Viewer Issue?

Maia Beltran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, not sure if this is a viewer issue or not, but couldn't find the right section to post in...

We have had these plants in for some months now and both my partner and I both noticed that they look like this all of a sudden. Other plants appear the same way. We tried a restart of our region and it didn't help. What causes this?

https://gyazo.com/369fe337bb04c732fdb34b6549d5cc23

10 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

First step is to check with the official viewer and see if the problem persists. If it does, it might a bug and some public location in SL where these plants can be seen would be helpful in reporting it to LL.

Thanks, we will give that a try!

• Like 2

Looks like the texture alpha mode got changed to NONE.  If you can edit the thing, try changing that to Alpha Blending or Alpha Masking and tinker with Mask Cutoff.  If that fixes it, find and set the LOCK checkbox.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That does indeed look like the alpha texture bug. 

I assume that this is visible to everyone once it has been triggered. It happens in all viewers. It tends to happen to plants but possibly because these are more noticeable.

There are Jiras for this, the only one If could quickly find was this one. Which is set to "needs more information" so you might want to try adding a comment.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-230211

@Whirly Fizzlewill know if there is a canonical Jira that has all the history of this bug, I am sure.

It appears to be independent of viewer

This is a better report, https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-8715

Edited by Beq Janus
ETA additional Jira
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

Looks like the texture alpha mode got changed to NONE.  If you can edit the thing, try changing that to Alpha Blending or Alpha Masking and tinker with Mask Cutoff.  If that fixes it, find and set the LOCK checkbox.

This was the solution! My dear partner changed the plants to Alpha Masking and boom, no more ugly plants! Thank you so much Ardy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Maia Beltran said:

This was the solution! My dear partner changed the plants to Alpha Masking and boom, no more ugly plants! Thank you so much Ardy!

Out of interest, do you both have edit rights to the plants (i.e. do you have edit rights to your partner's objects and/or vice versa)?

The potential causes of this bug revolve around material updates and shared edit rights and a perfect storm... It's not super important but does add an extra data point for the future.

4 hours ago, Beq Janus said:

Out of interest, do you both have edit rights to the plants (i.e. do you have edit rights to your partner's objects and/or vice versa)?

The potential causes of this bug revolve around material updates and shared edit rights and a perfect storm... It's not super important but does add an extra data point for the future.

Yes, we both have edit rights to each others objects.

2 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

I guess this old viewer bug is back or the viewer you or your partner is using needs an update.

I'm far from convinced it ever went away. There have been various guesses as to what causes this (as per my comment above) but I don't think anyone has nailed it down. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 7:51 PM, Ardy Lay said:

Oh thanks for that. Good to know!

On 4/16/2022 at 6:02 AM, Maia Beltran said:

I love finding the solution to problems like that. Sometimes I have a problem for months and find out it was all cause by one check box somewhere.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.