Receiving a notecard from an anonymous person - is there a script for this?

DaisyDingle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Firstly, I know NOTHING about scripting but I am able to google and have managed to find a number of free scripts and use them in SL when I have needed to.

But please don't reply in script talk, I really have no knowledge of it whatsoever. 🙂

I am setting up a mailbox and I would prefer that people drop notecards into it anonymously. I don't need their name, in fact I'd prefer not to have it. Does any one know if there is a way for this to happen? Is there a  script to 'remove' the avi name when they place their notecard into my mailbox? Or a script I can offer them if they wish it lodge their notecard anonymously? 

My guess is that it isn't possible because it could lead to all sorts of dodgy behaviour.. but if there is a script for this already I'd appreciate any info. 

Thanks 

Daisy

You are looking for a fairly common item and, in fact, almost any mailbox you find cannot tell you who added a notecard to it (unless the person puts her name in the card itself, of course). You ought to be able to find something close to what you want by looking in Marketplace for a Mailbox. If you don't find it there, try posting in the Wanted forum.  Otherwise, if you want a script that fits your specification exactly, you may post in the In World Employment forum to attract a scripter to write a custom script.

16 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

You are looking for a fairly common item and, in fact, almost any mailbox you find cannot tell you who added a notecard to it (unless the person puts her name in the card itself, of course). You ought to be able to find something close to what you want by looking in Marketplace for a Mailbox. If you don't find it there, try posting in the Wanted forum.  Otherwise, if you want a script that fits your specification exactly, you may post in the In World Employment forum to attract a scripter to write a custom script.

Agh I am so embarrassed. I EVEN thought I tested that myself....but because I knew who did the test notecard, my brain just thought that his name was there. You're exactly right of course. If I could work out how to delete this thread I would, but I can't see a delete button anywhere. 

Thanks Rolig  🙂

Some additional food for thought:

It is possible to potentially learn who submitted a notecard by inspecting its properties, where it will list the asset's creator. Granted, you have to explicitly go that extra step to see it, but it is a possibility. If you don't actively look for it, then there's nothing to worry about. But if want that extra layer of anonymity, you could structure the mailbox such that when clicked, it could give the person a blank, full-perm notecard created by you. They could then write their note on it and submit that into the mailbox for delivery to you.

Edited by Fenix Eldritch
typos
  • Like 2

I found this interesting so I tried in-world.

I created a box, allowed inventory drop, dropped notecard from an alt, and inspected the dropped notecard properties:
Creator: <alt>
Owner: <me>

So dropping a notecard is not anonymous. But as @Fenix Eldritch said you have to look for the property to find the author's name (right click notecard and click "Properties").

I also tried the method suggested by Fenix, and yes it works. If you pass a notecard to someone and let them edit it and drop it back, their name will not be in the properties, so it will be anonymous. It would require you or someone else to create a little script for it.

Also there is another way - opening a text dialog for entering the text (llTextBox), but unfortunately this is limited to only 250 characters of text.

It is also possible to create a script that reads the dropped notecard, sends you the content e.g. over e-mail (without username) and then deletes the notecard. Simple and anonymous.

Well with Valentines Day coming up I'll assume you're looking for a Secret Valentine type script. What you can do is have the script in the mailbox read the notecard, delete it and store the text, and then send the text to whoever via an instant message. Unless they leave a name in the text the IM will not give away their name, the sender will show up as the mailbox.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 3:02 PM, Fenix Eldritch said:

...give the person a blank, full-perm notecard created by you. They could then write their note on it and submit that into the mailbox for delivery to you.

I believe they would still be listed as the "last owner" of that notecard. Gayngel's method is the most reliably anonymous, but it has its own caveats, such as message length (unless you split the notecard into multiple messages) and not being able to store those messages anywhere.

On 1/29/2022 at 7:44 AM, Gayngel said:

Well with Valentines Day coming up I'll assume you're looking for a Secret Valentine type script. What you can do is have the script in the mailbox read the notecard, delete it and store the text, and then send the text to whoever via an instant message. Unless they leave a name in the text the IM will not give away their name, the sender will show up as the mailbox.

It is definitely nothing to do with Valentines day!! Dear lord! 

Thanks for all the info to everyone... that's great.

On 1/29/2022 at 6:29 AM, tomm55 said:

I also tried the method suggested by Fenix, and yes it works. If you pass a notecard to someone and let them edit it and drop it back, their name will not be in the properties, so it will be anonymous. It would require you or someone else to create a little script for it.

Are you sure? I tried this after reading that it worked for you and as soon as I transferred it to someone and they wrote on it and saved it so they could post it in the mailbox.. their name was in 'properties' as the owner. 

1 hour ago, DaisyDingle said:

Are you sure? I tried this after reading that it worked for you and as soon as I transferred it to someone and they wrote on it and saved it so they could post it in the mailbox.. their name was in 'properties' as the owner.

Well yes, when they are given a copy of the notecard, they become the current owner of their copy. But when they drop it into your mailbox, you become the owner of that new copy. So the net result is that you are still listed as the creator/owner of the copy that ultimately gets put in your mailbox.

16 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I believe they would still be listed as the "last owner" of that notecard.

Does last owner apply to non-rezzable inventory assets too? I thought it was only prim/mesh objects. I'm having trouble finding more info on that, how does one query last owner for inventory assets?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Fenix Eldritch said:

Well yes, when they are given a copy of the notecard, they become the current owner of their copy. But when they drop it into your mailbox, you become the owner of that new copy. So the net result is that you are still listed as the creator/owner of the copy that ultimately gets put in your mailbox.

oh that makes sense.. I didn't drop it in and then read it.. sigh... I need to be more thorough. I will try that when I log in tomorrow... I am off to bed now! thanks! 🙂

5 hours ago, Fenix Eldritch said:

Does last owner apply to non-rezzable inventory assets too? I thought it was only prim/mesh objects.

It is.  If you want to find the previous owner of an object, you can query llList2Key(llGetObjectDetails(object_UUID,[OBJECT_LAST_OWNER_ID]),0); but that doesn't work for any other assets, like notecards, animations, sounds, etc. 

• Thanks 2

On 1/30/2022 at 3:22 PM, Fenix Eldritch said:

Does last owner apply to non-rezzable inventory assets too? I thought it was only prim/mesh objects. I'm having trouble finding more info on that, how does one query last owner for inventory assets?

I was thinking of the properties window when right-clicking the inventory asset. But apparently that never shows the last owner so I must've imagined it.

On 1/30/2022 at 2:22 PM, Fenix Eldritch said:

I tried to look it up too and looks like the "last owner" is only for objects.

If there was a last owner for inventory, I suppose there would be a constant for it somewhere, e.g. here http://wiki.secondlife.com/w/index.php?title=Category:LSL_Constants&pagefrom=JSON_DELETE JSON+DELETE#mw-pages but there is none.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.