Importing contacts and chat logs to a new computer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If "contacts list" means your in-world friends and contacts, those are stored server-side, so you'll have the same ones when you login with any viewer on any machine.

Screenshot2023-05-26015319.thumb.png.4f71fd726e92ecaad3308d5bff6852a7.png

The chat logs (and viewer settings) are stored on your local machine, in directories specific to the viewer you're using. You can find which directories Firestorm is using for this by opening Preferences, Network & Files tab, and the Directories sub-tab. You can just copy over everything into the same directory structure on the new machine. While you're at it, you may as well copy over the settings folders too, unless you want to configure Firestorm from scratch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

If "contacts list" means your in-world friends and contacts, those are stored server-side, so you'll have the same ones when you login with any viewer on any machine.

Screenshot2023-05-26015319.thumb.png.4f71fd726e92ecaad3308d5bff6852a7.png

The chat logs (and viewer settings) are stored on your local machine, in directories specific to the viewer you're using. You can find which directories Firestorm is using for this by opening Preferences, Network & Files tab, and the Directories sub-tab. You can just copy over everything into the same directory structure on the new machine. While you're at it, you may as well copy over the settings folders too, unless you want to configure Firestorm from scratch.

I have the folders copied onto a flash drive. So, on the new machine, I  put the folders into the AppData folder?

2 hours ago, KarraSue said:

I have the folders copied onto a flash drive. So, on the new machine, I  put the folders into the AppData folder?

Well, the Firestorm_x64 folders under the AppData folder, in the same directory structure as before. So the FIrestorm_x64 folder and (its contents) that came from AppData\Roaming \Firestorm_x64 would end up in the corresponding AppData\Roaming\Firestorm_x64 folder on the new machine, assuming your directories on both machines have the default structure (as in the screenshot).

In theory you could also copy over all the stuff in AppData\Local\Firestorm_x64 but I think those are pretty disposable cache files that should just recreate themselves on the new machine.

(What I'm trying to say is that the AppData directory tree contains a lot of stuff that has nothing to do with Second Life, and I wouldn't copy all that over to a new machine unless explicitly instructed to do so. I'm not sure if you were suggesting doing that.)

Really for general settings, I'd more recommend using the built in back up / restore feature. (below)  If you you have alts you need to do this for each account of course because there are individual settings for each avatar.  Point the path to a drive or folder you want to store the backups on and that's all you need worry about.  I redirect my chat logs to a subfolder here so everything is contained in one place.

in my screen I have a back up path set in the main documents folder and I put the chat logs folder right under it.  That's all i need worry about copying to a new system if the situation arises. I don't worry about anything in AppData/Roaming or AppData/Local or etc.  Firestorm still uses them, of course, I just let firestorm do the housework/heavy lifting of those locations with back up and restore.

image.png.5168061bb4e519974039a1d10fa552cf.png

• 2 weeks later...

Qie is advising you not to copy over any more than just what you want. Depending on a bunch of factors copying the entire AppData folder may screw your new computer.

What you want for chat logs is here:

C:\Users\[Windows_User_ID]\AppData\Roaming\[Viewer_name]\[SL_User_ID]

The subdirectory Roaming contains information from lots of other applications. So there is likely information here that is out of date and/or not needed.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.