Can I be forced to buy something?

Saetto

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

For some time now i've been consistently harassed by staff on a sim I roleplay at, regarding 'physical representation of my character's gear'. The main issue isn't that I refuse to buy armor, there's just nothing available for the body that I use (maitreya with vtech and legacy body with EL chest). I've stressed this more than once with supportive evidence, stating the lack of...or in this case nonexistent options, and while my character doesn't wear armor per-se, they do have a physical representation of a hardlight shield that bubbles around them. Apparently this isn't enough, but yet there are other individuals that are able to go 'armored without wearing armor'  simply because of their size or other trope-like factors that are skirting grey areas. I was recently presented with an option. Either spend IRL money to buy something that they want to fit the system, or face a ban.

I'm not sure what the TOS terms are in regards to being forced to spend money to essentially conform to biased standards, but I want to know if this is something that's allowed to be done? To be honest, it doesn't seem right to me.

• Haha 1

6 answers to this question

17 minutes ago, Saetto said:

I'm not sure what the TOS terms are in regards to being forced to spend money to essentially conform to biased standards, but I want to know if this is something that's allowed to be done? To be honest, it doesn't seem right to me.

The TOS doesn't prohibit sims from excluding avatars based on their appearance, or things they do/don't own.

Personally any RP place I've been at has never forced people to buy anything to participate in the way they like, so in your case I'd start looking for other places.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

The TOS doesn't prohibit sims from excluding avatars based on their appearance, or things they do/don't own.

Personally any RP place I've been at has never forced people to buy anything to participate in the way they like, so in your case I'd start looking for other places.

good advice!

It's not a case of being "forced", as others have already told you. You are not being forced, but you have been told that in order to keep playing there, you'll have to comply with their ruling about your equipment. You still have freedom of choice: comply, or go do something else.

All of that is completely within the Terms of Service.

Not very pleasant for you, to be sure. We're sorry about that, and hope you find another outlet for your roleplaying ambitions.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.