Looking for navigable rivers to explore

Ancilla3704

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 783 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all, 

I'm just starting to get into boating in SL and I am wondering if people could recommend areas with rivers for me to explore in a rowboat or canoe. I've been doing some searching both in world and on the website and such, but most of what I've found so far is either very old or focused on sea-based sailing rather than rivers. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places or searching the right terms?  

All suggestions welcome! Thanks!

You should try the Bellisseria sims. There is quite a lot of water to be explored and sailed.
Maybe the rez place at the Porcupine Creek sim in Bellisseria is a good starting point. Use the world map from there to navigate around.
To explore a bit, you can borrow a hot air balloon there too.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

You should try the Bellisseria sims. There is quite a lot of water to be explored and sailed.
Maybe the rez place at the Porcupine Creek sim in Bellisseria is a good starting point. Use the world map from there to navigate around.

Thanks Sid! Much appreciated!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You might enjoy the Tapir region too. River through jungle, with interesting stuff in various places. There is a boat something like a freight barge that cruises the river and can be boarded. It's very peaceful; only once or twice have I seen anyone else there. Haven't tried to rez my own boat, but a friend has a swim HUD and enjoys swimming in the river there.

On 2/8/2022 at 9:07 AM, Sid Nagy said:

Are there actual rivers there? I had a Linden Home in the area that says "navigable waterways" and they were *almost* as disappointing as the "rail connected" spots with a single rez area (at least that I found following the tracks for hours on end) on the entire continent. The waterways were rather narrow, and shallow, with low bridges along many of them. I don't know if there are more open areas where you could fit a normal size boat through them, but my RIB barely fit in the channels and the narrowboat was too long to take many of the tight corners.

4 hours ago, NanashiNyx said:

Are there actual rivers there? I had a Linden Home in the area that says "navigable waterways" and they were *almost* as disappointing as the "rail connected" spots with a single rez area (at least that I found following the tracks for hours on end) on the entire continent. The waterways were rather narrow, and shallow, with low bridges along many of them. I don't know if there are more open areas where you could fit a normal size boat through them, but my RIB barely fit in the channels and the narrowboat was too long to take many of the tight corners.

Yes there are a few smaller rivers in Bellisseria.
If you expect 2000 km long broad deep rivers like the Rhine in RL, forget that. Just as there are no oceans like the RL ones in SL.
But I made some nice trips on them with my boat. And most bridges are just fine to pass. Still have no scratches on mine.
Of course they are not suitable for submarines or sailing boats. But that is the case with most rivers in RL as well.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

On 2/8/2022 at 8:36 AM, Ancilla3704 said:

if people could recommend areas with rivers for me to explore in a rowboat or canoe

The Fantasy continent in Bellisseria is full of interconnected water channels, or large streams, that can be easily explored with a small shallow bottom boat. A larger motorboat that can seat up to 4 also works, but of course you still have sim crossings, so the fewer avatars the better.  The waterway system there is a giant maze, so be prepared to spend hours getting lost.  Repeating scenery throughout the hundreds of regions adds to the confusion, so you will need to use the maps to figure out where you are.

A good starting point is the Fantasy Community Center Arrival point, where there are water rez zones nearby.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Eyrie/127/206/25

• Like 1

Amazon River is a role play area in SL with, of course, their version of the Amazon River.

They say it is OK to explore the river and forest without joining the RP. I suggest you wear an OOC tag of some kind if you choose that option. I think the crocodiles chase you whether you have the game meter on or not.

Amazon River has a variety of players and there are various types of 'games' within the Amazon game. So often the only way to know who is into the RP is to look for meter's indicator floating over a players head.

It is a well built jungle.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 783 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.