New To Machinima. Tips and best practices?

Echelon Alcott

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 338 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've primarily done SL photography, and recently decided to explore how to create videos in SL. I have no previous experience creating videos. I've been doing videos of parties and clubs I go to.

Any tips or best practices you can share?

Here is a video I created [link]. I tried to embed it in the post, but unfortunately it does not work. Sorry. I hope it does not violate any of the guidelines.

Edited by Echelon Alcott
Embedded video did not work
  • Like 1

thats a multi-part answer, you have recorder software, most i think use OBS) then record format, then encoder which will depend on your hardware, then a resolution size which again depends on your hardware, then decide on a video editor (which alot of good ones are free) then tons of practice (which is free of course) And get a youtube account, but now adays people also shoot for tiktok format

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply, Jackson! I'm using OBS as the recorder software indeed, and have been happy so far with Shotcut as my video editor. I've been hosting the videos I created so far on my own hosting service, including the video I shared in my original post above [link].

I read in a different thread your suggestion to increase Cam. Smoothing all the way up to slow down camera movement. Would you (or anyone else in the community) know how to slow down camera movement when using a 3D mouse? I tried changing the settings under Phototools > Cam > 3D Mouse but did not achieve the same result.

for the 3d mouse there are a couple different settings i use most often. The most common is 1 on the axis settings and feathering set at .05 or .005

Another setting is keep feathering at 1, but the axis i might use like .05 or in that range depended how slow and smooth I want it. Keep in mind that this works best in firestorm where you can enter all the numbers in the cam settings located in the phototools panel, You just have to experiment between the feathering setting and axis settings to fit with your style of cam movement, remeber the 3D mouse was never intended to be used as a flycam to make video but with a little tweaking you can slow things down

• Like 1

Much appreciated your reply, Jackson!

I tried the Feathering setting, and unfortunately it has quite a different behavior compared to Cam Smoothing.

Regarding the axis settings - using the most up-to-date version of Firestorm - the only valid values it allows me to use are -1, 0 and 1; decimals are automatically converted into one of those 3 values when manually typed in. Nevertheless, using value 1 caused great distortion, so I'll keep using the default value -1. 

Here is the most recent video I created: https://peregrinelightcatcher.smugmug.com/SecondLife/Videos/230520Anubis/i-kpnm8Fv/A

Edited by Echelon Alcott

Looks like you have a good start. I have been out of the machinima scene for some years now. Have new software but my enthusiasm seems to have left the building along with UWA (the great days of SL machinima).

My only real comment is to perhaps think about telling a story. There are five gazillion SL dance videos out there. Much like all of art, the point (in theory ) is to "say something". Technically though I think you are doing very well.  I would have my cam smoothing set a bit higher. Think about other angles besides the obvious.  

Be "arty" LOL.     And of course HAVE FUN..  

• Like 3

Thanks so much for your feedback, Chic! After reading it, I went back to my most recent video, watched it, and realized how correct you are. There is no story! I was so concerned with the technical aspects, getting all the video footage and cuts/splits/splices to align with the soundtrack, that neglected that aspect.

I also appreciate the comment around cam smoothing. My challenge is that I use a 3D mouse, and cam smoothing setting has no effect on the 3D mouse. I've been trying to figure out how to configure the 3D mouse to emulate the cam smoothing setting.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2023 at 8:07 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Looks like you have a good start. I have been out of the machinima scene for some years now. Have new software but my enthusiasm seems to have left the building along with UWA (the great days of SL machinima).

My only real comment is to perhaps think about telling a story. There are five gazillion SL dance videos out there. Much like all of art, the point (in theory ) is to "say something". Technically though I think you are doing very well.  I would have my cam smoothing set a bit higher. Think about other angles besides the obvious.  

Be "arty" LOL.     And of course HAVE FUN..  

This! 

Dance videos are ‘easier’ to make because you don’t have to hunt down as many animations to ‘complete the story’, but Chic is right - there are soooooo many of them.

I’m pretty new to the scene too, but happy to share some things I’ve learned! :) 

I use OBS to film (free) and just upgraded to Premiere Pro (I pay the monthly fee cause I’m cheap), and I’ll likely stick with both until I find something better.

Premiere Pro was the only thing I could find that would give me an edited outcome that was ‘sharp enough’ - all my files coming out of Camtasia were always a little fuzzy. 

Film all the stuff! I started practicing at a club I go to sometimes and it was super helpful in teaching me about lag, textures, graphics, and how often all that stuff refreshes in world. 

There is a Machinima Monday group that meets in world - I don’t get to go often cause of RL work, but I’ve been once and it was really cool! A group of film makers get together, share stuff they have made, encourage each other, and share help/feedback. I was able to find other people to watch and learn from, and that’s been really helpful for me. :)

Happy filming! Can’t wait to see your stuff! 

• Like 3

On 6/1/2023 at 10:47 AM, Feorie Frimon said:

I use OBS to film (free) and just upgraded to Premiere Pro (I pay the monthly fee cause I’m cheap), and I’ll likely stick with both until I find something better.

Premiere Pro was the only thing I could find that would give me an edited outcome that was ‘sharp enough’ - all my files coming out of Camtasia were always a little fuzzy. 

Davinci Resolve. The free version will do everything and more than Premiere, or get the studio version, one time fee of 300. I was a adobe crack addict for years and years. Renting software for life doesn't make alot of sense, and if you can edit on premiere you can edit in resolve. and color grading video- premiere is a joke. Resolve color grading has been the industry standard for decades

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

Davinci Resolve. The free version will do everything and more than Premiere, or get the studio version, one time fee of 300. I was a adobe crack addict for years and years. Renting software for life doesn't make alot of sense, and if you can edit on premiere you can edit in resolve. and color grading video- premiere is a joke. Resolve color grading has been the industry standard for decades

JACKSON!!! YO! It's been a min! :) I will 100% go look at it if you recommended it.

Does it have good documentation, etc? Do I still have the same bells and whsitles...like can I make things brighter, sharper, and play with speeds? 

1 hour ago, Feorie Frimon said:

JACKSON!!! YO! It's been a min! :) I will 100% go look at it if you recommended it.

Does it have good documentation, etc? Do I still have the same bells and whsitles...like can I make things brighter, sharper, and play with speeds? 

everything as far as editing same as premiere, color grading is better, it has Fusion (think after effects but node based) and Fairlight a full professional sound editing built in. Tons and tons of youtube tutorials availble. The only 'downside' is if you like to work with "templates" alot less avaible than for premiere/after effects, and the titling system for like end credits is better in premiere. But you can download the free version and try that, for SL video that maybe is all you'll need anyways

• Like 1

As far as editing, I have been using Corel Video Studio and I do have the newest version installed (but alas not used). They have deals on it if you watch and you can get the "exiting" version very inexpensively.  30 day free trial.  It does TONS of stuff and many many layers which I often use. The downside to that is that Corel has decided (unless that has changed) to make older versions unusable ONCE YOU SWITCH MACHINES so having the files and the activation codes does you no good.  This doesn't (didn't anyway) happen all that quickly.   

I have used several editors over the years and I think it is good to try various ones to see what will work best for you.  If I get VERY enthusiastic I may film something again eventually. So far all I have done is TEST LOL.    

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 338 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.