Secure and private sandboxes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Also, I love your name

When LL finally added the ability to change your name, I logged in and saw Rover in the last name list and I couldn't resist the opportunity to meme.  

6 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

except that most people would expect them to be free, so you may need to make your money on ad boards.

I'm okay with this.  My plan is to monetize the sim with the shops and connected music venue. 

What I'm interested in is feedback on how the stalls work; and I forgot to post a link in my OP.  They're designed to be 100% private and moreover, grief-proof.  At least in the sense that you'd need to grief the sim in order to grief the person inside the stall.  

Link: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Petoria/184/24/28

• Like 1

It's possible to set a parcel for pay-to-enter. That's in the Parcel Details dialog. If you do this, green ban lines with dollar signs appear around the parcel. You then must pay the parcel to get in.

I've only seen this twice on all of mainland.

You can also manipulate the ban list from LSL. So you could have a room with a door surrounding a parcel. The parcel normally has a ban line up. When an avatar approaches the door, an LLSensor detects this. If no one is inside, the new avatar is added to the parcel's pass list, the ban line drops for them, and the door opens. When they leave, and the door closes behind them, the pass list is cleared.

A simpler approach is just to have a closed room in which nothing is sittable. You can make things non-sittable by putting in a script that turns "allow nonscripted sit" off. This prevents camming in and sitting.  Have the door arranged so that it will not respond to clicks from the outside if someone is inside. Put a sign on the door that lights up "Occupied". Make it a parcel and set uncheck "Can see and chat" in parcel options, so outsiders can't watch clothes changing.

If you just need a sandbox, there's Builders' Brewery, which is not private but will rapidly ban anyone griefing.

I do most of my large building in the large adult premium sandboxes west of Zindra. I've never been bothered there.

• Like 2

Not sure if the nature of your land is a private sim or a mainland parcel, or if your visitors are likely to be new users on the default viewer or experienced users.

On my private sim, I provide privacy to my guests using a technical solution that limits how far users can cam and how they can move. It's a combination of RLV / Experience Permissions.

I use Experience Permissions to temp-attach a HUD to the visitor as they enter a special miniature parcel in the sim. Once the HUD has attached, confirmed RLV is enabled, it issues the @camdistmax command to prevent guests camming into private spaces far away, along with some other commands to prevent sit tp and flight. The parcel has TP routing also so it's not possible to TP command yourself into someones private space.

Of course a really determined user can probably find some way to circumvent such measures, but see the measure like a fence - It keeps honest people honest and gives you day to day privacy, of course there are hooligans who can break your fence or climb it, but it's a much less common problem.

The solution I came up with is dividing my sim into 1 parcel per sandbox and sticking a phantom prim around it that changes color based on occupancy and scans every half a second or so to make sure no other avatars have entered.  It seems to be working pretty well and I haven't figured out a way to break or grief it yet so I'm fairly happy with it. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.