Never See Much Activity on This Board

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Belonging to a sim that is interested in education, mostly related to the democracy in a virtual world, I thought I would check this thread out.  But it seems very inactive.  I imagine educators or communities with an interest in education find other means of communication.   Or is there a lack of interest?  

• Like 3

It used to be more active but many years ago LL dropped support for education (for the most part anyway - a few folks were kept with discounts).  After that many of the schools left. The University of Western Australia was the latest big prescience to leave.  That left a huge void especially for machinima folks and artists.  Since then it HAS been very quiet so it isn't your imagination.  A few schools still have private islands I think but many schools and Universities moved to Opensim and do their stand alone grids there.    

Much has changed over the years, education is just one example :D.  Some things are better, some not so much.  

• Like 2

contact Madori Linden or Elli Pinion:

VWEC Eduverse Education Reserve. The purpose of this project is: The purpose of the SL Educational Reserve move is to bring educational communities together in a main grid with goals that include:

1) creating welcoming educational spaces that newcomers can easily find, that promote interaction among residents, and that provide safe, fun, attractive and easy links to the larger educational community.

2) providing educators already active in SL with a safe networking and teaching environment that addresses the concerns of their institutions’ administrators.

3) affording a gateway experience that can be used to encourage groups and institutions not already in SL to perceive the educational value of social virtual worlds.

4) advancing collaborative educational opportunities.

5) documenting and archiving best practices of learning in virtual environments.

6) advocating the educational potential for Second Life to new learners and educators.

7) supporting diversity and inclusion.

Membership Criteria and the Map: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HitjSr1SzaN4ILpYZOE_49GyENs1zYjkMv2u0tkxmeQ/edit#gid=1913652943 Move Request Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1dY3vIyHY_pDv5dKqPLrMMqqvzi5irdTiyqbXvkwweW8/viewform?edit_requested=true

Questions? Please contact Elli Pinion, Valibrarian Gregg, Dodge Threebeards or Madori Linden Please join us at the April 6th at 9:00 am SLT VWEC meeting at the new VWEC Eduverse Welcome Plaza for a tour and an opportunity to share what would help you.

VWEC Move Form

Second Life wants to provide educators a protected area within the Second Life platform. It will be a an area that hosts the Educational Community Gateway, educational Regions, some Non Profits and select regions that provide locations and activities that residents may visit. The move request is submitted to the Move Committee for placement, w...

VWEC Eduverse Education Reserve Membership Criteria

Mbrship Criteria VWEC Eduverse Membership Criteria,Definitions The purpose of this section is to allow education and non-profit estate owners to provide recommendations to Linden Labs as to guildlines for Estate Owners choosing to migrate their regions into the Education Reserve space on the mai...

Thanks so much,

Elli Pinion

• Like 4

On 3/7/2022 at 12:30 PM, Chic Aeon said:

It used to be more active but many years ago LL dropped support for education (for the most part anyway - a few folks were kept with discounts).  After that many of the schools left. The University of Western Australia was the latest big prescience to leave.  That left a huge void especially for machinima folks and artists.  Since then it HAS been very quiet so it isn't your imagination.  A few schools still have private islands I think but many schools and Universities moved to Opensim and do their stand alone grids there.    

Much has changed over the years, education is just one example :D.  Some things are better, some not so much.  

One example that I noticed (shortly after I signed on to SL last April) was when I added Rockcliffe University as one of my group tags. Its Open Sim campus on the Kitely grid is much larger than the one in SL. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.