question about Land

Zopper

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I had an question about Land im wondering, if i want to buy land, which has fullrights? as in people are able to live there w rent/ have stores etc. What would that type of land be called, english isnt my first language, but i hope you understand, someone said thats called full region? 

But how would you know you are able to rent houses there/terraform, and basically make it your own how could you tell, and also where can i look for land like this? if you have an link or maybe inworld? Thankyou.

The "ultimate authority" of any land use restrictions for a region is its "Covenant" which you can access thusly:

182827600_Screenshot2022-04-05112024.thumb.png.4885e3d9cdbeba592f5c499a3fb763e7.png

Most of Mainland will have no covenant at all, which gives the ability to do everything you mentioned. In contrast, the Linden Homes regions (including the popular "Bellisseria" regions) have very elaborate covenants which make parcels on those regions unsuitable for your purposes.

Both Mainland and Linden Homes can only be purchased by Premium subscribers, and monthly land fees ("tier") are paid directly to Linden Lab. Alternatively, there are many privately owned "Estate" regions where you could "buy" land in parcels or entire regions and pay monthly fees to the Estate owner. Those will come with covenants you'll need to read carefully to determine what is and isn't allowed.

At the most extreme, you can become an Estate owner yourself, buying entire regions directly from the Lab and, again, paying monthly fees directly to the Lab. This offers the most flexibility of all—you get to define your own covenant, terraform without limit, define your own terrain textures, etc., at the unit size of entire regions.

• Like 4

On 4/5/2022 at 11:09 AM, Zopper said:

I had an question about Land im wondering, if i want to buy land, which has fullrights? as in people are able to live there w rent/ have stores etc. What would that type of land be called, english isnt my first language, but i hope you understand, someone said thats called full region? 

But how would you know you are able to rent houses there/terraform, and basically make it your own how could you tell, and also where can i look for land like this? if you have an link or maybe inworld? Thankyou.

The direct answer to your question is NO, "full region" has nothing to do with the permissions on the land. It's merely a region with the full amount of prims or land impact (15,000) as distinct from a homestead which will have only 7,500.

The issues you want to solve are not addressed by types of land, but by GROUPS and the kind of permissions you build into them.

So you have to either group your land (see other threads or the knowledge base for how to do that) or set your land to a group.

Then you decide how you want that group to work. To do that, you create different ROLES in the group, and check off the boxes under each type of power they could have, for what you want them to have.

Examples: Tenants have permissions to build, but not sell land. Perhaps they have permission to return non-group set objects. But you can't give them permission to return group-set objects, or they return rental boxes, your store build they might not like, etc.

You can decide if there is ability to participate in group chat -- or not.

Study the roles in the group menu and decide which combination works for you.

You could also decide tenants who join an open group do not have build rights (I prefer to give that right out for convenience sake, but few malls do so to prevent griefing). So you also have to decide whether your group is open or needs an invitation, and whether it costs any fee. Most store groups have in fact two groups, one for builders and merchants to place prims, and another with no building rights which are customers of that store who want to get news of that store.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 5:31 PM, Qie Niangao said:

The "ultimate authority" of any land use restrictions for a region is its "Covenant" which you can access thusly:

182827600_Screenshot2022-04-05112024.thumb.png.4885e3d9cdbeba592f5c499a3fb763e7.png

Most of Mainland will have no covenant at all, which gives the ability to do everything you mentioned. In contrast, the Linden Homes regions (including the popular "Bellisseria" regions) have very elaborate covenants which make parcels on those regions unsuitable for your purposes.

Both Mainland and Linden Homes can only be purchased by Premium subscribers, and monthly land fees ("tier") are paid directly to Linden Lab. Alternatively, there are many privately owned "Estate" regions where you could "buy" land in parcels or entire regions and pay monthly fees to the Estate owner. Those will come with covenants you'll need to read carefully to determine what is and isn't allowed.

At the most extreme, you can become an Estate owner yourself, buying entire regions directly from the Lab and, again, paying monthly fees directly to the Lab. This offers the most flexibility of all—you get to define your own covenant, terraform without limit, define your own terrain textures, etc., at the unit size of entire regions.

well i was about to buy some land once and there wasnt anything written in the covenant at all, would that mean i could do anything i wanted to the land?

Mainland, in and of itself has no covenant aside from the LL ToS. Terraforming is limited, however, Most mainland can be raised/lowered by 4 meters (+/-.  You can of course, set your own rules on your land.   A private estate (island) is the same.  Your ownership grants you all estate privileges.  Terraforming is unlimited.

When purchasing on mainland, the previous owner may have set some type of covenant.  After purchasing, you can basically disregard that and set your own if you so choose.  

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Zopper said:

well i was about to buy some land once and there wasnt anything written in the covenant at all, would that mean i could do anything i wanted to the land?

Yeah, as @Rowan Amoreexplained, there are inherent limits on Mainland regions, but within those limits you can do as you please. Those limits (as I should have explained better) are expressed elsewhere in the Region/Estate window, including terraforming range, join/subdivide ability, etc.

Landowners tend to take for granted whatever abilities and limitations apply to Mainland or Estate regions. Mainlanders (like me) wouldn't necessarily think to mention that you can't change the terrain texture parameters, assign telehub routing, set object bonus factors for parcels, etc., which an Estate region owner would just assume as birthright. The Knowledge Base has a bunch of articles about land, not surprisingly because it's such a rich and complicated product for Linden Lab and its customers.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.