If LL prevented you from saving scripts in LSO format(non-Mono), would it impact you?

Lucia Nightfire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The answer to better combat is not the existing lesser of two evils. 

Its client side scripting. 

I think everyone would/should agree with that!

But weren't we talking about the effects of disabling LSO and moving forward exclusively with Mono? There's been no mention of radical new features (unless you count the null type, which I would like a lot but wouldn't sacrifice init-speed for). While the rez-delays are accentuated by SL combat, it applies just the same even to the most boring use-case of rezzing something that's meant to do something immediately... sometimes 3-5 seconds later.

Some related comments/threads:

(My previous discussion about this exact thing, actually. Lots of related info, specifics, and use-cases there!)
https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/456982-scripts-delay-in-most-sl-lands/

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/479545-deploy-plan-for-the-week-of-2021-11-15/#comment-2377065

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/490357-recent-updates-to-sl-appear-to-have-caused-problems-with-multiple-games

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

4 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The answer to better combat is not the existing lesser of two evils. 

Its client side scripting. 

That would definitely be ideal, although it sounds like the sort of thing that won't get implemented in a day.

Whilst it's not something I am personally involved in, it's my understanding that SLMC is quite popular in SL. I would definitely be weary of making moves that prevent them from making further content.

Perhaps the winning move here would be a transition period - LL stops adding new functions to LSO, but the Servers will continue to be able to compile it. The viewer would hide or disable the LSO Checkbox by default as the vast majority of people shouldn't be using it - But could be enabled via a debug setting for the few that do.  Eventually, once LL either improves Mono to the point its suitable for bullets or adds client side scripting, THEN stop compiling new LSO scripts all together?

Edited by Extrude Ragu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use LSO when I have scripts with no long lists or strings because they seem lo cause less impact on regions when arriving, probably due to the 16K allocation mention above. 

I've tried testing for speed differences in things like hinged doors opening and closing and can't see any performance change between the two in terms of speed, neither does there seem to be any changes in KFM and moveToTarget, so as mentioned above, sorting out Mono issues could then allow LSO to be stuffed in the cupboard together with old teddy bears and dolls missing an eye or a limb.

• Like 2

Sometimes I think the existence of LSO is both the crutch and the prisoner ball that prevents Mono from achieving full potential.

I mean, someone somewhere might be thinking, "Eh, this is a difficult problem to solve. Let's just shelve this task, after all scripters can fall back to LSO."

If the roadmap clearly indicates that LSO will be sunsetted, then there's no choice but to improve Mono, because there will be no fallback.

Just my 2 cents.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.