Impact of available land capacity on performance

Atiya Woller

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 693 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I own two mainland parcels, 8192 sqm and 1024 sqm in the same region, both parcels are separated and can't be joined. Two questions now:

1. Does the number of available landcapacity (former prims) have an impact on the performance (the more prims are used, the more laggy is the sim?)?

2. If I've dissipated all prims of one parcel, c an I then use the remaining free prims from the other parcel (I guess 'no' because the parcel capacity is the limiting factor?)?

In my imagination the region represents the server and the parcel represents a partition on the server (may be I'm wrong).

Thank you in advance for an answer.

5 answers to this question

1) The amount of LI available only impacts performance such that the more things that are rezzed, the more things for the viewer to show you -- and the more complex any single item is, the harder the viewer has to work to show it.  And that will likewise impact anyone else's view as well, though each person's computer will handle it differently.  Excessive scripts can impact the entire region.

2).  All parcels in the same region and owned by the same person or group can share the LI amongst them as they wish.  One parcel could use them all, if you wanted.

RE:  "In my imagination the region represents the server and the parcel represents a partition on the server."   
Nope, that is not how it works in reality.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

1.  I would say yes and no - I think there are several factors involved - how full the region is,  how full your parcels are, and how well optimized all that content is that is in your draw distance.  Other factors that might also impact whether you feel the region is laggy or not could be your viewer graphical settings and/or your connection / ping time to the region (and how stable that connection is). 

2. If parcels are in the same region, with the same owner (either individual or same group) they can share LI between them.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Atiya Woller said:

I own two mainland parcels, 8192 sqm and 1024 sqm in the same region, both parcels are separated and can't be joined.

If they're in the same region with the same owner, they not only share the same pool of available land impact, they can be joined; they do not need to be adjacent. It can be tricky to stretch a terrain-selection rectangle to span a bit of both parcels (especially with camera constraints), but it's possible. (This gets really tricky if land between the two parcels is owned by a group in which the avatar also has land abilities. I've had to enlist an alt to help out in such cases.)

• Like 2

The LI, or to put it in old fashioned terms, the number of prims being used, doesn't affect region performance.

But there is an indirect effect that can be very powerful: The TEXTURES used on those objects very strongly affect VIEWER performance.

You can be at ground level on a parcel and be getting 15 fps, then teleport up to 1,000m (above which the viewer does not render any textures down at ground level) and see your fps jump up to 70, 80, or more.

Friends don't let friends use 1024 textures.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 693 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.