Firestorm is unable to run because your video card driver did not install properly. I already updated the system. This is newly setup desktop. Please help. Thank you.

divine0328

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

15 answers to this question

The underlying cause may be that this new system is somehow using the integrated Intel UHD Graphics 770 instead of a dedicated graphics card, assuming one is installed, or maybe the graphics driver really isn't updated, despite the system being updated. On the other hand, even the integrated graphics on this CPU should be good enough to run SL, so… maybe somebody else can recognize what's going on here.

Unfortunately the screenshot is of just the wrong details to tell what's even possible on this machine. It would help, if possible, to launch Firestorm (don't try to login or you'll get that error) and choose Help / About Firestorm, click the "Copy to Clipboard" button at the bottom of that pop-up, and paste it to a new post. Of most interest… well, all of it, but especially the bits about Graphics Card.

If that doesn't work—or even if it does—you may want to launch the Device Manager control panel (just type it into the Start menu's Search box), expand the "Display adapters" section, and see what shows up there. You can right-click a listed adapter and look at its properties, including the driver details. "Update Driver" from here might work, but you may also need to get an update from the adapter manufacturer's site.

Along with all that techy advice :D I have found that running a utilities program (I use Glary utilities free version) solves a LOT of issues -- especially if you are on Win 11.  It has become my BFF and fixed a TON of things that had nothing to do with what "I" did. 

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Glary utilities

Literal normie tier PC 'software'. Anything claiming to 'fix the registry' is an auto-pass because there is literally no reason for any user to touch the registry at all.

Edited by Pekuru

5 hours ago, Pekuru said:

Literal normie tier PC 'software'. Anything claiming to 'fix the registry' is an auto-pass because there is literally no reason for any user to touch the registry at all.

Well it has fixed my issues (meaning that the things that were NOT working after an update did then work after cleaning) at LEAST a dozen times in the last few months.  So I am a fan. Sure there are other unitalities like Glary, that's just the one I use.   If Windows updates actually WORKED when applied without breaking things, that would be a wonderful thing. So far that has not be then case for me. Worse in Win 11 than Win 10 (I have both).     

Just my experience. Yours may differ. 

Okay, I guess we know a little more than before: The graphics card that SL should be running on is a Radeon RX 6400. The place to find drivers for that card is on the manufacturer's website, https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-6000-series/amd-radeon-rx-6400-series/amd-radeon-rx-6400 which shows the latest driver from April 27th. Now it's possible Microsoft got around to blessing that driver and installing it in an update, but it also wouldn't be surprising if what it thinks is "updated" is from last year. It's possible to snoop around the detailed driver properties and (probably) figure that out, but it's probably not worth it.

Even so, I'd think that whatever Windows thinks is good enough should be good enough for Firestorm, too.

I thought we knew this but now I'm not seeing it: if you haven't already tried installing and using the standard issue Linden viewer, that would be the first, easiest step toward narrowing down the problem. Ordinarily I'd expect that to fail with the same error, but if it managed to run, that would be very useful information. I'm sure you'll want to get back to Firestorm, most everybody (except me) loves it, but it's just not the easiest way to diagnose a problem.

But before any of this, if Firestorm will even launch (not login), it would really help to see that Help / About text. As Wulfie mentioned, we don't even know whether your display is plugged into that graphics card and not the integrated Intel graphics on the motherboard.

(To the topic of checking/fixing a Windows 11 installation: updates can go subtly awry. I don't know from Glary utilities, but I have resorted to Windows' built-in DISM and sfc utilities to successfully correct what ails an installation on occasion. Microsoft support has a page for getting started with those programs: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-system-file-checker-in-windows-365e0031-36b1-6031-f804-8fd86e0ef4ca . I wouldn't really expect any of that to help in this case, but I guess anything is possible given we really don't have much information to go on yet.)

Not sure if this is the same problem but i had an issue with the newest version of firestorm not loading due to the lack of a file i needed. if you look on the firestorm download page for the newest version it will mention it (Edit: I actually searched for it and found it on this page fs_startup_issues [Phoenix Firestorm Project - Wiki] (firestormviewer.org)  .my error i believe was i was missing a dll file.  if i remember correctly it suggests if you have this issue you can download the file and it gives you a link. you download and install and tada you are up and running. i believe it is a C++ or something installer for microsoft. i also have windows 11

Edited by Natasea
i am a bad speller

I thought we knew which model of Lenovo desktop this was, but I can't find that anymore, so I took a guess based on the CPU and memory configuration. Anyway, the back of the tower may look something like this:

Screenshot2023-05-17092129.thumb.png.0e3931600a1cb82fad599ef50f4abe85.png
The display should NOT be connected to the ports I marked with a red X, but rather should use one of the ports on the graphics card, which will be in one of the "optional expansion card" slots (most likely, the one with the green arrow). The Radeon RX 6400 GPU is on cards from a bunch of different manufacturers but it might look something like this:Screenshot2023-05-17092920.thumb.png.e094b65587cd8bc09f38de50f6d63654.png

I apologize if this is all obvious, but I'm not sure exactly how far along this "newly setup desktop" already is.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.