I'm glad Second Life starting to catch up, graphics side.

Fatih Incognito

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Even though its a bit (nearly 10 years) late, bringing PBR and Reflection Probes (showcased in video, can be experienced within main grid at the moment) to Second Life might be one of the best decision devs made a while. Atleast for graphics geeks like me.

You can try the GLTF PBR SL Viewer (early alpha)

Edited by fatihfalmer1158
  • Like 3

• Fatih Incognito changed the title to I'm glad Second Life starting to catch up, graphics side.
6 hours ago, fatihfalmer1158 said:

Even though its a bit (nearly 10 years) late, bringing PBR and Reflection Probes (showcased in video, can be experienced within main grid at the moment) to Second Life might be one of the best decision devs made a while. Atleast for graphics geeks like me.

Almost got me with that video, good job! lol, it's not SL (yet), but yes would/will be nice to get to that point!

EDIT: It is SL! lol.... http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Margarita Bay/237/16/1007  (See the other video below, showing the car fatihfalmer1158 , is testing in Aditi... its a much better example of the new project)

Here are some pictures of the beta grid (aka, Aditi), you can see some objects used by users and Lindens while developing and testing the project... there are several examples or tests for reflections and "materials", gold and silver actually looks like gold and silver! Its just an "alpha"!

You can see them at this region: Rumpus Room 2 (secondlife://Aditi/secondlife/Rumpus%20Room%202/180/146/23) using the alpha viewer... at the building with a sign on top (Probe Volume) you can see some examples of reflections on the floor, mirror wall, glass wall, etc, quite nice, homes in SL will look a lot more interesting! If you feel like, go see it.. download the viewer, login to the beta grid, search for that region on map. 

Pictures are in resolution 800x600 (so I could fit in this post...), environment set to default "midday".

image.png

Reflections_005.png

Reflections_018.png

Reflections_007.png

Reflections_009.png

Reflections_010.png

Reflections_004.png

Reflections_020.png

Edited by Andred Darwin
The video is in SL
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Andred Darwin said:

Almost got me with that video, good job! lol, it's not SL (yet), but yes would/will be nice to get to that point!

Here are some pictures of the beta grid (aka, Aditi, it's not available at the main grid yet as mentioned above), you can see some objects used by users and Lindens while developing and testing the project... there are several examples or tests for reflections and "materials", gold and silver actually looks like gold and silver! Its just an "alpha"!

You can see them at this region: Rumpus Room 2 (secondlife://Aditi/secondlife/Rumpus%20Room%202/180/146/23) using the alpha viewer... at the building with a sign on top (Probe Volume) you can see some examples of reflections on the floor, mirror wall, glass wall, etc, quite nice, homes in SL will look a lot more interesting! If you feel like, go see it.. download the viewer, search for that region on map. 

Pictures are in resolution 800x600 (so I could fit in this post...), environment set to default "midday".

image.png

Reflections_005.png

Reflections_018.png

Reflections_007.png

Reflections_009.png

Reflections_010.png

Reflections_004.png

Reflections_020.png

Those helmets are outstanding, any chance I could get the name of the creator pleeease. I had been meaning to search for one recently and it seem'd to have found me. Love it. 

Here are another 2 snapshots showing fps, etc... in case someone is wondering... (of course not really comparable to anything.... but both with same setttings, one with 4 regions in view, another with just a set for materials/reflections.... ) btw, the machine specs are:

Second Life Project GLTF PBR Materials 7.0.0.576331 (64bit)
Release Notes

You are at 179.6, 146.0, 23.0 in Rumpus Room 2 located at simhost-08801c300f31f9236.aditi
SLURL: secondlife://Aditi/secondlife/Rumpus%20Room%202/180/146/23
(global coordinates 35,763.6, 12,946.0, 23.0)
Second Life Server 2022-11-11.576572
Release Notes

CPU: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700KF @ 3.60GHz (3600 MHz)
Memory: 65361 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10/11 64-bit (Build 22621.819)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 31.0.15.1659
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 516.59

Window size: 1920x1009
Font Size Adjustment: 96pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 512m
Bandwidth: 3000kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: 5
Advanced Lighting Model: Enabled
Texture memory: 4095MB
Disk cache: Max size 3993.6 MB (64.1% used)

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.4
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.02.06
Dullahan: 1.12.4.202209142021
  CEF: 91.1.21+g9dd45fe+chromium-91.0.4472.114
  Chromium: 91.0.4472.114
LibVLC Version: 3.0.16
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Packets Lost: 2/43,884 (0.0%)
November 15 2022 15:56:51

I should have "waited" for everything to rez... but "them's the breaks":

image.thumb.png.fe15b3891c5148a9a4c30c63cf25511f.png

Reflections_025.png

Edited by Andred Darwin
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

Those helmets are outstanding, any chance I could get the name of the creator pleeease. I had been meaning to search for one recently and it seem'd to have found me. Love it. 

I'm not sure if we can or should publish avatar names here, but here it goes, its Ptolemy Tester and owned by another avatar at the beta grid, seems like one of the "dev's" avatars, I'm not sure... (there are quite a few of them all over, its quite a mess.... they look much better at the viewer itself then the snapshot, the reflections are not static.... go see it when you can... )

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andred Darwin said:

I'm not sure if we can or should publish avatar names here, but here it goes, its Ptolemy Tester and owned by another avatar at the beta grid, seems like one of the "dev's" avatars, I'm not sure... (there are quite a few of them all over, its quite a mess.... they look much better at the viewer itself then the snapshot, the reflections are not static.... go see it when you can... )

thanks, looking through marketplace now, i'll find her. my computer stinks, appreciate your photos, very impressive. Wonders if it's going to work like shine does but with more levels of shine?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

Wonders if it's going to work like shine does but with more levels of shine?

It seems like it will... several of those test objects have "floating text" on top showing what seems to be "Metallic" and "Roughness" settings.... (I didn't really create/upload/edit a material or object there yet... maybe someone could jump in.... but I will try it sometime this week.... I'm not familiar with GLTF materials and its settings in SL...  )

Edited by Andred Darwin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Andred Darwin said:

Hahaha! It's really second life! You can use this slurl to visit the place. PBR is not working on main grid at the moment but realtime reflections works.

Also, been doing some tests on Aditi. 

RoZo9Tq.jpg

Edited by fatihfalmer1158
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fatihfalmer1158 said:

Hahaha! It's really second life! You can use this slurl to visit the place. PBR is not working on main grid at the moment but realtime reflections works.

Damn lol... not only it is SL, but it's really nice (so much that I didn't even believe it was in SL) Awesome job on both videos! That car also looks really nice, again... great job! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-L4qTE56sw (same link as you shared... )

image.thumb.png.219bdf51617a7f8ba986c5b2b8277e56.png

Edited by Andred Darwin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Paulsian said:

It's one of the  KhronosGroup glTF sample models.

https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glTF-Sample-Models/tree/master/2.0/DamagedHelmet

• Thanks 2

I'm still sort of confused how I can make objects look like those examples when it's ready for main grid. Will build tool be getting more options? Reflection Probe section and a roughness section? Around the area in attached photo? Any idea when this will be released in normal official viewer?  

Reflection Probe Location Inquiry.png

The GLTF viewer creates so called automatic reflection probes across the region. Those are currently somewhat broken, though.
For manual reflection probes there is a Reflection Probe checkbox in the build floaters Features tab.
RP_Build.JPG.9710af73a7a01aae8c14a75defc733c4.JPG

You want to set up manual reflection probes typically for the inside of a room, by rezzing a box prim, and adjusting it's size so that it slightly penetrates all inside walls of said room. Make it Phantom (or link it as a child and set physics shape type to None), and 100 % transparent. Check Reflection Probe and set it's type to Box. The Dynamic setting will include Avatars in the reflection as well.

The PBR material will be an inventory asset that can be shared. The Material can be edited with the built-in Material Editor.
PBR_Mat_Editor.thumb.jpg.830eb0da1fd096980f8cf32b6f78d16e.jpg

And no, it's not ready for the main grid. The plan is to release it before the end of this year, though.

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

17 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

The GLTF viewer creates so called automatic reflection probes across the region. Those are currently somewhat broken, though.
For manual reflection probes there is a Reflection Probe checkbox in the build floaters Features tab.
RP_Build.JPG.9710af73a7a01aae8c14a75defc733c4.JPG

You want to set up manual reflection probes typically for the inside of a room, by rezzing a box prim, and adjusting it's size so that it slightly penetrates all inside walls of said room. Make it Phantom (or link it as a child and set physics shape type to None), and 100 % transparent. Check Reflection Probe and set it's type to Box. The Dynamic setting will include Avatars in the reflection as well.

The PBR material will be an inventory asset that can be shared. The Material can be edited with the built-in Material Editor.
PBR_Mat_Editor.thumb.jpg.830eb0da1fd096980f8cf32b6f78d16e.jpg

And no, it's not ready for the main grid. The plan is to release it before the end of this year, though.

oooo how cool, thank you.

I've seen this in other games, it's going to make textures so much cooler than they already are. Textures with mirror parts. Golds are going to look golder internal texture borders can have bling now. 

Bling it's Bling!! texture bling! Texture metallic and roughness layer. Can't wait to play around with that. 

Edited by Paulsian

Wonders if there's any plans to add a texture editor to build tools so we can copy existing textures and maybe invert colors or use color filters that will work with the layers and or also mod colors of texture with eye dropper or lasso to make the selected areas compatable with which ever layer the moded texture will go. 

Edited by Paulsian

6 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

What does PBR stand for? Perspective B Rendering? 

Physically-Based Rendering

14 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

Wonders if there's any plans to add a texture editor to build tools so we can copy existing textures and maybe invert colors or use color filters that will work with the layers and or also mod colors of texture with eye dropper or lasso to make the selected areas compatable with which ever layer the moded texture will go. 

Texture editing tools aren't in the scope of this project.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 1

Apple falls from a tree and there's a prim next to it with PBR active, the pbr prim will detect the apple falling and project it based on the perspective of the avatar. That's crazy. I guess it would be the perspective of the prim that will always be the same and then depending on avatar location, my brain hurts just thinking about it. Very cool.

Edited by Paulsian

1 hour ago, arton Rotaru said:

Inside of rooms because they do not have the sunshine light per-say? Ohh I was thinking the current light probe would be the probe but the reflection probe will be the probe to make the desired metallic layer shine no matter the physical location of avatar? 

This would be a fun lab gab for strawberry linden >; ) 

I'll stop now :) exciting stuff. 

Oh I get it, but I don't. Wonders why we can't just select face and make it a reflection probe vs creating a box prim. I guess it tells the area this is a reflection zone. I think I get it now. 

So people in the future who create metallic textures need to also include instructions for setting up a reflection probe zone so the metallic textures would work or are those seperate things I wonder? 

Edited by Paulsian

22 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

So people in the future who create metallic textures need to also include instructions for setting up a reflection probe zone so the metallic textures would work or are those seperate things I wonder? 

Lets say you have a mirror inside a room. If that mirror is reflecting the cube map that is generated from the automatic probes, it would reflect an image that is also the world outside that room. But you want the mirror just reflecting what is actually inside that room. By setting up a manual probe, the automatic probes will be overridden by the manual probe and everthing inside that manual probe will be reflected in the mirror.

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

Lets say you have a mirror inside a room. If that mirror is reflecting the cube map that is generated from the automatic probes, it would reflect an image that is also the world outside that room. But you want the mirror just reflecting what is actually inside that room. By setting up a manual probe, the automatic probes will be overridden by the manual probe and everthing inside that manual probe will be reflected in the mirror.

Do you happen to know what the current "framerate" is for reflection probes? Last I checked, I think it was once per minute (which is fine, just checking).

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

19 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

Lets say you have a mirror inside a room. If that mirror is reflecting the cube map that is generated from the automatic probes, it would reflect an image that is also the world outside the the room. But you want the mirror just reflecting what is actually inside that room. By setting up a manual probe, the automatic probes will be overridden by the manual probe and everthing inside that manual probe will be reflected in the mirror.

Thank you for explaining, I can understand that. So when people start complaining my mirror is reflecting my neighbors house, they have to set up manual reflection probe via prim cube set to reflection probe and made phantom and transparent so you can not see it or feel it but blocks anything from outside of it's scale/size/area from reflecting through. 

Will mirrors be created using the new upcoming metallic roughness texture layer? I think dots are connecting again. The PBR will act as the mirror and is within the metallic roughness area. 

Edited by Paulsian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.