How to change color of walls in your homes?

TheMainOtaku

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So My Sister and I are living in a ONSU home in a neighborhood that has ONSU and other homes available, when riding around the neighborhood we've noticed that some of the other homes within our neighborhood that are also made by ONSU have wall colors. Pink, Yellow, Red, Burnt Orange, any color you can think of someone has it in there homes. These are homes that rentals so i know they didn't place these homes themselves so there is no HUD or whatever and someone in the neighborhood has the same home we have but they've got pink walls.

We'd like to do that with our home! Problem is we don't know how to do that so we're scared to try due to not wanting to mess up the house. Can someone please explain how to place wallpaper in a home? When i bought some wallpaper and was ready to risk it all i saw that the wallpaper was a texture and not a literal wall.. wall of paper you place down against the wall.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Please explain step by step, i'm not good at vague explanations!

Sorry if this was poorly worded, i'm not use to posting actual stuff here lol

I'm not clear if you own your house or if it's owned by someone else, but is unlocked and modifiable. If there is a person to whom you pay rent, you should IM them or send them a notecard to ask how you can change the color of your walls.

If you have rights to modify your house, be careful of changing textures on it. It's very easy to accidentally change the texture of the wrong piece of the house or to change the textures on the whole house with one fell swoop. Then suddenly your whole house, including the windows, looks like wallpaper.

It's much safer to change the tint of walls. Right click on the wall or surface you want to tint. Open the Edit widow and the Texture tab of the Edit window. You'll see a window that says Color above the window that says Texture. Click on the window that says Color. This opens another window with a rainbow of colors and some boxes of preselected colors. Using the preselected options is easiest, but if you want to pick your own color, you can drag it from the Preview window at the left into one of the uncolored boxes. Once you've done this, you can easily reuse that same color. To the upper left are various boxes with numbers in them. Saturation says how strong the color should be.  A number or 0 entered in that box turns any color in the preview window Black. A number of 100 in that box turns any color in the preview window White. In general numbers from 50 to 90 work best when tinting surfaces that already have a texture to them. Lower numbers may be too dark and will obscure details in textures. 

If all this sounds complicated, rez a box and practice tinting that first before trying to tint your house. If you make a mistake or change your mind immediately, there is a Cancel button in the pop-up windows that lets you undo changes before you close those windows.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Do you own the house? We need to know that before we can make suggestions. It makes a difference in what you are able to do with the house. I'm guessing you aren't the owner, but want to make sure.

Hmm this is my first time like doing anything with land, rentals or anything of the sort on SL so please bare with me with this explanation!

We're in a rental, this rental is in a neighborhood, and we don't OWN the house, we're just renting it.

Uhh, the owner of the land/area gives everyone a rezzer so you can pick a home from said Rezzer! That's what we are doing.

4 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I'm not clear if you own your house or if it's owned by someone else, but is unlocked and modifiable. If there is a person to whom you pay rent, you should IM them or send them a notecard to ask how you can change the color of your walls.

If you have rights to modify your house, be careful of changing textures on it. It's very easy to accidentally change the texture of the wrong piece of the house or to change the textures on the whole house with one fell swoop. Then suddenly your whole house, including the windows, looks like wallpaper.

It's much safer to change the tint of walls. Right click on the wall or surface you want to tint. Open the Edit widow and the Texture tab of the Edit window. You'll see a window that says Color above the window that says Texture. Click on the window that says Color. This opens another window with a rainbow of colors and some boxes of preselected colors. Using the preselected options is easiest, but if you want to pick your own color, you can drag it from the Preview window at the left into one of the uncolored boxes. Once you've done this, you can easily reuse that same color. To the upper left are various boxes with numbers in them. Saturation says how strong the color should be.  A number or 0 entered in that box turns any color in the preview window Black. A number of 100 in that box turns any color in the preview window White. In general numbers from 50 to 90 work best when tinting surfaces that already have a texture to them. Lower numbers may be too dark and will obscure details in textures. 

If all this sounds complicated, rez a box and practice tinting that first before trying to tint your house. If you make a mistake or change your mind immediately, there is a Cancel button in the pop-up windows that lets you undo changes before you close those windows.

Hmm this is my first time like doing anything with land, rentals or anything of the sort on SL so please bare with me with this explanation!

We're in a rental, this rental is in a neighborhood, and we don't OWN the house, we're just renting it.

Uhh, the owner of the land/area gives everyone a rezzer so you can pick a home from said Rezzer! That's what we are doing.

(Copy paste cuz i'm an idiot)

Sends Hugs, 'cuz you're not an idiot, just inexperienced.

Contact the person who's name is on your rental box as the owner of it or a person who's listed as an owner or manager of the group that owns your land and/or house. If you receive a notecard with directions when you rented, that should tell you who to contact with questions. It seems like there may be a way for you to change the color of your walls, but it may require the assistance of a rental owner or manager.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Sends Hugs, 'cuz you're not an idiot, just inexperienced.

Contact the person who's name is on your rental box as the owner of it or a person who's listed as an owner or manager of the group that owns your land and/or house. If you receive a notecard with directions when you rented, that should tell you who to contact with questions. It seems like there may be a way for you to change the color of your walls, but it may require the assistance of a rental owner or manager.

Aww thank you  :3

I will contact the owner and ask for some help! Thank you for the help! You've really helped!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheMainOtaku said:

OK, from what you say about a rezzer, I think I can guess which estate you are renting from. If I'm right, the owners are super nice and helpful, so yes, do contact them! The owner of the house is the only one who can edit it. 

EDIT: The owner can also give others edit rights on their objects, but I don't want to make things too complicated here. :) 

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

OK, from what you say about a rezzer, I think I can guess which estate you are renting from. If I'm right, the owners are super nice and helpful, so yes, do contact them! The owner of the house is the only one who can edit it. 

EDIT: The owner can also give others edit rights on their objects, but I don't want to make things too complicated here. :) 

Thank you for replying and you're correct if we're thinking the same place! The owners are uber nice so i'll just ask them! I've been doing other things tonight but i'll contact the owners tomorrow! :DDD

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.