high vertices mesh upload?

headda

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i am confused, how when people make for example a necklace with a lot of gems that they been placed on the necklace ( liek thousnds) and upload it to second life ? i mean thats very high count of tringlas and vertics and when i upload a necklace with a lot of placed gems that i been working for hours on it doesnt let me upload the mesh at all becasue of high numbers and the more i reduce on blender the more its losing its quality and becomes a deformed necklace. my question is how they upload this such of a big mesh that count a lot of vertices ?

The limit is 65536 vertices per mesh. That's the limit everybody is bound to. So mesh objects that are higher in count are linksets. Looking at your other thread, I see that you tried that already, but had problems resizing it. So the solution is to look into why the resizing doesn't work as expected. I guess you are trying to stretch the object in just one dimension, rather than resizing it on all 3 axes. Stretching in one dimension can be problematic. The links require to have their axes aligned to the same orientation at least. I don't know how the stretching works out on a necklace linkset, though. Stretching will deform it as well.

Having said that, you really shouldn't take those highpoly meshes as reference for building mesh content. I know, it looks pretty up close, but it's really not what a realtime environment like Second Life requires to perform well. The art of making game ready content is to make it look pretty with the least amount of resources used. Making highpoly, and bring it into SL is for those who just can't do better, or don't know better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arton Rotaru said:

Having said that, you really shouldn't take those highpoly meshes as reference for building mesh content.

What ARTON SAID LOL.

You need to realize that there are various uses for mesh objects and reasons to make them. One (the gazillion vertices type) is made to be used IN PHOTOGRAPHY, not in a virtual world.  What we need in Second Life is different. They have a lower poly count by far (or should  anyway) and are classified as "game assets" of "low poly mesh" (there are of course all types of "low" in that designation. 

If you see complex necklaces with tons of gemstones in SL it is most like that a  good portion of the LOOK is from texturing and not triangle count. You don't need to make all the facets in order to give the impression that you have gemstones.   I could go on and on but will stop here LOL. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2022 at 12:13 PM, headda said:

i am confused, how when people make for example a necklace with a lot of gems that they been placed on the necklace ( liek thousnds) and upload it to second life ? i mean thats very high count of tringlas and vertics and when i upload a necklace with a lot of placed gems that i been working for hours on it doesnt let me upload the mesh at all becasue of high numbers and the more i reduce on blender the more its losing its quality and becomes a deformed necklace. my question is how they upload this such of a big mesh that count a lot of vertices ?

1) Too high vertice count, as has already been stated

2) You used automated LODs in importer, so it will decide how to 'decimate', 'break down' or as you said 'deform' the necklace as it sees fit - and usually the results are not the best :/

3) Yes people upload high vertice/triangle items - not all, but many. Please create a habit of uploading efficient models

And this goes to - you have graduated to now learning how to work with High Poly models, How to Bake them Down to a Lo-Poly model, and even how to Create LOD models for use in Second Life.

basic-hi-to-lo-poly-example.thumb.jpg.a5c060a5128c00274861d84a7b5c39ea.jpg

Sure this necklace isn't pretty (I only did quick texture :D

Create a low poly mesh

Apply a multiresolution modifier, subdivide or other technique where you can Sculpt details.

Learn the technique to bake the high poly (sculpted) model to the lesser, more efficient low poly model.

Texture in the software of your choice.

Learn about and create LOD models for Second Life and tell the importer how you want to represent each stage of the LOD

My result for example is about 544 tris and could probably do more. Just wanted to demonstrate how one could have a lot of detail without a lot of vertex/tri counts.

Edited by entity0x
  • Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.