How can I verify that a changed username of a customer is for the same account as a purchaser of my products?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I keep running into customers who want redeliveries but for whom I have no record of purchases — which tips me off that they either bought on a different account or, more recently, that they changed usernames. How can I verify that a new username is for the account that made the purchases? Also, can they redeliver marketplace purchases to their new account name?

4 answers to this question

If they are wanting you to redeliver from your store, if you use a vendor system, it should handle the name change. 

Like Coffee said, MP purchases can be redelivered to the new name if you have redelivery enabled on the object.

If they are wanting you to redeliver for a store purchase and a vendor is not used, there is a script that you can feed the old name into and it will give you the current name.  So first have them give you their original name that bought the product.  Once you verify the name is in your records, you can feed the name into the script to get the new name.  If that matches the name of the person trying to get the redelivery, then all is good.

I found this script on the MP -- free -- and it does the job (though not in a pretty way).  You have to create a box and drop in the script.  And then, when in talking distance of the box, type "/10 old.username" into chat (username in the form of firstname.lastname -- use 'resident' if there is no lastname). 

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/get-current-username/22316474

I had a more user-friendly version somewhere, but can't find it right now.  I did confirm that the above MP one will work.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

Drop the following script in a cube, put the user's name in desc and click to get their key and a uri which will resolve their current name:

key request = NULL_KEY;
string wait_name;
{
    on_rez(integer i)
    {
        llSetObjectDesc(llKey2Name(llGetOwner()));
        llResetScript();
    }
    touch_end(integer i)
    {
        if (llDetectedKey(0) == llGetOwner())
        {
            request = llRequestUserKey(wait_name = llGetObjectDesc());
            llSetTimerEvent(5.0);
        }
    }
    dataserver(key k, string data)
    {
        if ((k == request) && (k != ""))
        {
            request = NULL_KEY;
            llSetTimerEvent(0.0);
            llOwnerSay("llRequestUserKey(" + wait_name + ") = '" + data + "' secondlife:///app/agent/" + data + "/about");
        }
    }
    timer()
    {
        request = NULL_KEY;
        llSetTimerEvent(0.0);
        llOwnerSay("dataserver timed out");
    }
}

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.