Boxing Day Sales

Jade Varela

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 524 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The holiday sales are still going. Can't stop won't stop, apparently.

Saw some skin stores with 40-50% off just yesterday. There are the weekend sales that will likely be left out for another day or two (or in some cases, all week). Lel's freebie event is going through Dec 30th. AK's 1L heads through who knows when. BeSpoke's sale started yesterday and runs through New Year's.

Shop & Hop has another week - I believe almost everything is discounted there, plus freebies. Advents mostly ended, but there are still some stores with their gifts out priced really low (10L to 35L last I saw).

I'm probably missing other things. I'm actually kind of shopped out for once. 

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Boxing Day is sort of a British / Commonwealth thing, isn't it? Do they do Boxing Day in the States?

Nope. Not officially. 

Today is functionally a holiday (banks closed, no mail, etc.), but that's just because Christmas happened to fall on Sunday, so it's being observed today.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Nope. Not officially. 

Today is functionally a holiday (banks closed, no mail, etc.), but that's just because Christmas happened to fall on Sunday, so it's being observed today.

When I was young, Boxing Day was HUGE. For me, the best thing was that the music stores had these astonishing sales on vinyl and CDs -- I'd save up as best I could a couple of months in advance (and I often got money for it at Christmas), and line up for an hour early in the morning to get into them. I usually walked out a couple of hours later with about 30 albums at 40% off. It was the nucleus of my teen record collection. 

Sadly, of course, those stores are long gone now.

• Like 3

Well, here we've got the 'mellandagsrea' ('middle-day sales') between Yule and new year's eve, but .. It's purely a commercial thing (mostly to clear out all the junk off the shelves that the stores took in to flog before Christmas, methinks). Interestingly, I noticed some stores started the sale before Christmas even started .. I guess it's a bit like how Black Friday turned into Black Week.

Consumerism muss sein?!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

When I was young, Boxing Day was HUGE. For me, the best thing was that the music stores had these astonishing sales on vinyl and CDs -- I'd save up as best I could a couple of months in advance (and I often got money for it at Christmas), and line up for an hour early in the morning to get into them. I usually walked out a couple of hours later with about 30 albums at 40% off. It was the nucleus of my teen record collection. 

Sadly, of course, those stores are long gone now.

Oh man, music stores. Those were the days. Book and art stores, too. Don't get me started, lol.

But hey, at least now we get free heads and skins and eyes for daaaaaaays. Weeks, even! That counts, right? 😩

But no really, this is a complete guess, but my assumption is we don't have Boxing Day sales in SL because the other sales just won't stop, lol. It'll be like...Jan 5th before it all slows down - right in time for the next Happy Weekend!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

But no really, this is a complete guess, but my assumption is we don't have Boxing Day sales in SL because the other sales just won't stop, lol. It'll be like...Jan 5th before it all slows down - right in time for the next Happy Weekend!

I think this is probably right. So many competing sales. Some places are still doing "Black Friday."

5 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Book and art stores, too. Don't get me started, lol.

Yeah, when I hit about 18, book stores, especially used ones, began to displace music stores as the sites of my post-Xmas binges. There used to be a strip of Queen Street West here in Toronto that had probably nearly a dozen used bookstores on it within a couple of blocks of each other, and I'd go on insane expeditions there, mostly from my early 20s or so. A few of them are still left, happily, but a lot of THOSE have gone too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think this is probably right. So many competing sales. Some places are still doing "Black Friday."

Yeah, when I hit about 18, book stores, especially used ones, began to displace music stores as the sites of my post-Xmas binges. There used to be a strip of Queen Street West here in Toronto that had probably nearly a dozen used bookstores on it within a couple of blocks of each other, and I'd go on insane expeditions there, mostly from my early 20s or so. A few of them are still left, happily, but a lot of THOSE have gone too.

Love, love, love used book stores. I pray they never go away. 

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 524 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.