Run own bot from home server without smartbots?

Michael Blackwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure if this is per say a scripting question - I guess though.

I'm tring to find a relatively simple way (or an existing product?) to have my own bot log in on my own local server and do things like give out group invitations. So essentially what smartbots offers but on my own physical server in my office at home. So no more weekly payments to smartbots, yaay! 😄

Don't get me wrong, like any other professional creator in SL, I like smartbots and have relied on it for years and still do. But now I have my own little server and I am already successfully running bots via Radegast viewer on that server without paying a dollar or taking away from my PC's resources. So I figured, why not keep that running but make them somehow be able to give out group invitations, etc. - to actually do something, right?

Cool VL Viewer has a lua API which can be used to create a group inviter (the manual even has an example script to invite people listed in a notecard)

http://sldev.free.fr/CoolVLViewerLuaManual.pdf

Radegast's API for sending group invites seems a bit friendlier though

http://radegast.sourceforge.net/wiki/LSL_Helper

Group Invitation

This command will instruct Radegast to invite someone to a group. Two things are important to note. One, the login Radegast is using has to be in the group and has to be able to send group invitations. Second, Radegast will check if someone is already in the group they are being invited to and skip the invitation if it finds that is the case.

Format of the message that needs to be sent from LSL script using llInstantMessage() is:

group_invite^invitee^group_id^role_id

invitee - UUID (key) of the person to invite
    group_id - Group UUID (key)
    role_id - Group role UUID (key) (send NULL_KEY for default role, "Everybody")

Sample script that will invite a person to a group after touching a prim that contains the script:

// UUID of the group to invite to
key groupID = "bad59d2f-0419-5f3d-95b6-3c44ab3647ee";
// UUID of the avatar running Radegast
key automator = "5583ff6c-a266-42c1-b877-c2ce3a05ad15";
// UUID of the role to invite to, NULL_KEY for "Everybody" default role
key roleID = NULL_KEY;

{
    touch_start(integer total_number)
    {
        llInstantMessage(automator, "group_invite^" + (string)llDetectedKey(0) + "^" + (string)groupID + "^" + (string)roleID);
    }
}

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Michael Blackwood said:

So no more weekly payments to smartbots

The weekly cost is "comparable" to the alternative of purchasing hardware, setting up OS, bot API which could be difficult for the average Joe.

It is also comparable to the easier, but more costly alternative of using a separate desktop machine, bot API/render based TPV(Radegast still has MASSIVE render based bandwidth consumption that you CANNOT 100% disable even when running in "renderless" mode. The same problem exists in Firestorm's Text mode.) and electricity costs running it 24/7.

There is a comparable risk with both Smartbots and closed source bot programs like Corrade since you are exposing user names and passwords with either service and you cannot see the code and 100% operations involved with either.

You are actually breaking LL's ToS by sharing names and passwords with Smartbots for their service to log your accounts on/off remotely.

LL might just lock you out of using your scripted agent alts until you explain to support that Smartbots is being used to log your bots on/off, which they did with mine when I used Smartbots. I am still using Smartbots, BTW. Support is aware of the ToS conflict, but they won't discipline you (yet). They will not comment why they will not discipline you over the ToS violation either. LL currently has a "business partnership" with the owner of Smartbots in regards to mobile viewer development.

There are feature requests for scripts to be able to send invites, which if implemented, would alleviate a ton of headaches, bandwidth and overhead, but at the same time disrupt an industry that has capitlized on the lack of such a convenience.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire

7 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

The weekly cost is "comparable" to the alternative of purchasing hardware, setting up OS, bot API which could be difficult for the average Joe.

It is also comparable to the easier, but more costly alternative of using a separate desktop machine, bot API/render based TPV(Radegast still has MASSIVE render based bandwidth consumption that you CANNOT 100% disable even when running in "renderless" mode. The same problem exists in Firestorm's Text mode.) and electricity costs running it 24/7.

There is a comparable risk with both Smartbots and closed source bot programs like Corrade since you are exposing user names and passwords with either service and you cannot see the code and 100% operations involved with either.

You are actually breaking LL's ToS by sharing names and passwords with Smartbots for their service to log your accounts online.

Thanks for your input!
That's why I wrote, I'm not saying anything against smartbots. I have used it for years and still am and happy with it. Of course it is cheaper than setting everything up manually.
Except that was my point in my topic, which I explained: I now do have everything set up manually anyway. The server is there and running in my home no matter what, for other purposes. So with that in mind, I might as well run my bot(s) without smartbots directly. But I agree, of course, for the average Joe who doesn't have a set up and running server at home, smartbots is way cheaper and less complicated than getting an own server.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.