Remember the "Place Pages" we were given?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 hours ago, SkyeRyder Varriale said:

I know they had a major crash but do they still exist?  Merchants desperately need more direct ways to advertise in SL especially with the prices of land.  

What crash?

It's a vague memory from months ago, but I think there was some talk at a Web User Group about what features belong in Place Pages; not sure whether they were considering enhancing or replacing the functionality.

Place pages are used (not particularly well) for the Mainland abandoned land auction site.

We used them as a kind of directory of in-world locations for the Virtual Railway Consortium website. They're a handy place to use 360-Degree Snapshots, but I haven't updated the ones on the VRC site in years.

The main problem with the feature is that there's no obvious promotion of them, but rather they currently seem intended for large groups to promote their SL presence and lure existing web traffic to specific SL locations. (I guess.)

I wonder if they could add value to the Destination Guide—or somewhere. They aren't even used in the one sample Community Page, a feature introduced with some fanfare earlier this year. In describing Community Pages, Inara Pey made the point:

Hopefully, this will be addressed as these pages grow, and a meaningful means of perusing / filtering the pages will be provided; two of the reasons Place Pages (arguably the last initiative similar in nature to this) didn’t take on were that a), the places.secondlife.com parent domain was never really folded into the rest of the SL web properties such as to make navigating to it easy without lodging the URL firmly between your ears; b) there was no convenient way to peruse / filter available places other than Search – which was far from handy.

There's that stranded search page, but otherwise, no promotion in Lab's SL-linked media, so it's hard to justify much work creating one of these pages.

11 hours ago, SkyeRyder Varriale said:

Merchants desperately need more direct ways to advertise in SL

Advertising has mostly gone outside of SL. Social media is where it is happening these days. There are several dedicated websites for promoting sales events and also sites like Flickr and Facebook are being heavily used for promotion. You are almost forced to have a presence there and will miss out on a lot of business when you don't 

The Marketplace is also a good tool if used correctly. Do regular promos there so you remain on the first pages of results and it brings business. 

Last but not least. The good old store group. It still pays to have one in SL. It is the most direct audience you can have. Keep people engaged and offer them something good and you will always have a good customerbase.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.