Sharing Notecards in a Prim?

Raena Parx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm working on a project where a prim would hold several notecards that would be editable, and are Full Perm.  Of course as the owner, this is no problem.  But I am unable to find a way to allow someone else to share the option to view/edit the notecards within the prim.

I tried setting the object to a GROUP, and using a GROUP tag, which did not work.

And I even tried sharing edit permissions with someone, and that did not work either.

I also searched the LSL commands but couldn't find anything.

Does anyone have an idea of how to go about something like this?

Thank you so much,

Raena Parx

2 hours ago, Raena Parx said:

I'm working on a project where a prim would hold several notecards that would be editable, and are Full Perm.  Of course as the owner, this is no problem.  But I am unable to find a way to allow someone else to share the option to view/edit the notecards within the prim.

I tried setting the object to a GROUP, and using a GROUP tag, which did not work.

And I even tried sharing edit permissions with someone, and that did not work either.

when the object is owned/deeded to group and the contents (notecards) are set to modify permission then group members with edit rights on group objects can edit the notecards in the object

in the case of you being the owner of the object then anyone you give edit rights on your stuff too, can edit the notecards when the notecards are set to modify permission

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mollymews said:

in the case of you being the owner of the object then anyone you give edit rights on your stuff too, can edit the notecards when the notecards are set to modify permission

I haven't tried notecards, but with respect to scripts this can be viewer-specific. Cool-VL viewer lets me edit scripts directly in an object owned by someone who has given me edit perms, other viewers I've tried, I have to copy the script to my inventory, then drop it back into the prim.

2 minutes ago, SeanMcDonald said:

Side note: I didn’t know Cool-VL was still in use. I stopped using it when Henri decided not to support EEP, and haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere in months. 

He's still banging away at it. I don't use it regularly, and I'm not a major fan of the interface, but it has some features which are worth switching to every blue moon, and are worth being aware of, for example client-side scripting.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, SeanMcDonald said:

Side note: I didn’t know Cool-VL was still in use.

The Cool VL Viewer (please, name it right, ”Viewer” is *part* of the name, just like ”Tower” in Eiffel Tower) has existed for the past 15 years, and will keep existing for the years and decades to come (well, unless I die sooner, or SL closes down...).

18 hours ago, SeanMcDonald said:

I stopped using it when Henri decided not to support EEP, and haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere in months. 

I never ever said I ”won't support EEP”: I really do not know from where you got this fake news from !!!

In fact, my viewer was the very first TPV to implement it, but it had (and still has, for the legacy v1.28.2 branch) support for a dual renderer that can do either of WL or EE (*), at the flip of a check box (first experimental EE branch released on 2020-05-30, and before that the stable branch could deal with and convert EE settings to WL since 2019-08-03) !

The reason for keeping the WL renderer for so long, along the EE one, was that when it got released (or rather rushed out) by LL, the EE renderer was super-slow and very glitchy (occlusions were largely broken for example, and only got properly repaired in the performance viewer).

Things have changed now, and the current stable branch of the Cool VL Viewer (v1.30.0) dropped the WL renderer and only runs the EE one, in its ”performance viewer” incarnation, which is also faster than WL...

--------------

(*) EE now and not EEP, since the ”P” was for ”Project”, and since Extended Environment is now live, it is no more a project... 😛

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 2

Thank you all for your help. I actually did try to share edit permissions with someone and they said they still could not access it. I'll have to ask which viewer they were using. If it's viewer-specific, then this build is probably not a great idea for the common folk.  I was really hoping there was a simple command that asks the owner if they permission to someone else to edit. Ah well. Thank you all so much. I appreciate your input!!!!! :)

24 minutes ago, Raena Parx said:

Thank you all for your help. I actually did try to share edit permissions with someone and they said they still could not access it. I'll have to ask which viewer they were using. If it's viewer-specific, then this build is probably not a great idea for the common folk.  I was really hoping there was a simple command that asks the owner if they permission to someone else to edit. Ah well. Thank you all so much. I appreciate your input!!!!! :)

Did You try checking the 'share' checkbox on the object, and in the properties of the notecard, then having them wear the same group as the object is set to? if that doesn't work, then you just have to be content with dragging the notecard from the object's inventory into your own inventory to edit it, then removing the old one form the prim and dropping in the new one.

6 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

I never ever said I ”won't support EEP”: I really do not know from where you got this fake news from !!!

I'm not sure, either.  I'll download and try out the current version.  Thanks for setting the record straight.

Thank you Quistess.  That worked!  After I made the notecards group shared, it worked. My alt avatar was able to access the files and edit/save.  But I did a test by removing my alt from the group and she was still able to access it.  I think there's a delay from when someone is add/removed from a group.  Will have to test this futher. But for now at least it's working!   Thank you!!!!

• Like 1

Hmmm...so to continue with this post, I read the Secondlife Wiki re: sharing notecards here:

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Editing_someone_else's_scripts_and_notecards

I've done everything as explained, and testing permissions with my alt avatar. But now, even tho the notcards and containing prim are set to Group: Share, my alt avatar has access whether or not she's wearing a tag, whether or not she has edit permissions withing the group settings, and whether or not she's even a group member (i tested that too). I'm very confused why she still has access after all this.  Any ideas?

Do you mean in the group settings?  so...my alt has 2 titles. One is "everyone" like all other group members, and the other is "assistant" that gives all permissions like an owner. I unchecked her assistant assignment. Thought that would do it. But I even ejected my alt from the group to test it, and she STILL had access. Very confusing.

Pretty sure she means "friend" permissions, not "group" permissions. So to check if that's the situation for your alt, you'd start with Ctrl-Shift-F to bring up a window with your Friends list, something like this:
image.png.cb47c14f2bf663546348b4112e109244.png
Details will vary by viewer, but even Firestorm has some way of identifying whether the friend (your alt) can edit your stuff; here those circled icons with arrows in and out indicate the friends can edit each other's stuff (permissions granted by each to the other). Those permissions are set and changed in the profile window (shown on top here, with the Permissions dialog chosen from the "gear" pulldown menu).

• Like 2

Wow Qie. Thank your for pointing that out.  It never even dawned on me.  I did check and yes, my alt HAS permissions to edit my objects. I must've set that up years ago when I created her and forgot about it.

When I have more time to test it, I'm anxious to see if that fixes the problem.  Will post later to let you know.  Thank you again!

• Like 1

Hee Hee, I couldnt wait to try it.  You were right!  My alt avi had edit permissions, so regardless of group settings she could edit stuff which really confused me.  I turned off her permissions as friend.  Now everything is working perfectly!   Thank you soooooooooo much, you fixed it!!!!

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.