Getting Rid of Crosshairs

carrieanne755

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In the stock SL viewer & Catznip you can't - neither of which show names attached to the cross hairs (I don't know about every other viewer).

Firestorm have a setting someplace and I'm sure someone will point out where it is in due course.

Generally, this is a whole drama mess best ignored.

Put your camera anywhere you like. Some people will take it as a suggestion that you want to talk to them, others will freak out because you're looking at their partner. Deal with however you like and don't let anyone intimidate you.

I second the motion.  Look at them and hear their screams.  That's how I thin the crowd when the region is full.  That data is for THEIR VIEWER to use for properly rendering your avatar.  A pox on the bugger that added labels and called it a feature!

(It's probably actually useful when trying to understand what people are talking about when asking for help with in-world objects.)

Just in case you are asking about the crosshairs in first-person view:

image.png.1477685dd0ab27b72b0b39f0d30b9324.png

Just in case you are asking about your own ability to see the Look At and Point At crosshairs:

image.png.3d3f6dae3b955996f310c4b6c03cfab6.png

If you don't use Linden Lab's Second Life Viewer, just say so, a Third Party Viewer Evangelist will be along to help you shortly.

Oh, and don't forget the Cheesy Beacon!

image.png

Edited by Ardy Lay

It has been about a year since I have done this, but I believe I followed this guide to get rid of it in viewers that don't give you an option to disable it.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Show_Look_At

From an alt account, I no longer saw where the cross hairs were pointed at after I made those changes.  I think I set some other values in that section to 0 as well, IIRC  I had to fiddle around with it a bit I think until I was satisfied with the result.

Edit:
Be sure to make a backup of the file before making any modifications to it, and store it somewhere safe in the event that you make a mistake.

Edited by Istelathis

22 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

It has been about a year since I have done this, but I believe I followed this guide to get rid of it in viewers that don't give you an option to disable it.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Show_Look_At

From an alt account, I no longer saw where the cross hairs were pointed at after I made those changes.  I think I set some other values in that section to 0 as well, IIRC  I had to fiddle around with it a bit I think until I was satisfied with the result.

Edit:
Be sure to make a backup of the file before making any modifications to it, and store it somewhere safe in the event that you make a mistake.

And now you look like you are not aware of the world around you.  Most people seem to be using animation overrides that make them look like bad animatronics, so it probably doesn't matter.

3 hours ago, Istelathis said:

A twitchy avatar that reacts to you piloting it, while annoying, is far more human than an avatar that stares blankly into space like a thrift store creepy doll.

I get that it can be janky and pretty terrible on a good day. But it is part of the deep magic that makes SL endearing :)

11 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

A twitchy avatar that reacts to you piloting it, while annoying, is far more human than an avatar that stares blankly into space like a thrift store creepy doll.

I get that it can be janky and pretty terrible on a good day. But it is part of the deep magic that makes SL endearing :)

Now if only we could use it... and it would play on top of animations (or alters them).... mhhh. Who could do something like this?

To avoid a ”robot-like” avatar, I implemented the look-at limiting in a smarter way for the Cool VL Viewer: you set a distance under which the viewer keeps broadcasting your mouse focus, and your avatar therefore keeps moving its head, as long as you do not focus your mouse on an object beyond that distance. I have that distance set to 20m, for my own avatar, which also corresponds to the ”say” distance and thus does not impair role-playing or OOC chat interactions (when within chat range, people are less ”surprised” and less likely to be ”upset” by your interest for their avatar).

I also implemented a reciprocity algorithm (because I find it unfair to allow ”spying” others' focus while preventing them to see your own): when you limit the look-at focus, you cannot see the names of the avatars on their own focus crosshair when the latter is farther from their own avatar than your own configured distance limit...

Finally, to try and get a better usefulness for that ”look-at” info (and better than being interpreted as ”spying”), I implemented a (configurable) timer: when someones looks at your avatar (i.e. with their camera actually focused on it) for a continuous period of time (30s by default), the viewer notifies you (via a notify tip) that they are showing interest in your avatar. This is something which, I think, helps increasing the opportunities for role-play and socialization...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.