Any Active Voice Hotspots?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I noticed some of the forums have not been replied to since last year and places do close down. what are some active hotspots you hang around at?

the only ones I know are Londan City, which.. lets skip, I was warned about the the boardroom,  boy did I get an earful. I'm just feeling voice social and would like to meet some new people, thank you for replying!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the last half of my SL years, I've mostly navigated in SL through voice chat. And like many have said, the known active ones seem to be the places mentioned above.

However, since the pandemic, I've been lucky enough to be introduced by one of the people at Safe Hub to an active language learning place. And from there, I realised there are quite a few educational places that usually incorporate the use of voice for ease of learning and teaching.

Other than the place that I frequent, other ones that I know use Voice are Whole Brain Health, Dreams (a building learning place similar to Builder's Brewery), Science Circle, and a few others.

I've also crashed several book clubs, and people are generally very friendly towards newcomers. While looking at Second Life's event page and choosing Education at the drop down option, I saw another new event in which I'm quite interested to take a peek. Although, as always, my timezone has never been SL-friendly, it seems, lol.

The bottom line is that maybe you could start by searching for a specific interest that you already have that you think is possible to share in SL, and I won't be surprised if such groups might have existed under the radar.

The worst-case scenario is that you might have to start your own chat group if you can't find an active one that interests you. Maybe making a cosy and attractive invitation here in the forums could be a good start (with your preferences, rules, and conditions added too). Good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2023 at 10:26 AM, Drake1 Nightfire said:

The problem with active voice places is you have to try and carry on a conversation with 10+ people at once.. That talkover is real. It sounds like a busy restaurant. 

In my limited experience, this seems to be more prevalent in the hubs than in the learning sims I've been to. Generally, people are seated in a circle, and the teacher or moderator will let everyone speak up almost equally, unless one chooses to just observe and listen, there are assigned Observer Seats nearby.

I think most book clubs follow the same round table/seat arrangement to make people read out loud in turns as well. I've also seen some voice discussion places have this rez ball where whoever clicks it will be given their turns accordingly. I can't remember the specifics; maybe someone could share if they know about this "wait for your turn to talk" rez item thing.

Edited by Haruka Flores

3 hours ago, Haruka Flores said:

In my limited experience, this seems to be more prevalent in the hubs than in the learning sims I've been to. Generally, people are seated in a circle, and the teacher or moderator will let everyone speak up almost equally, unless one chooses to just observe and listen, there are assigned Observer Seats nearby.

I think most book clubs follow the same round table/seat arrangement to make people read out loud in turns as well. I've also seen some voice discussion places have this rez ball where whoever clicks it will be given their turns accordingly. I can't remember the specifics; maybe someone could share if they know about this "wait for your turn to talk" rez item thing.

That all well and good and I would always assume a teaching sim or book club sim would have a round robin rule. You wont find that at busy popular sim that have voice. Which was the question from the OP. Busy sims sound like a 3rd grade playground. Everyone talking at once. Heck, sometimes in more than one language. I think people have forgotten that you can have a private voice chat in IMs. 

I was a shopping event the other day. Came across two women talking at full volume in voice. Inane, mindless jabbering about whatever popped in their heads with no regard to the people around them. They were rude, insulting and just plain nasty. Remarking on everyone outfits, hair, shape and things in their profiles. All the while looking like glamazon drag queen invisible pony riders. Maxed out sliders, giant meter round... uh.. floatation devices? With a booty to match and teeeny tiny feet. SMH. This is why i have voice off most times. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.