potential account risk

Your Batty

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

7 answers to this question

10 minutes ago, Your Desire said:

Hello,

I am not sure if i'm in the right forum. I noticed in peoples profiles they often have a funny quote pick that includes local chat conversations posted into the pick. If someone puts that on their profile are they at risk of their account being taken? 

If the parties have consented to the chat being posted, it's fine.  If not, LL may remove the conversation from the profile and perhaps issue a warning.  I've not heard of anyone losing their account over it but technically, it's not allowed without consent of all parties.  The ToS doesn't specify private IM or local chat either.

Except for the purpose of reporting abuse or any violation of policies to Linden Lab, the remote monitoring, posting or sharing of conversations without a participant’s consent are prohibited.

• Like 1

I am wondering when everyone got so concerned about what other people are doing and if it's against the TOS. I think people need to start worrying more about what they are doing and let other people worry about themselves.  I've seen lots of profiles with naked pictures, which I'm sure is against  the TOS, but not once have I thought to report them or even acknowledge it.  Unless it directly affects you why care at all?

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian

1 hour ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I am wondering when everyone got so concerned about what other people are doing and if it's against the TOS. I think people need to start worrying more about what they are doing and let other people worry about themselves.  I've seen lots of profiles with naked pictures, which I'm sure is against  the TOS, but not once have I thought to report them or even acknowledge it.  Unless it directly affects you why care at all?

I am not talking about reporting people. I am just wondering if it is a bannable offense because i've copied funny things people have said in local chat (not private IMS). 

1 hour ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

It's a legitimate question. Just because other people are doing something, doesn't mean it's allowed or won't get you in some sort of trouble.

There's no harm asking about it before doing it yourself if you're unsure, especially when the TOS mentions it.

• Like 2

If you didn't catch it, the TL;DR is that it's perfectly fine and legal if you ask the person ("Hey is it ok if I put this line from a conversation we had in my profile?") (assuming they say it's ok), and grey but you're probably not getting booted from SL if you don't ask.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.