desire unless you tell it.  It also will not know if a product is "prims", "sculpted prims" or "mesh" unless you tell it in the product description.  Likewise, a search engine does not know what these words mean to you nor does a search engine know the chronology of construction technologies in Second Life.

If you don't want an old item to appear in search results, then disable the listing.  Superiorly, modify the listing to clearly state what construction technology was used during the product's creation.  Sometimes I want a modifiable primitive creation instead of an unmodifiable mesh creation.  Additionally, you can create a link to a newer version of an old product to help shoppers find the newer version.  Marketplace listings do have a place for product versions that you might also consider utilizing.

Thanks for the advice friend.

31 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I'm not gonna repeat myself or continue with this since clearly you can't engage.

ok Wulfie, tell me, what you think i gotta do? Sorry but i'm not sure to understand what you say...

Again, the term "relevant" does not mean "read my mind".  The search engine is just indexing text strings.  It does not have live experience and cognition.

Yes, I would expect any listing that contains the two words Japanese and temple to appear in the search results, and in no particular order if they also contain other words.

Google and Bing are currently returning similar results using the following search string:

site:marketplace.secondlife.com Japanese temple

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

Again, the term "relevant" does not mean "read my mind".  The search engine is just indexing text strings.  It does not have live experience and cognition.

Yes, I would expect any listing that contains the two words Japanese and temple to appear in the search results, and in no particular order if they also contain other words.

Google and Bing are currently returning similar results using the following search string:

site:marketplace.secondlife.com Japanese temple

well at least on google my temple is at the top 🤣🤣🤣

467f5bce84846df1af561a7901875e5d.png

UPDATE

I found a way to put my buildings back at the top of the search by simply stripping the proper Japanese names off the houses and temples and leaving just "japanese temple", "japanese tea house", and "japanese house.
Thanks for your help friends, by now i don't need to create yet another ticket on Jira.
I hope from my heart this post will help someone else creator.
I'm pretty happy.

• Thanks 2

It wasn't clear from the first post that the thing you wanted was advice on getting your products back up in search. So yes, it's a known thing that removing words you don't need from the title can help. Just don't do it to an extreme that leaves the customer confused (like all your products having an identical name).

Also add the relevant keywords to your product features section. That's much more important with the new search algorithm. Your description and features can have as many keywords as you want, so work in as many relevant words as you can. Try to write them as real sentences or phrases, rather than just listing words. It needs to make sense to a customer as well.

On 6/12/2023 at 2:14 PM, Ardy Lay said:

A search engine will not know what is relevant to your desire unless you tell it.  It also will not know if a product is "prims", "sculpted prims" or "mesh" unless you tell it in the product description.  Likewise, a search engine does not know what these words mean to you nor does a search engine know the chronology of construction technologies in Second Life.

If you don't want an old item to appear in search results, then disable the listing.  Superiorly, modify the listing to clearly state what construction technology was used during the product's creation.  Sometimes I want a modifiable primitive creation instead of an unmodifiable mesh creation.  Additionally, you can create a link to a newer version of an old product to help shoppers find the newer version.  Marketplace listings do have a place for product versions that you might also consider utilizing.

Not to be rude, but you are telling a bunch of power users, who are so involved with SL that they sign up on forums to talk about SL, how to use the search engine's advanced features to find what they want. Do you think the average user would do all this? Do you think a new user would do any of that? Imagine trying to show a friend SL and how to find stuff. So they search and find stuff that looks like it's from a very outdated game. They think SL is a bunch of outdated stuff and looks old, then you tell them they just aren't using search right. Not going to go well, I guarantee it, unless your friend is very patient. But with hundreds of thousands of games out there who cares about being patient for one? The fact that the biggest power users in SL, forums users and content creators, can't get the search engine to work right makes me feel it's the search that's the problem.

SLMP search right now is like if you went to amazon and searched for "legend of zelda" and it showed you the original NES legend of zelda instead of the switch one, because "legend of zelda" is more relevant than "legend of zelda breath of the wild." And instead of listening to complains about the the results being outdated, you just told people the search was working fine and they just had to search better.

Or imagine you search for "Joe Biden" on Google and all it does is show you results from 30 years ago when he was a senator and all the modern stuff is buried in results. And the response is "just add some filters!"

Are those results relevant? Yes. Are they useful? Absolutely not. And just so you know, this is why when they brought in Google search it failed on SLMP too. A store doesn't need relevant results, it needs relevant and USEFUL results. The text and listing has very little to do with if a product is good or not.

Sorry for the rant, and thank you for folks who said kind words about my creations. I really do appreciate it, especially in these times. But yes, I'm beyond frustrated, demoralized. Why do I spend tens of hours making in depth builds when I can just slop together old stuff and have it make more L$? I'm actually quite demoralized, because the way SLMP search is right now it discourages higher quality content and prioritizes lower quality content (even in my own store, not jabbing on anyone), which incentivizes making lower quality content. And really, why am I gonna spend time making some complex build with PBR and normals properly baked and all this stuff when old full bright baked stuff is selling the best? It's sad really. SL is amazing, I legit love the platform, and PBR and the new rendering engine is going to be amazing. But if people can't find content for pbr because the main way to find content is suggesting you buy full bright baked, sculpty, and who knows what else then what's even the point of using any new tech? I'm so demoralized I'm not even excited about PBR. I was going to make a ton of new products and get them ready for PBR, then dump them all at once. But I started working a second job IRL because I don't see SLMP providing the returns on my time invested.

And honestly I think they just want SL to be an avatar dress up platform at this point because that's obviously where all the money is now.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

It wasn't clear from the first post that the thing you wanted was advice on getting your products back up in search.

of course, all creators want that.

22 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

Also add the relevant keywords to your product features section.

I had already done this, but, at least as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't put the products back at the top of the search.

12 minutes ago, Flea Yatsenko said:

Not to be rude, but you are telling a bunch of power users, who are so involved with SL that they sign up on forums to talk about SL, how to use the search engine's advanced features to find what they want. Do you think the average user would do all this? Do you think a new user would do any of that? Imagine trying to show a friend SL and how to find stuff. So they search and find stuff that looks like it's from a very outdated game. They think SL is a bunch of outdated stuff and looks old, then you tell them they just aren't using search right. Not going to go well, I guarantee it, unless your friend is very patient. But with hundreds of thousands of games out there who cares about being patient for one? The fact that the biggest power users in SL, forums users and content creators, can't get the search engine to work right makes me feel it's the search that's the problem.

SLMP search right now is like if you went to amazon and searched for "legend of zelda" and it showed you the original NES legend of zelda instead of the switch one, because "legend of zelda" is more relevant than "legend of zelda breath of the wild." And instead of listening to complains about the the results being outdated, you just told people the search was working fine and they just had to search better.

Or imagine you search for "Joe Biden" on Google and all it does is show you results from 30 years ago when he was a senator and all the modern stuff is buried in results. And the response is "just add some filters!"

Are those results relevant? Yes. Are they useful? Absolutely not. And just so you know, this is why when they brought in Google search it failed on SLMP too. A store doesn't need relevant results, it needs relevant and USEFUL results. The text and listing has very little to do with if a product is good or not.

Sorry for the rant, and thank you for folks who said kind words about my creations. I really do appreciate it, especially in these times. But yes, I'm beyond frustrated, demoralized. Why do I spend tens of hours making in depth builds when I can just slop together old stuff and have it make more L$? I'm actually quite demoralized, because the way SLMP search is right now it discourages higher quality content and prioritizes lower quality content (even in my own store, not jabbing on anyone), which incentivizes making lower quality content. And really, why am I gonna spend time making some complex build with PBR and normals properly baked and all this stuff when old full bright baked stuff is selling the best? It's sad really. SL is amazing, I legit love the platform, and PBR and the new rendering engine is going to be amazing. But if people can't find content for pbr because the main way to find content is suggesting you buy full bright baked, sculpty, and who knows what else then what's even the point of using any new tech? I'm so demoralized I'm not even excited about PBR. I was going to make a ton of new products and get them ready for PBR, then dump them all at once. But I started working a second job IRL because I don't see SLMP providing the returns on my time invested.

And honestly I think they just want SL to be an avatar dress up platform at this point because that's obviously where all the money is now.

Try putting only the names you need like I did, man. I'm one of those who can fully understand your demoralization, but try for example changing "[FYI] Mesh Sky Island Cave Platforms" to just "Cave"; "[FYI] Drakor's Domain Castle" with just "Castle" and so on.
Writing proper nouns like "Drakor's Domain" is nicer as well, but unfortunately that creates our problem.
Congratulations again on your creations.

Another thing that really makes Marketplace frustrating for me is I don't see dates on product listings.  Sure, sellers are going to scream that their stuff is timeless or that it's none of my business when it was listed.  To that I say "Poo."

On 6/20/2023 at 1:12 AM, Ardy Lay said:

Another thing that really makes Marketplace frustrating for me is I don't see dates on product listings.  Sure, sellers are going to scream that their stuff is timeless or that it's none of my business when it was listed.  To that I say "Poo."

I agree, and after some snooping I found out you can get a pretty good estimate for the product's age from some metadata.

If you use Tampermonkey or a similar browser extension, you can get a script here: https://github.com/LittleBitwise/Userscripts/blob/7f2fb9b49799be4977ca87cd5b4279ac362d4dad/show-marketplace-last-modified.js

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.