Malware detected in SL media plugin after last update.

Nijuuni

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello.

Can you tell me if this is a false positive ? My Bitdefender keeps detecting the file media_plugin_cef.dll as a malware called Gen:Variant.Lazy.327720. Is that dangerous ? I've uninstalled SL and tried to reinstall it, but now I've got an error message about this dll. All that happened after the last update. Anyone else having this issue ? Is there sthing to worry about ? Thanks for your answers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have the latest version of the LL SL viewer installed on both my desktop and my laptop.  I did not get any malware message from either malwarebytes or windows security.

I'm assuming that you downloaded the viewer directly from the Secondlife website (or through the SL viewer's auto-update process)?  If not, I would definitely get rid of the version you have, and make sure to download it directly from the Secondlife website.

I get on occasion, that the same plug-in (I think) failed. Not every time. The error is shown when I login to the viewer (official viewer).

I ignore it, because I almost always have sound turned off.

Not sure if this is related, since it does not happen every time. If I keep seeing it happen, I'll start my own thread unless I see a response that helps 🙂 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nijuuni said:

Hello.

Can you tell me if this is a false positive ? My Bitdefender ....

Let me just stop you right there.

Windows comes with an excellent and aggressively updated anti virus for free.

Microsoft decided to make the best anti-virus for Windows and give it away to everyone because AV companies were trading on fear and paranoia, this "stochastic terrorism" as a business model got to the point it was undermining the entire platform.

If your AV software didn't needlessly scare you, you wouldn't feel inclined to continue paying for it.

Good AV software is silent and invisible. 

33 minutes ago, Nijuuni said:

It seems the media plugin won't install again. I've whitelisted it but the problem remains.

🤔

• Like 3

Dunno, but still cannot install the viewer, this says the plugin dll won't write on the PC... Even with the AV disabled. I've sent a ticket, maybe it's just me but anyway.

Capture d'écran 2023-04-13 155458.png

Edited by Nijuuni

Okay finally worked by a clean uninstallation and reinstallation as said in the link below (thank you all and also Mint Linden). I dunno why this plugen failed to install and I had to reinstall from another created user on the PC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.