How Do I Hand the Stream to a DJ on my Mainland Parcel?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

. . . which is not currently deeded to a group.

Do I need to deed it, and then invite the DJ to the group? Or is there a way to do this without deeding to a group?

I'm not entirely sure I understand this process: basically, the DJ needs to be able to access the Music URL tool in the "Sound" tab of the "About Land" dialog box? Is that correct?

Or alternately, the DJ can give me the URL, that I then paste myself into the Music URL box?

Sorry, it's been like 12 years since I last did this . . .

I don't think you need to "DEED" it, just "set it" to a group.

The group would need Roles including a role with the "Ability" of "Parcel Settings"= "Can change Music and Media Settings", and the DJ would need to be in that Group/Role.

Gee, I hope someone is able to validate my answer - but "setting" your land to a Group should be totally safe. DEEDING your land to a Group sounds potentially frought.

About Land.png

About Land.png

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Thanks 1

Typically a script is used to allow someone other than the land owner to set the audio stream.

Call https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlSetParcelMusicURL from an object with the same owner as the land.

EG ..

Change the AVATAR key to your own key, then touch .. and anyone can set the URL by staying it on channel 5 within 90 seconds

/5 http://someawesomemusic.com/blah

This will work for land your avatar owns or when deeded. 

// Put key of avatar who can enable this script here !!
key AVATAR = "8efb93ed-83cc-4b96-913e-4ea3b4b6a539";

integer LISTEN;
{
    state_entry()
    {
    }
    touch_start(integer total_number)
    {
        if (llDetectedKey(0) != AVATAR) {return;}
        llRegionSayTo(AVATAR,0,"Listening for 90 seconds on channel 5 for new stream URL.");
        LISTEN = llListen(5,"", "", "");
        llSetTimerEvent(90);
    }
    timer()
    {
        llRegionSayTo(AVATAR,0,"Timed out.");
        llSetTimerEvent(0);
        llListenRemove(LISTEN);
    }
    listen(integer Channel, string Name, key ID, string Text)
    {
        llSetParcelMusicURL(Text);
        llRegionSayTo(AVATAR,0,"secondlife:///app/agent/"+(string)ID+"/about set parcel music to "+Text);
        llSetTimerEvent(0);
        llListenRemove(LISTEN);
    }

}

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Typically a script is used to allow someone other than the land owner to set the audio stream.

1. Ahah! By using a script, they just enter the URL in response to a dialog / or chat on a specific channel.

The script has rights to make the change, so no group is required. 

So in your script example, anyone can change the stream URL, the owner just needs to touch the object first.

2. Unless you want certain users to be able to touch-to-invoke the script, then the script would need to check something like "If toucher is in Same group as Object", and Object would be deeded to the group.  I sometimes forget, in that last scenario, would the DJ need to be wearing the Group Tag that the object had been deeded to?

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

. . . which is not currently deeded to a group.

Do I need to deed it, and then invite the DJ to the group? Or is there a way to do this without deeding to a group?

I'm not entirely sure I understand this process: basically, the DJ needs to be able to access the Music URL tool in the "Sound" tab of the "About Land" dialog box? Is that correct?

Or alternately, the DJ can give me the URL, that I then paste myself into the Music URL box?

Sorry, it's been like 12 years since I last did this . . .

the most easy way is using a DJ board ( like from SHX) the manuals for  those give exactly how to set it up, and you don't have to be around as owner to get the party started.
In the "old days" it wasn't uncommon to let the dj give his stream adress, and a officer/owner paste it in the about land.

• Thanks 1

@Love Zhaoying, @Coffee Pancake, and @Alwin Alcott -- thank you all!

Weirdly, although I did create a group role for the group to which the parcel is assigned (but not deeded) with the ability to change the music and media channels under "role > abilities," that didn't seem to work: my alt Laskya shows as having permission to do that, but can't actually change it.

HOWEVER, Coffee, your script worked perfectly.

Thank you all, again! ❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

@Love Zhaoying, @Coffee Pancake, and @Alwin Alcott -- thank you all!

Weirdly, although I did create a group role for the group to which the parcel is assigned (but not deeded) with the ability to change the music and media channels under "role > abilities," that didn't seem to work: my alt Laskya shows as having permission to do that, but can't actually change it.

HOWEVER, Coffee, your script worked perfectly.

Thank you all, again! ❤️

Did your Alt wear the group tag when she tried it? May not be the issue, just asking.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Did your Alt wear the group tag when she tried it? May not be the issue, just asking.

Yep. I may have messed up somewhere along the line, but that wasn't it.

And, under "group roles," she was clearly shown as having that ability.

/me shrugs

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.