Cannot select object on land - I FIXED IT

spookyboo22

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi :)

I added Slender Man to my land and since he makes this really loud banging noise I want to remove him but I can no longer find him. When I show objects in About Land all I see is this star that I cannot click. I've tried moving the terrain around  and flying to see if he some how moved from where I put him or I accidentally hit the move while placing him but there is nothing but this star I can select. I know it is him because when I get near it, the loud banging starts again.  Is there a way to select the object without clicking? I tried both the Second Life viewer and Phoenix without luck. Thanks!

FIXED: 

Just in case anyone ever has this frustrating problem again in the SL Viewer, place an object right next to it and then drag the mouse to select both of them and delete. I couldn't drag the mouse over just the star, it had to have something next to it. I don't know why. I'd like to know why if anyone knows why, but that is how I finally killed Slender Man.

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 1.19.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 1.28.51 PM.png

Edited by spookyboo22

9 answers to this question

Just in case anyone ever has this frustrating problem again, place an object right next to it and then drag the mouse to select both of them and delete. I couldn't drag the mouse over just the star, it had to have something next to it. I don't know why. I'd like to know why if anyone knows why, but that is how I finally killed Slender Man.

7 minutes ago, spookyboo22 said:

Hi :)

I added Slender Man to my land and since he makes this really loud banging noise I want to remove him but I can no longer find him. When I show objects in About Land all I see is this star that I cannot click. I've tried moving the terrain around  and flying to see if he some how moved from where I put him or I accidentally hit the move while placing him but there is nothing but this star I can select. I know it is him because when I get near it, the loud banging starts again.  Is there a way to select the object without clicking? I tried both the Second Life viewer and Phoenix without luck. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 1.19.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 1.28.51 PM.png

With Firestorm viewer, use the Area Search in the World menu to find him.  Right click on the item in the list and either delete or take.

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

With Firestorm viewer, use the Area Search in the World menu to find him.  Right click on the item in the list and either delete or take.

Thanks :) I tried firestorm but it was moving so slowly for some reason it was hard to try the options. I'll remember this is I ever need to. Thanks for the info!

I think this is the reason the "extra object" trick worked:

• The star was a transparent object. I often have trouble selecting these unless I have View Transparent enabled (CTRL+ALT+T)
    • Alternatively, the star was a very tiny object. These too can be hard to select, unless you're zoomed in very very close.
  • But, if you already have another object selected, the system easily includes additional objects when dragging a selection rectangle over them.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, spookyboo22 said:

I tried slender man again to see if i could get it to work this time then i accidentally deleted my whole house trying to  do it again. lol 

After having done that myself more than I care to admit, I've gotten into the habit of Locking houses and skyboxes.  You can easily unlock if you want to edit and such but if you try to delete or edit while locked, you'll get a popup asking if you want to delete/edit a locked object.

• Like 3

On 7/6/2022 at 10:38 AM, Rowan Amore said:

After having done that myself more than I care to admit, I've gotten into the habit of Locking houses and skyboxes.  You can easily unlock if you want to edit and such but if you try to delete or edit while locked, you'll get a popup asking if you want to delete/edit a locked object.

Thank you. Great idea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.