I'm glad Second Life starting to catch up, graphics side.

Fatih Incognito

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

26 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Do you happen to know what the current "framerate" is for reflection probes? Last I checked, I think it was once per minute (which is fine, just checking).

Not exactly, but it's something about every ten seconds now. Unless you enable realtime reflections which is updating every frame. But that setting may be removed (burried in the debug settings).

mhmm, looks more like every 5 seconds actually.

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

Thank you for explaining, I can understand that. So when people start complaining my mirror is reflecting my neighbors house, they have to set up manual reflection probe via prim cube set to reflection probe and made phantom and transparent so you can not see it or feel it but blocks anything from outside of it's scale/size/area from reflecting through.

Pretty much this!

12 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

Will mirrors be created using the new upcoming metallic roughness texture layer? 

Well, there will be mirrors at some point using Screen Space Reflections (those are currently worked on. Probably in the next GLTF viewer build). Mirrors with just cube maps do look OK for static things, but due to their low resolution, somewhat blurry and scewed if the probe isn't perfectly cubic.

However, a roughness setting of zero, and a metallic setting of one will be a chrome like material.

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:
21 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

Will mirrors be created using the new upcoming metallic roughness texture layer? 

Well, there will be mirrors at some point using Screen Space Reflections (those are currently worked. Probably in the next GLTF viewer build). Mirrors with just cube maps do look OK for static thing, but due to there low resolution, somewhat blurry and scewed if the probe isn't perfectly cubic.

However, a roughness setting of zero, and a metallic setting of one will be a chrome like material.

I keep forgetting it appears the shininess (specular) area is going away/being renamed/repurposed. I'm not too much into watching my avater in a mirror I can cam myself for that, for my walk in closet sure, however, walking into a bathroom and have parts of the wallpaper pattern react/reflect light not only from the pattern but the border of the patterns when avatar moves around the space is more my cup of tea. 

Thanks so much for taking time to explain this. Sounds very cool. 

Edited by Paulsian

The only thing left I have some confusion is why there's two spaces for the material/roughness. I noticed the material/roughness bullet is not ticked but under the texture type drop down it's PBR there. Is there a difference between the two. Maybe one is more primitive and the other more advanced. Or more options under the area of build tools named currently named shininess (specular). 

I'm guessing the section under the material dropdown will be where the textures are added and then under the bullet area there will be more options to adjust those features.  

image.png

Edited by Paulsian

The old settings under the Material drop down won't go away. Legacy materials will still be a thing.
The radio buttons are for the texture transform settings like Repeats, Offsets, Rotation. But expect some changes of the build floater in the upcoming releases.

Oh and, the legacy texture swatch isn't used for PBR. Textures will be dropped directly in the Material Editor.

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, arton Rotaru said:
16 hours ago, Paulsian said:

Well, there will be mirrors at some point using Screen Space Reflections (those are currently worked on. Probably in the next GLTF viewer build). Mirrors with just cube maps do look OK for static things, but due to their low resolution, somewhat blurry and scewed if the probe isn't perfectly cubic.

Neat, so if the cube/manual reflection probe is not a perfect cube shape it will stretch the PBR resulting in sort of a carnival mirror look. Sometimes blurry stuff looks cool, Be interesting to experiement with different manual reflection probe shapes, if that is even possible, or wonders if that is only going to be a feature that cube will unlock. 

Wondering what happens when a large group of people are in a social setting outdoors with their reflective clothing and accessories and then someone comes along with a warped reflection probe attached to their avatar. Is ARing reflection probes going to be a thing of the future? Is there a reflection probe priorty? Like if outdoors use the over ride manual reflection probes. Same with inside if someone is throwing an event with manual reflection probes can an avatar wear a manual warped reflection probe in the same place? 

The reflections are somewhat skewed anyway, but the less cubic the influence volume is, the more skewed it will be.

We will have to see how this works out in the end. There will definitely be misuse and, abuse like with everything else in SL. Reflection probes should never be attached to an avatar.

• Like 1

Considering it uses the roughness/metallic pipeline, It's safe to assume that for the GLTF version of PBR this also includes the AO map in the red channel? The wording on the PBR materials editor is a bit odd, as it nowhere near asks for AO.

24 minutes ago, PekeNL said:

Considering it uses the roughness/metallic pipeline, It's safe to assume that for the GLTF version of PBR this also includes the AO map in the red channel? The wording on the PBR materials editor is a bit odd, as it nowhere near asks for AO.

Yes.

metallicRoughnessTexture channel packed into one texture:

• Occlusion > red channel
  • Roughness > green channel
  • Metallic > blue channel

The wording is following the glTF spec actually.

• Base Color
  • Emissive
  • Normal (OpenGL style MikkTspace, per-fragment)
Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Dragon Hijinks said:

Most of this is Greek to me but the videos and images are extremely exciting! How much more graphically intensive will these be, do you think?

Well I am getting around same FPS with it, but this SL Viewer utilizing the GPU much better.

bonus: reflecting snowflakes! https://i.gyazo.com/dfc556645869be91c9146b95c9db13c1.mp4

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Dragon Hijinks said:

Most of this is Greek to me but the videos and images are extremely exciting! How much more graphically intensive will these be, do you think?

They are aiming for a comparable performance to the current release viewer.

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Fatih Incognito said:

Well I am getting around same FPS with it, but this SL Viewer utilizing the GPU much better.

bonus: reflecting snowflakes! https://i.gyazo.com/dfc556645869be91c9146b95c9db13c1.mp4

That's great news, it means SL is shifting further away from being CPU limited in performance. Most people who are CPU limited probably won't see much of a performance change at all as long as they have a somewhat decent graphics card. It'll just look a lot better.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.